New to running, have a question

Options
I have just started running, and by running, I really mean jogging for a minute and walking for a minute. I have discovered that something about my body that has never been an issue may become an issue.
First of all, I am 5'2, 43, with 60+ pounds still to lose (down from 90). My left leg is 1/2 inch longer than my right leg. It is never an issue, and no one knows except the nice lady that hems my pants. However, since I have started jogging, my right hip is sore/tight/achy/fatigued. My guess is that it's from the slight bit of extra stretch it has to give.
Question, what are some stretches/exercises/TLC that I can do to alleviate this? I can't be the only person with a slightly longer leg, and I don't want to give this up.
Thanks, Kris

Replies

• abcgfed
    abcgfed Posts: 26
    Options
    I don't know about stretches but would it be possible to put an insert into your right shoe to even you out?
  • JupeJones
    JupeJones Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Yup. Leg length imbalances will REALLY show up when you start running (and it's apparently more common than people think!). I doubt that stretching will do any good, but you never know.

You could try removing the insert that's already in the shoe on the "long" side. That might reduce the difference enough.

But really, I'd recommend that you talk to a podiatrist or a sports medicine doc. They will probably prescribe orthotics (fancy inserts) to help.
  • krisg71
    krisg71 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Thanks! Inserts seem like a logical solution. I'm kinda wondering why I didn't think of this :ohwell:
  • hill8570
    hill8570 Posts: 1,466 Member
    Options
    1/2" is quite a bit of imbalance. If you can afford them I'd try to get some custom orthotics made -- I doubt you'll get very good results with something off the shelf.
  • krisg71
    krisg71 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your input. I have an appointment next week for an unrelated matter, but I will bring this up with my doctor. It seems so weird that it is bothering me at all when it makes no difference in my daily life. Like I said, no one knows if i don't tell them.
  • runner359
    runner359 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I can tell you that runners can injure themselves just by running on roads that are sloped to one side or the other. I'm thinking a shorter leg would cause the same effect.

I'd trust the folks at a running store (or a sports medicine doctor) before I'd trust a regular general practice doctor.