Binge eater

Options
I have up and down with my weight since my early 20's...but never really having a weight problem until I was in my 30's, after I had my children. I suffered from depression and blamed all my weight gain on the fact that my husband wanted a divorce and I had two children under two years old...I don't remember if that is when the binge eating began or not, but I remember clearly binge eating heavily during those years. I have no idea how to control it...I want to lose weight, I have done so several times, so I know I can. I just have trouble either getting emotionally low enough to start losing or maintaining it once I am there. I always end up binging. I am in counseling, but we are trying to deal with other layers of issues that my therapist feels are in some way causing the binging. I am the heaviest I have ever been, except for during pregnancy right now and I have several health problems that I know would be so much better if I could the weight off, things like high blood pressure, pain in my back and joints, etc...
I really want to lose the weight but I am just not capable of it right now and it is killing me. Does anyone else have issues with this type of eating disorder? I really need to heal, but right now I feel broken.

Replies

• Allisonfitness99
    Allisonfitness99 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I too actually suffer from binge eating disorder and going therapy for it... Mine started when I moved away from all my friends because of being bullied so much in school, by the end I was scared to walk out my door.. I started sneaking food and I would inhale it to the point I couldn't even taste the food asking as I was eating it I was happy.. But as I was gaining weight I realize what I was doing was unhealthy or right I went to the dr and he told me I had binge eating disorder.. It dident stop then but over the last year iv slowly stopped and that's because I had a great support system and help from strangers who have gone threw the same thing because it was easy to talk to them and they listened ... As cliché as it sounds really do get better.. Just keep fighting threw !! Good luck!
  • jennk221
    jennk221 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I too actually suffer from binge eating disorder and going therapy for it... Mine started when I moved away from all my friends because of being bullied so much in school, by the end I was scared to walk out my door.. I started sneaking food and I would inhale it to the point I couldn't even taste the food asking as I was eating it I was happy.. But as I was gaining weight I realize what I was doing was unhealthy or right I went to the dr and he told me I had binge eating disorder.. It dident stop then but over the last year iv slowly stopped and that's because I had a great support system and help from strangers who have gone threw the same thing because it was easy to talk to them and they listened ... As cliché as it sounds really do get better.. Just keep fighting threw !! Good luck!

Thank you so much...it's helps to know I am not alone.
  • tlicttbh
    tlicttbh Posts: 89
    Options
    I've been struggling with binge eating for many years. The books that have helped me a lot are:
    Overcoming emotional eating by Geneen Roth
    EatQ by Susan Elbers.

There are some MFP groups on binge eating, emotional eating, etc., but unfortunately, they don't seem to be very active.
  • ChronicOptimist
    ChronicOptimist Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    I've suffered from Binge Eating Disorder for years and am proud to say that today is 70 days since my last binge. BED is such a bear, and I'm so happy to hear that you're working with a counselor. I know it can seem like slow going but that's definitely the right start. I've oscillated between anorexia and BED, and I truly believe that severe restriction and extreme indulgence are two sides of the same coin. I know it really helps me to stay balanced in my diet, and eat enough calories, so restriction and denial don't lead to binging.

Feel free to add me as a friend. I still struggle with this and it can really help to have support along the way!
  • skjones0323
    skjones0323 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Yep--I have Binge Eating Disorder as well and it seems the smallest thing sets me off. Today I had a bad episode with my daughter who didn't want to mind and it sent me into a rage, then extreme guilt for being such a horrible mother, then wanting to kill myself because what's the use, I'll never kick this, to back home to pretend everything was OK so I could cook dinner and my son ended up coming over. I felt better once he was here, but in the meantime I consumed 4 small ice creams, two protein bars, a bag of popcorn and I'm not sure what else. Then I had 1.5 pieces of meatloaf and cabbage and onions for dinner for "show" if you know what I mean. I certainly wasn't hungry. I feel/felt like such a failure. All my friends on my friends list are having day after day of being under their calories and I am having day after day of screwing up. I did see my psychiatrist the other day and I am going to start counseling again. Feeling pretty discouraged,
  • ukaryote
    ukaryote Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    Depression will get you to eat more, and binge eat, for sure. it did that to me. In addition , there was a recent study (decently done) that stated people tend to get heavier when stressed - you body wants to hold onto the calories, i guess the stress means lean times are coming. You get twofer! not in a good way.

Yes, you really need to heal. I understand very well about layers of feelings and issues. Therapy will take time. Medicines take time. Feeling guilty about binge eating (or anything) makes it worse, but just telling you "don't feel guilty" probably won't make it go away.

It is a disease, and most of us have to get better before we can get back to a more regular plan of exercise and eating normally.

It is a long trail. you will get there.
  • Elif84
    Elif84 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I'm with you on the binge eating. I've been dealing with binge eating since I was a child, especially after I was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes. It's gotten a little better recently, but food is always, always on my mind. I think about when I get to eat my next meal as I am eating a meal, so I continue to eat more food because it's just too much time between my meal and snack time. I continue to eat after I'm full because I'm not psychologically satisfied. That's great that you are seeking help through counseling, I Never thought to go to counseling for it. I feel like I'm addicted to this behavior. If I'm not eating, I'm going through withdrawal. My mind starts racing and so I eat something just to calm me down.
    I try to keep myself occupied now so I'm not constantly eating, like working out, cleaning or spending time with people. Hang in there and you're welcome to add me if you are seeking some support :-)

*Edited-I no longer look like the person in the "Now" part of my profile picture..lol I've gained weight since then, I have it up so it re motivates me to get back into shape.
  • jennk221
    jennk221 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I'm with you on the binge eating. I've been dealing with binge eating since I was a child, especially after I was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes. It's gotten a little better recently, but food is always, always on my mind. I think about when I get to eat my next meal as I am eating a meal, so I continue to eat more food because it's just too much time between my meal and snack time. I continue to eat after I'm full because I'm not psychologically satisfied. That's great that you are seeking help through counseling, I Never thought to go to counseling for it. I feel like I'm addicted to this behavior. If I'm not eating, I'm going through withdrawal. My mind starts racing and so I eat something just to calm me down.
    I try to keep myself occupied now so I'm not constantly eating, like working out, cleaning or spending time with people. Hang in there and you're welcome to add me if you are seeking some support :-)

*Edited-I no longer look like the person in the "Now" part of my profile picture..lol I've gained weight since then, I have it up so it re motivates me to get back into shape.

I never thought about seeing a therapist for it either, I was actually going for something else and this just came out. I hope it can help...like I said there are alot of layers before you even get to the binge / emotional eating.