Activity trackers--your recommendations

Options

Replies

• randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    To each their own.... the information provided in the activity manager, as well as the unparalleled accuracy override the "look" of the armband or the low price. *shrug* :ohwell:
    Unparelleled accuracy of the BodyMedia? I don't know if I'd call 9.3% error vs. 10.1% error unparalleled accuracy.

http://time.com/2857434/find-out-how-accurate-your-trendy-fitness-monitor-is/

More is more... *shrug* That is exactly what I mean. WTF are you talking about?
    I'm talking about a less than 1% difference in accuracy between the clunky, expensive BMF and the small $59 Fitbit Zip. Does that help?

It isn't clunky to me nor expensive... to each their own. *shrug* Accurate is accurate.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I just ordered my jawbone. I don't care if I see my activity on the tracker I can wait till I sync it with my phone/computer.

After reading a lot of reviews and talking to people with them I chose the Jawbone ...not great reviews for the fitbit and it looks "cheap" imo...much like a swatch watch from my youth...

looking forward to seeing what it can do for me.
  • Early_Riser
    Early_Riser Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Love my FitBit Flex
  • mikeyrs
    mikeyrs Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I started out with a Withings Pulse, which I still wear on my pocket. I lost my first Pulse and bought another. The Pulse is rugged, accurate, and it gives lotsa' data for you to absorb and act on. The Pulse O2 (retail $120) is the same except it comes with a wrist band as well as a clip so you can wear it where ever you like it. The Pulse does not seem to be water resistant so showering with it is out of the question. I also have a Withings scale and a Withings blood pressure monitor. Data from all these devices are integrated together through the Withings Health Mate App, which is excellent. The Health Mate Web App and iOS App are designed for monitoring family health. However, these Apps are weak in the areas of community forums and competitive events. Withings is MFP compatible.

I also wear a Garmin Vivofit ($130). I like the Vivofit because it is waterproof, does not require recharging, and the Garmin Connect Web App and iOS App are oriented more toward fitness and competition rather than diet and health. Garmin Connect is MFP compatible.

I bought my wife a Striiv Touch ($99) because I loved my Striiv Smart Pedometer so much. The Striiv Touch is targeted at integration with your daily lifestyle. The Touch uses the Striiv gaming engine which gives you short and varied gaming challenges that are loads of fun to do. The Touch also includes functionality like Incoming Call and Text Alerts. My wife really likes the Striiv Touch but wishes it remained illuminated all the time. I think that would drain the battery quickly though. Striiv Touch should be compatible with MFP and Lose It!
  • veloman21
    veloman21 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    I've had the Vivofit since May. There are pros and cons with all these devices and none of them are particularly 'accurate' all that you can hope for is that they are consistent so that you can measure your own relative progress.

for the Vivofit

Pros
    Comfortable to wear 24/7
    Quite lightweight and not bulky so fits under a shirt cuff easily.
    Compatible with a HRM so that you can track calories when doing other things like weightlifting, tennis, mowing the lawn etc.
    Waterproof so you can wear it in the shower or when swimming.
    Does not need to be recharged, batteries are expected to last about a year (this is a really big deal for me)
    Display is easy to read and shows time and date as well as steps, distance, HR etc.
    (Finally) Garmin and MFP have worked out a way to sync data both ways
    Syncing is by Bluetooth with your phone so long as it's nearby or via +ANT usb stick with your pc

Cons
    Display is very easy to read during the day but is not backlit so very hard to read in low light situations (trade off for longer battery life)
    Garmin Connect software is pretty bad but they have made a lot of progress since May. I'm hoping that by the end of the year the majority of the bugs will be sorted out and enhancements offered. As I use a Garmin Edge 500 for biking and a FR310XT for running, I do find the concept of having all my activity data in one place and the ability to compare and run reports over time.
    The Vivofit can be fooled into counting steps when you are just waving your arm. Granted this is not a normal activity for most people but it's good to realize what the device can and can't do.
    The little red bar that tells you to get off your duff!!

On the whole I'm happy with it. Now that it syncs with MFP it is great to see adjustments made to my total calorie expenditure each day. If Garmin continue to develop the software side of things then I think this device will be a success for them and is all that I need personally.
  • aybarlow
    aybarlow Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I have had the Vivofit since March, and I like it. I had the Bodymedia link....and I liked it a lot too. But, if you are one that doesn't do a lot of moving forward(running, walking) to get their exercise in, the bodymedia isn't going to calculate your exercise as well. I do more weight lifting and crossfit, so a tracker with HRM capabilities more suited me....along with not having something strapped to my upper arm that became uncomfortable throughout the day. Also, having the tracker on my wrist, and being water proof, I have never forgotten to wear it!
  • randomtai
    Options
    I have had the Vivofit since March, and I like it. I had the Bodymedia link....and I liked it a lot too. But, if you are one that doesn't do a lot of moving forward(running, walking) to get their exercise in, the bodymedia isn't going to calculate your exercise as well. I do more weight lifting and crossfit, so a tracker with HRM capabilities more suited me....along with not having something strapped to my upper arm that became uncomfortable throughout the day. Also, having the tracker on my wrist, and being water proof, I have never forgotten to wear it!

You have it backwards. A HRM is only good for steady state cardio. The BMF with its sensors tracks the adjustments you get from lifting.
  • aybarlow
    aybarlow Posts: 5 Member
    Options

You have it backwards. A HRM is only good for steady state cardio. The BMF with its sensors tracks the adjustments you get from lifting.

Well, my BMF must have had it backwards also. As I stated, the BMF didn't calculate as well, and sometimes not at all UNLESS I was doing cardio such as running/walking. I get most of my "cardio" from mountain biking(BMF showed I virtually didn't do anything), beach volleyball(BMF tracked steps, but that was all), weight lifting(again, BMF hardly showed I got off the couch), and crossfit(virtually nothing)...but moving on, having the HRM capabilities will also be more accurate for steady and non-steady state cardio.
  • jbrownnolan
    jbrownnolan Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I do LOVE my Body Media (I don't love the monthly membership fees), and like I said I will keep it till it dies, I have met lots of new people because of it, it has stricken up many many conversations with friends, family member, and strangers who want to learn more. It has glitched on me a couple of times lately but not enough for me to abandon it (that's also why I say until it dies, it may be on its way out). Because of it I am able to start up meaningful conversations with anyone who asks be about it, been able to tell them my story, and I would say that 90% of the people who have asked me about it could stand some extra activity and a little less weight in their lives (and they've come to me, not me to them, so I find it easier to talk to them about it). I even had a woman at the zoo this weekend take a picture of it, we sat and talked about the struggles of losing weight (how I was once 200+lbs (9 yrs ago) and am now in the 120's, how she's hovering around 200 and would like to start a new lifestyle and perhaps this is a route she may look into) although I never even got her name she walked away thanking me for the conversation, that it was just what she needed.

When I say it's a bit intrusive I simply mean "it's super sexy to wear at a wedding or a night on the town" LOL, everyone is use to me wearing it now though.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    I hated that about the BMF. I wouldn't wear it without long sleeves because I felt like, "Look at me! I need a gadget to help me not to overeat!" I try to avoid all conversation starters, though. :tongue:
  • randomtai
    Options

Well, my BMF must have had it backwards also. As I stated, the BMF didn't calculate as well, and sometimes not at all UNLESS I was doing cardio such as running/walking. I get most of my "cardio" from mountain biking(BMF showed I virtually didn't do anything), beach volleyball(BMF tracked steps, but that was all), weight lifting(again, BMF hardly showed I got off the couch), and crossfit(virtually nothing)...but moving on, having the HRM capabilities will also be more accurate for steady and non-steady state cardio.

Yeah... ok.
  • pitapocket
    pitapocket Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • WalkingAlong
    Options

Yeah... ok.
    My BMF was the same. Maybe they've changed them since but I'm pretty sure the skin sensors added very little and it got most of its info from its accelerometer, just like the other trackers.

Jawbone has owned Body Media for a few years. I don't see them putting skin sensors in their UP trackers.
  • HelenWater
    HelenWater Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    If all you want is accuracy, a bracelet, and a display then Polar Loop or Garmin Vivofit will do what you want. I use both and like different things about each. DCRainmaker writes very good reviews of the these kinds of products so it could be worth your while to check out what he has to say.

Regarding accuracy: I don't concern myself with the activity tracker counting each step, but I do look at trends over time and the interaction with my diet.

All the best with your health and fitness journey.
  • Miljos
    Miljos Posts: 6
    Options
    I use the Withings Pulse (O2), mostly on my wrist but I put it on my hip or in my pocket sometimes (good point here for the Pulse: it's very adaptable that way, it's not wrist-only or hip-only). I used a Fitbit Flex for a while. The only feature I have felt the loss of, between these two, is the vibrating alarm (Flex). Otherwise I prefer the Pulse. Found it more slighty more accurate, screen display (Pulse) is handy, the battery life seems longer on the Pulse, I had a rash with the Flex band that I don't have with the Pulse one. Speaking of the band, they are really different. The Pulse has a more flexible one, the material has clearly more elasticity and the band itself is less thick than the Flex (but it's larger, the device itself is larger as well). Finally a big plus is the way the Pulse is connected to my phone. I had a lot of problems with the connection of my Flex to my phone, and that's what prompted me to change.
  • ahoier
    ahoier Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I've seen these chinese fitness trackers over at dealsmachine.com and wow, the prices look mighty fine! LOL. I'm just curious how well they'd hold up......most all of these are made in China anyways right.....? So How bad can they really be? lol.

http://www.dealsmachine.com/best_185481.html even does sleep/pedometer trackering......

http://www.dealsmachine.com/best_186616.html does steps distance, energy (calories), sleep tracking, bluetooth

http://www.dealsmachine.com/best_187910.html a strange looking LED readout one lol with sleep monitoring

http://www.dealsmachine.com/best_187998.html

They gotta bunch of various versions......what's odd is none of them directly look similar in any way to the major brands we have here in the states lol.....

And anther neat one, http://www.dealsmachine.com/best_186499.html but no sleep monitoring.....and that's something I'd really be interested in.....I've tried the various sleep apps on my phone and they just dont cut it lol......

http://www.dealsmachine.com/best_183805.html is kinda neat cause theres no cable, it is a dongle that plugs directly into the USB port.....kinda nifty,,,,as I have a habit of losing USB cables lol

But yea, they are tempting.....the most expensive I think I seen was like 40 bucks......vs. 99$ (FitBit Flex) lol
  • Raynne413
    Raynne413 Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    I've seen these chinese fitness trackers over at dealsmachine.com and wow, the prices look mighty fine! LOL. I'm just curious how well they'd hold up......most all of these are made in China anyways right.....? So How bad can they really be? lol.

http://www.dealsmachine.com/best_185481.html even does sleep/pedometer trackering......

http://www.dealsmachine.com/best_186616.html does steps distance, energy (calories), sleep tracking, bluetooth

http://www.dealsmachine.com/best_187910.html a strange looking LED readout one lol with sleep monitoring

http://www.dealsmachine.com/best_187998.html

They gotta bunch of various versions......what's odd is none of them directly look similar in any way to the major brands we have here in the states lol.....

And anther neat one, http://www.dealsmachine.com/best_186499.html but no sleep monitoring.....and that's something I'd really be interested in.....I've tried the various sleep apps on my phone and they just dont cut it lol......

http://www.dealsmachine.com/best_183805.html is kinda neat cause theres no cable, it is a dongle that plugs directly into the USB port.....kinda nifty,,,,as I have a habit of losing USB cables lol

But yea, they are tempting.....the most expensive I think I seen was like 40 bucks......vs. 99$ (FitBit Flex) lol

I have to admit, they do look interesting. I like the design on some of them!
  • WalkingAlong
    Options
    http://www.dealsmachine.com/best_187934.html

This one IS a Misfit Shine, with the brand name changed on the marketing pics. Weird. I know the Fitbits are manufactured in Asia and there are a LOT of defective ones. I wonder if the manufacturers have an ok to sell factory seconds or returns under different names? Or if they're doing so illegally?

I bought a no-name MP3 player from Hong Kong for a kid years ago and it never worked right and returns took months. I finally threw it out. I'm not sure I'd want to try this. Tempting, though, for that much savings! Then again, no manufacturer support would suck. From the English on that site, I'm pretty sure you'd be on your own for figuring the thing out, if you had problems.
  • KellyAJD
    KellyAJD Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I also would like the Misfit Shine to connect to MyFitnessPal!!!
  • ahoier
    ahoier Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the confirmation ;) Never even heard of the "Misfit Shine" though.....lol.....seems even at my local stores everyone has the Fitbits, some SyncBurn gadget, and then the Jawbone one. Seem to be the most popular.