Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Please critique my diet, not losing weight

13»

Replies

• eminentclapper
    eminentclapper Posts: 15 Member
    I suggest that you avoid sugar, especially refined, as much as possible, as it only makes you hungry for more and makes it more difficult for your body to burn fat. Don't replace sugar with sweeteners as that has the same effect, your brain reacts the same way.

Choose only one day a week when you indulge yourself in snacks and sweets, like a frappuccino, or any food you fancy, just so you at least can handle short term goals (like: no frappuccino today, but on Saturday? Mmmmm!!!!) but on a daily basis, stay away from all kinds of refined and pre-prepared food, instead prepare and cook everything yourself from fresh produce. This will ensure that your taste buds are not overloaded and you'll soon find your taste buds normalised and being a lot less hungry.

In regards to exercise, aerobics is not very effective for losing weight. The main factor is to increase the resting metabolic rate, which can only be done in two ways: eat more or build more muscle. Obviously, eating more doesn't fit with your goal, so the solution is to build more muscle and the way to do that is resistance training, which also has a vast number of other benefits you simply won't get with aerobic exercise. You only need to spend an extra 30-45 minutes, 3 times a week, with 5-6 simple basic exercises, to make a big difference. Don't stop your aerobics though, as that is the best to train your heart. However, if you're not doing HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training) aerobics, I suggest you start doing it, as it is by far the most efficient form of aerobic exercise.

Finally, as another commenter mentioned: it's a marathon, not a sprint! Keep your main focus on the effort and process, not so much the end goal. Be the person who never skips a workout! Be the person who always does the best workout you can, on any given day! Be the person who cooks their own healthy food, every day! Be the person who only drinks frappuccinos once a week!

Always look forward and never give up!

All the best!

This is to benefit you not so much the op. The sugar thing... it's true it makes you hungrier, but it doesn't make it more difficult to burn fat.

Cheat meals are good, 1-2x a week, depends how big you are. If you're big do 2, if you're not that big do 1.

The best way to increase metabolic rate is through "INTENSE" exercise. That will keep metabolic rate elevated. Muscle really doesn't play much of a role, you have to eat more to maintain that muscle so it doesn't matter.

According to a number of recent studies I have seen referenced, a high intake of sugar actually does make it more difficult for the body to burn (process) fat usage - It's not actually my own opinion.

Yes, I forgot to mention that the resistance/weight training has to be as intensive as one can handle. The best is to train for maximum muscle strength and not for maximum muscle size (body building style training), focusing on overall fitness. Again, this is not based on my own opinion, but the most recent and credible material I have been able to find in last year or so.
  • Fit_Housewife
    Fit_Housewife Posts: 168 Member
    If given the choice between eating and having coffee the way I like it with milk and sugar I would go with coffee so I get the coffee thing trust me. My trainer had me cut the milk in half and switch from sugar to sweetleaf stevia it's a compromise and it's helped.
  • If given the choice between eating and having coffee the way I like it with milk and sugar I would go with coffee so I get the coffee thing trust me. My trainer had me cut the milk in half and switch from sugar to sweetleaf stevia it's a compromise and it's helped.

I agree - I'd rather eat less of something 'bad' than more of something 'good' if I loved the 'bad' thing that much. If It Fits after all. :)

Of course in order for that to work you've got to have a) calculated your required calories correctly and b) calculated how many calories you're eating accurately.
  • JustFindingMe
    JustFindingMe Posts: 390 Member
    I was sticking to my calories and not losing weight the same as you. .. until I started eating clean. Lots of veggies and protein...and there it was! I've lost 9 lbs in a month!

I was stuck with the same 1-2 pounds every morning for 3 weeks as well. I seriously upped my protein and greens and had an actual drop, not huge, but a drop nonetheless. Just my experience :smile:
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,262 Member
    If given the choice between eating and having coffee the way I like it with milk and sugar I would go with coffee so I get the coffee thing trust me. My trainer had me cut the milk in half and switch from sugar to sweetleaf stevia it's a compromise and it's helped.

I agree - I'd rather eat less of something 'bad' than more of something 'good' if I loved the 'bad' thing that much. If It Fits after all. :)

Of course in order for that to work you've got to have a) calculated your required calories correctly and b) calculated how many calories you're eating accurately.

right now i think that is what is important here is the using the food scale and accurately logging. The OP can worry about the good bad and ugly types of food once she has got the logging down. OP also dont trust the calorie burns on MFP way too high. Good luck.
  • Ms_J1
    Ms_J1 Posts: 253 Member
    This is why I don't eat anything that doesn't have a food label on it and I don't use anyone else's foods from the database in my diary - I create my own, using the information from the food label.

I also pretty much "threw away" all of my measuring cups. I'm 95% food scale only now.

I limit my saturated fat intake, my net carbs (to under 50), sugar to under 20, and sodium to under 1700.

I make 4 or 5 different meals a month - enough to last me a month. I weigh it all out into individual servings and freeze them. That way, I don't have to weigh my food at every meal. I can simply check it in my food diary and click on add.

When I make a new recipe, I make enough to last me a month. Before I make it for the first time, I decide how much is going to be a serving. I usually go by protein. For me, a meal has to have at least 15 grams of protein but no more than 30. So, when I create my recipe on MFP, I input all of the ingredients (again, I create the foods used in the recipe myself, using the food labels to enter all the data. I don't use foods added by MFP or other users), and determine how many servings the recipe makes if each serving were to have 15 grams of protein (I use the food diary to test the recipe). If I determine a serving has 15 grams of protein but also has too many calories, too many grams of saturated fat, too many grams of carbs, or too much sodium, I throw out the recipe or modify it to reduce these excess amounts. But if the recipe meets my standards, I make it, divide it into the correct number of servings, weigh a serving and make sure all of the other servings are of the same weight, put them in freezer baggies, and freeze them.

It sounds like a lot of work but it really isn't. I only have to do it once for each new recipe. After that, I already know everything I need to know about the recipe so I can make it over and over again, knowing the nutritional values will always be the same as long as I measure the ingredients accurately and weigh the servings.

It works for me. I've lost 111 lbs since November, only have 15 more to go and I definitely know I'm counting accurately. I'm 5'0" (yes, that short), keep my calories between 900 and 1,000, and swim between 2,000 and 3,000 yards a day, 5-6 days a week.