Pre-Work Out Meal Ideas?

Options
ladylyda
ladylyda Posts: 14 Member
You've just arrived home from work and have 45minutes to get changed, and have something to eat before you're due at the gym. You're hungry and need energy, but don't want to be in food coma before working out.

What do you do? What meal do you make?

Replies

• thavoice
    thavoice Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    Peanu butter sandwich, or just a scoop of it on a spoon.

QUick
  • TwinmotherO
    Options
    Microwave a quick instant oatmeal that takes a couple of minutes or bring a banana in the car with you on the way there and make sure to take along a scoop of Isolate protein in a shaker bottle just for your protein don't use your water bottle that you use during your work out. Add water to your protein after your work out and drink as soon as your in your car and make sure to eat your largest meal right away no longer then 2 hours afterwards. Eg. what you'd normally have for supper. If you don't then the muscle that you just started producing with attack the muscle you had already and you've just worked out for nothing. When and what you eat is more important then you may think.
  • MaidensAndMonsters
    Options
    My go-to meals are oatmeal, banana, peanut butter toast.....brown rice with pasta sauce (this is actually good despite how it sounds)....think complex carbs to fuel you through your work out.
  • monolith66
    monolith66 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    My go-to meals are oatmeal, banana, peanut butter toast.....brown rice with pasta sauce (this is actually good despite how it sounds)....think complex carbs to fuel you through your work out.

^^This.....Couldn't have said it any better.
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    Pop Tart FTW
  • monolith66
    monolith66 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Microwave a quick instant oatmeal that takes a couple of minutes or bring a banana in the car with you on the way there and make sure to take along a scoop of Isolate protein in a shaker bottle just for your protein don't use your water bottle that you use during your work out. Add water to your protein after your work out and drink as soon as your in your car and make sure to eat your largest meal right away no longer then 2 hours afterwards. Eg. what you'd normally have for supper. If you don't then the muscle that you just started producing with attack the muscle you had already and you've just worked out for nothing. When and what you eat is more important then you may think.

Make sure that you've had a good meal 2 hours before.
    Eat banana on the way to the gym
    Do 10 minutes of cardio to start
    Do 1 hour of weights free or machine target one area at a time Eg. Arms one day, legs the next then core the last
    Do 15 minutes of cardio afterwards
    Drink Protein shake right afterwards
    Eat a HUGE meal after before 2 hours afterwards. Don't skip this meal or you will not do well on this fantastic journey.
    I paid a lot just to learn this and am passing it on enjoy!
    Let me know how it goes.

Yea, that's rather excessive.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Banana, handful of nuts, or protein shake.
  • 970Mikaela1
    970Mikaela1 Posts: 2,013 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I go with half an English muffin and peanut butter, sometimes a quest bar. Sometimes both.
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options

Make sure that you've had a good meal 2 hours before.
    Eat banana on the way to the gym
    Do 10 minutes of cardio to start
    Do 1 hour of weights free or machine target one area at a time Eg. Arms one day, legs the next then core the last
    Do 15 minutes of cardio afterwards
    Drink Protein shake right afterwards
    Eat a HUGE meal after before 2 hours afterwards. Don't skip this meal or you will not do well on this fantastic journey.
    I paid a lot just to learn this and am passing it on enjoy!
    Let me know how it goes.
    None of that above is necessary.

Also, the bold, you got ripped off.

Somewhere, someone is sitting at home counting their money and laughing lol
  • FranceyPants
    FranceyPants Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    A constant struggle for me too! I feel sick if I eat directly before I work out, but sometimes I don't have enough energy to actually work out (especially first thing in the morning or after work)!

My go-tos:
    - A large teaspoon of peanut butter, sometimes accompanied with a thermos of black coffee (which I sip on the way to the gym)
    - A glass of orange juice (real stuff, not concentrate)
    - A few crackers with cottage cheese (maybe a couple of saltines or something)
    - A handful of nuts (almonds or cashews are great)
    - A couple of medjool dates

I try to keep it small because, like I said, I start to feel sick if I have too much food in my stomach while working out.
  • NZnative_Girl
    NZnative_Girl Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I have a banana or apple slices with a table spoon of peanut butter :-)