Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Nutrisystem (I hope I'm not breaking the rules here...)

I'm about to start an intensive 10 week medical training that will be full time M-F 10-12 hrs a day. I'm trying to prepare myself the best I can for this and realize some things will be compromised as a result of such long hours. I have currently been following Atkins but it requires a lot of grocery shopping, planning and preparing all of which I will not have the time or energy for once I'm in the program. So, with that in mind I am considering trying a food delivery service. Nutrisystem seems to be the most legit service; they have a money back guarantee, with each food option it lists the nutritional value, and it's not all frozen food. This is certainly not my ideal way of eating but to get me through the program it seems like a good idea to me. Does anyone have experience with this? Oh and MFP has nutrisystem food in the database so I'll still be able to track here :smile:

Replies

• What about stocking up on Lean Cuisines and other diet frozen foods? Then you arent stuck with their selection. Plus Nutrisystem seems to be pretty pricey.
    You can also make a few meals in advance, put them in ziploc plastic containers and freeze them and heat them up when you are ready to eat. Just remember to do all the research first before you get stuck with something you might not have been expecting.
  • Darlis
    Darlis Posts: 191 Member
    Tried Nutrisystem several years ago....yes, I lost some weight......but if you think you are grocery shopping now, just wait until you see the list of things you have to ADD to the Nutrisystem meals. Check the website and see if you can look at all the fresh stuff it requires you to buy. Honestly, I have done just as well with prepackaged Healthy Choice, Cafe steamers, prepacked salads, etc. I plan meals in advance and just shop for all of it at the same time. I save quite a lot over what I paid for Nutrisystem. Which gives you the basic meal....breakfast might be a ceral bar, some cereal, or oatmeal, etc., lunch and dinner are a prepacked main course or soup, then you still have you add dairy, fresh fruit and fresh veggies. For me it just wasn't worth the cost. Friend me here and send me an email if I can answer any questions, I will do my best.
  • We make our own rules here! the only rule I think we actually have is to support one another no matter what! I know I wouldnt have the money for the Nutrisystem stuff, but I think if you feel like its gonna keep you on the right track then go for it! It's a learning process for us all! I don't know anyone on nutrisystem, but my mom has done jenny craig and has had success.. GL to you!!!
  • My parents used this and lost a good bit of weight. Problem was they didn't change their lifestyle and they gained it all back plus some. If you really only need it for a short period, I think it could be helpful - they don't taste too bad and they are easy to pack on the go. They also have a good set of nutrients - lots of fiber and protein. You still have to add fruits and salads though. Be sure you do that!

Also realize that you have to come back to cooking and preparing and thinking about your meals when it's over. That's the only way to ensure you stick to your goal of having a new life with a new weight. That's the only way I've kept the 50+lbs I lost two years ago away - paying attention and being intentional about eating and cooking. Doesn't work all the time - I still eat some frozen dinners - but I also buy healthier frozen stuff when I have to.

And don't forget - 10 hour days or not - that you MUST rest and you MUST move around. Even just pacing the hospital wings or doing ten pushups every couple of hours can help you stay alert and sleep well (at least 7-8 hours a night). Don't let a job or training be more imporant to your health. What good is a medical professional who isn't healthy? I'm not even sure I'd trust one!! :)

Happy trails!
  • My brother and sister in law went on Nutrisystem and lost 60lbs each. But...it didn't teach them how to eat and they gained it all back and then some. There's an actual diet connected with Lean Cuisine that I used before and it works. Now, I usually cook several meals ahead of time or plan something easy for breakfast and lunch and have a lean cuisine for dinner. Hope this helps
  • My brother and sister in law went on Nutrisystem and lost 60lbs each. But...it didn't teach them how to eat and they gained it all back and then some. There's an actual diet connected with Lean Cuisine that I used before and it works. Now, I usually cook several meals ahead of time or plan something easy for breakfast and lunch and have a lean cuisine for dinner. Hope this helps

I did this too, in fact within the last twelve moths. I gained all the weight back and 4 pounds extra. The food isn't too bad, it is pricey and there are a lot of add on's you have to prepare during the day. Also - the food is processed and full of fiber. If you are going to be with others all day there is a umm... side affect. :blushing:
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    I'm about to start an intensive 10 week medical training that will be full time M-F 10-12 hrs a day. I'm trying to prepare myself the best I can for this and realize some things will be compromised as a result of such long hours. I have currently been following Atkins but it requires a lot of grocery shopping, planning and preparing all of which I will not have the time or energy for once I'm in the program. So, with that in mind I am considering trying a food delivery service. Nutrisystem seems to be the most legit service; they have a money back guarantee, with each food option it lists the nutritional value, and it's not all frozen food. This is certainly not my ideal way of eating but to get me through the program it seems like a good idea to me. Does anyone have experience with this? Oh and MFP has nutrisystem food in the database so I'll still be able to track here :smile:

Atkins is based on eating whole foods (natural)............Nutri-system is far away from that!!!

Why not cook up a bunch of crustless quiche, casseroles, soups, stews, etc , roast and freeze and then take with you.
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    I used Nutrisystem for about 6 months when I was super busy and didn't have time or facilities to cook or refrigerate things. The food isn't bad, some better than others of course. It is convenient. While I was using it, they changed something in the addatives, not sure what it was. In about month 5 the change occured. The first 4 months went fine (maintained my weight because I wasn't doing the plan verbatum) and I had little or no side effects. When I got the 5th months worth of food all the packaging had changed. Ok. When I ate that food, some tasted better, some were kinda powdery tasting, and ALL of it gave me very bad gas and diarrhea. You never knew what the "outcome" was going to be. I spent more time in the bathroom than anywhere else. I had to take extra clothes with me at all times. I called them and was told that it was just a change in the protein addative they used and that most people got used to it in a couple weeks. I didn't. I threw most of the month 6 order in the trash.
  • "If you are going to be with others all day there is a umm... side affect."
    You are tellingno lies on that one! LOL!
  • jillMoose
    jillMoose Posts: 45 Member
    THE FOOD IS GROSS -- i tried it while in law school about a year ago, trying to save time. i pre-selected all the food (i didnt let them just send me their variety ) - make sure you select the food item by item if you decide to do it. i was okay with the food for about two or three days... then i just got grossed out becasue none of its fresh --i.e. chicken that is pre-cooked and does not need to be refrigerated! it was a waste of money. my in-laws did it and lost a lot of weight (and gained it back) but they didnt look healthy - becuase all the sodium and additives.

ALSO, read the instructions carefully because you do have to add foods to the nutrisystem diet - lean meats, yogurts, veggies, and fruits. so you are back to square one.

now with my schedule i just cook a ton of stuff on sunday to last me through lunches, breakfasts, and dinners all week!
  • curvykent
    curvykent Posts: 140 Member
    Thank you for all of your input. I'm beginning to think it's not going to work for me. I need to figure something out that doesn't require a lot of cooking. It's going to be important that I not only stay on track with diet and exercise, but I also have obligations three nights a week so I need something quick and easy and HEALTHY.
  • Uronlydreaming
    Uronlydreaming Posts: 28 Member
    Thank you for all of your input. I'm beginning to think it's not going to work for me. I need to figure something out that doesn't require a lot of cooking. It's going to be important that I not only stay on track with diet and exercise, but I also have obligations three nights a week so I need something quick and easy and HEALTHY.
    I don't do a lot of cooking either so a personal trainer gave me some great advice. He told me to cook 1-2 days per for the rest of the week.

For example, I want at least 2 chicken breasts per day. I cook 15 on Sat, put enough in the fridge for Sun-Wed and freeze the rest for Thur-Sat. Now, you don't have to eat only chicken breast all week, but you certainly can use it for anything... quick stew, add to soup, sandwich, or straight up with your favorite spices/sauce. I also just made a huge thing of chili and pasta. Will put some in fridge, freeze the rest.

To put it simply, if Healthy Choice, or Nutrisystem can make frozen meals, why can't you? Cheaper and less additives/preservatives.

So many ways to do this. And you only need to cook 1-2 times per week.

As for NUTRISYSTEM, I think it's a recipe for failure. I had to add quite a bit to reach adequate cals so I didnt go into famine mode and weight plateau. Also, it depends on the kind of person you are. I killed all the NS snacks off in like 2-3 days. I can't have all those RTE desserts sitting around like that. Can you?

My SUGGESTION: Lots of canned tuna, chicken, turkey, salmon, etc. And learn a few quick and easy preparations. Unless you're making a dinner for someone else, you can get your cals very quickly with a stacked sandwich using whole wheat bread, or wraps. Lite Mayo, and a couple of veggies that can be easily sliced. Make sure to have tupperware around.

You can totally do this without the high cost of nutrisystem and save yourself $200/mo, and still enjoy some good meals.

Best wishes,
    Eric