Question about 5 rep max

Options
Earlier this year, I set a goal to squat 5 reps @ 160 lbs by 8/10.

I have been lifting in 5x5 format and my current working weight is 140 lbs (tomorrow). I squatted on Monday and this was my workout: 45x10, 95x8, 115x5, 135x5x5 - this was not "to failure" in fact it felt pretty easy for me.

Does it sound feasible that I would be able to complete a 5 rep set of 160? I am 5'4" and currently about 155 lbs. I've searched around to find my 5 rep max, but it is calculated by "I can do 15 reps of x weight" and ain't nobody got time for that (well, I've just never done that) :ohwell:

Any help/advice is appreciated. I know that the best way to know is to "just do it" like Nike, but y'know. I have never failed a squat and my ego is easily bruised. I'm probably going to attempt this on Saturday either way.

Replies

• dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    Just try it and see what happens. failing a squat isn't a big deal, if anything, get a spotter and push yourself.

I'd say, based on what you were showing, it is probably achievable for you, and there is only ONE way to find out if estimators match up to your legitimate capabilities.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    yep just try it... if your squatting in a power cage then just set up the safety bars that way if you fail then they are there to catch.

if no safety bars and you cant get out of the hole, then just drop the weight behind you and you go forward.

if you've never failed a lift, then it's high time to get that cherry popped :laugh:
  • levitateme
    levitateme Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    Just try it and see what happens. failing a squat isn't a big deal, if anything, get a spotter and push yourself.

I'd say, based on what you were showing, it is probably achievable for you, and there is only ONE way to find out if estimators match up to your legitimate capabilities.

I usually lift with a spotter, but I've never needed a boost on a squat. Bench is another story. I'm just going to go for it. Thanks!
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong at all with getting a squat boost.

I was doing some back squats a couple weeks back, on rep 27 of the set, I got in the hole, knee tweaked a little and I couldn't come up, some arms came under me, and that little boost got me up, and got my last 3 of that set done.

Nothing wrong with it at all, it means you're at the edge of your performance capabilities, and pushing against it. That's where growth happens.
  • levitateme
    levitateme Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    yep just try it... if your squatting in a power cage then just set up the safety bars that way if you fail then they are there to catch.

if no safety bars and you cant get out of the hole, then just drop the weight behind you and you go forward.

if you've never failed a lift, then it's high time to get that cherry popped :laugh:

I lift in a cage and/or rack (whichever is available), so there's always a fail bar, but that clang is SO LOUD - I think I'll turn beet red.

I'll do it. I'm sold.
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Options
    A true spot is to make sure you don't get stapled to the bench or to help you out of the hole on a squat. It is not to give you a boost. If you can't do it without a "boost" then you can't do it. With that being said, take a shot at your goal and either use safety bars, use a spotter to pull you out, or just drop the bar. BUT, if you can't get 5 reps unassisted, you didn't do it.
  • Mighty_Rabite
    Mighty_Rabite Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    If 135x5 felt fairly easy, I'd say you are almost certainly capable of 160x5. Possibly more, but as you and others have said, the only way to discover is to try!
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    Don't burn yourself out with 3 full sets before you attempt the 5RM. Do one warm up set, then go straight to 160x5 so you have all of your energy.
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Options
    Don't burn yourself out with 3 full sets before you attempt the 5RM. Do one warm up set, then go straight to 160x5 so you have all of your energy.

I agree that you don't want to wear yourself out, BUT I would do more of a warm-up than that. If not, your're body isn't going to be ready for the load and it's going to feel heavy as ****. Before you start squatting I would also recommending do a few box jumps. Not done in a cardio fashion, but just at an easy pace that will help prime your CNS better for the heavier loads. Honestly, I would do this all the time period. It doesn't wear you out at all, and I personally notice it in all my lifts if my CNS isn't primed. I would do something like...

bar x 5-8 reps
    65 x 5
    95 x 3
    115 x 1
    135 x 1
    *1 box jump > rest 30-sec to 60-sec (this provides some neuro-muscular pre-activation)
    160 x 5
  • patrickblo13
    patrickblo13 Posts: 831 Member
    Options

I agree, keep your warm up sets limited.