What season grilled chicken with

Options
Making some grilled chicken for dinner tonight. I have no idea what to season it with. Any household seasonings that you recommend?

Replies

• ashthecat15
    ashthecat15 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I like to season my chicken with salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, and paprika. Simple, and yummy. I can't really give you exact measurements. Because, I tend to just sprinkle each one all over the chicken then rub it in. Why dirty a bowl to mix spices in? Lol. I hate dishes.
  • leashb82
    leashb82 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    If I'm wanting something different to the usual plain grilled chicken, I mix up a little bit of greek yoghurt with a bit of tandoori paste (or paste of your choice .. green curry paste works well too), marinate the chicken in it for 30 mins and grill ... de-lish! :)
  • dward59
    dward59 Posts: 731 Member
    Options
    I do standard seasonings, but then add some chili powder. When cooked through, I put diced hatch green chile on each and a slice of a mellow white cheese (we like smoked gouda) to cut some of the heat if using hot green chile.
  • lollyhackett
    lollyhackett Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    There are a variety of options you could go for - Chicken lends itself to a variety of seasonings. Sage, rosemary, thyme and tarragon are frequent choices. Fresh herbs are superior in flavor if you have them, but dried varieties are acceptable; check the expiration date to be sure they are not stale. Plan to use about a third less dried herbs than fresh, but to be safe, read the label for the suggested ratio. Garlic, onions, celery and carrots add a nutritional bonus to chicken recipes, and their flavors help compensate for the lack of salt and fat.

Here's a great recipe I like to try often:

Ingredients:
    1 1/2 teaspoons sea salt
    1 teaspoon dried basil
    1 teaspoon crushed dried rosemary
    1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
    1/2 teaspoon dry mustard powder
    1/2 teaspoon paprika
    1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
    1/2 teaspoon ground dried thyme
    1/4 teaspoon celery seed
    1/4 teaspoon dried parsley
    1/8 teaspoon ground cumin
    1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
    1/8 teaspoon chicken bouillon granules

Directions:
    1. Mix the salt, basil, rosemary, garlic powder, mustard, paprika, black pepper, thyme, celery seed, parsley, cumin, cayenne pepper, and chicken bouillon together until blended.
  • WadeLam
    WadeLam Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I like to sprinkle mine with Cajun seasoning (which has a kick, but not too spicy). Then, top with sauteed onions, mushrooms and peppers, and melt a slice of smoked provolone or other mild cheese over top. The calorie count is usually around 240. Great with fresh corn on the side!
  • dawnmcneil10
    dawnmcneil10 Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    I tend to just grab a bunch of random spices and sprinkle then rub. If you don't have a lot of spices you could start with using Mrs Dash seasonings, salt free and lots of choices. Another of my favorites is just to marinade my chicken in flavored balsamic vinegar.
  • gsnow597
    gsnow597 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Mrs. Dash Lime Garlic Marinade. 0 sodium with a minimal amount of calories. Great flavor!
  • NewCyn
    NewCyn Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I marinate my chicken For 6 tenderloins I use -- 1 tablespoon olive oil, 2 cloves minced garlic, Cajun seasoning of choice and a teaspoon of brown sugar and fresh squeezed lime juice if I have it. Mix well in a Ziploc bag. Add chicken and marinate at least 2 hours. I grill on an indoor grill. Fast and easy. Serve with salad or favorite sides. We also make Grilled chicken sandwiches too!
  • acheben
    acheben Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    I usually marinade my chicken in 1/3 cup vegetable oil, 1/3 cup Worcestershire sauce, 1 Tbsp Italian seasoning, 1 Tbsp garlic powder, 1 tsp salt, and 1 tsp pepper. I've started mixing up the marinade in a freezer bag with the chicken breasts and then putting it in the freezer. That way, when I defrost the chicken for dinner, its all ready to go on the grill.
  • tjk0905
    tjk0905 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    The family really likes when I use the McCormick marinades, especially the Zesty Herb or Tomato Basil & Garlic. Sometimes I just sprinkle Jerk seasoning mix on the breasts as I'm grilling. Another yummy option is to grill then finish with General Tso's sauce.
  • grubb1019
    grubb1019 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    Marinate the chicken in this. I know it sounds weird, I was skeptical too, but it is so good. You also can use poultry seasoning instead of the Old Bay.

1 egg, beaten
    1 1/2 teaspoons salt
    1/2 cup vegetable oil
    1 cup cider vinegar
    4 tablespoons bell seasoning or 4 tablespoons chesapeake Old Bay Seasoning
    3 cloves garlic, halved
    ground pepper
  • Cappa124
    Cappa124 Posts: 131
    Options
    I tend to go simple and just do a Lemon pepper seasoning or an italian seasoning. Tastes awesome without too much effort.
  • hmrambling
    hmrambling Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Slap Ya Mama

Yum :)
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    Curry powder
    Roasted Garlic
    Cilantro and green chili pepper marinade

Sometimes just good old BBQ sauce!
  • NewTeaPot74
    NewTeaPot74 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Italian Salad Dressing. Done.
  • CRody44
    CRody44 Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    Kinder's Brown Sugar Bar-b-que Rub.
  • willywonka_71
    willywonka_71 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Mrs. Dash Fiesta Lime Seasoning
    …..A-MAZE-ING!
  • Joannah700
    Joannah700 Posts: 2,665 Member
    Options
    I like to marinate my chicken in orange juice with apricot jam and spicy brown mustard in a ziploc bag for an hour. If you feel fancy you can add some fresh thyme.

Grill or saute. Easy and delicious.
  • random_user75
    random_user75 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I love five-spice powder on chicken. And pork. And turkey. And in rum (true story). And duck. Et cetera.
  • shellecollins
    shellecollins Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Lemon pepper and Cavenders Greek seasoning