Coconut Oil

Options
Hi my name is Anne and id. just like to ask anyones advice on Coconut Oil. I heard it was pretty good stuff so started to use it but i don't feel like it has done anything for me. Should i keep going on it or is it just a waste. If anyone has any views i would be very interested to hear from u and what u think, Thx heaps

Replies

• mfp2014mfp
    mfp2014mfp Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    I dont eat it, but I do use it as a moisturiser my skin loves it :flowerforyou:
  • McMandy17
    McMandy17 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I put a tsp in my tea at night and I feel like it makes my skin glow and actually helps me lose weight
  • my_chrystal82
    my_chrystal82 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I also use it for my skin and as a weekly hair treatment. A gf of mine has used it in cooking-mostly frying and baking and was pretty happy with the results. If you're using it for frying, I'm pretty sure there is a lower heat capacity. If you're not sure what more you can use it with, try Pinterest or Google :)
  • Ideabaker
    Ideabaker Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    I put a tsp in my tea at night and I feel like it makes my skin glow and actually helps me lose weight

Interesting. Does the oil give your tea a coconut flavour? A few of my MFP pals use it in their coffee in the morning.
  • janatarnhem
    janatarnhem Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    Bumping this as I'm tempted as I read that it can help with the sweet cravings, and help to improve your thyroid function.....gonna do some more research, when I have time!
  • orourke5
    orourke5 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    oh well i mit keep going on it but im not sure if if eat to much will it be good for me or bad for me and worse will i put on weight if i eat to much. Thx for the advice guys
  • rebeccawesterfield5
    rebeccawesterfield5 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I use it for everything...face scrub with sugar and lime, by itself for a moisturizer for face and body, conditioner, it is awesome in coffee or baked goods. Make sure you use refined if you don't want the coconut taste in your cooking. It has made my skin tighten up faster while losing weight and my skin and hair are healthy and shiny (well, my hair is anyway)! Keep using it, the results are subtle.
  • orourke5
    orourke5 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    oh wow im trying it in my coffee, i can't wait to get up in the morning and have a coffee lol. When should i start seeing results. Ive just finished a big 1.6L container. It is very delicious though. Thx for ur advice
  • JeralynSh
    JeralynSh Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I also use it for everything: in my hair as a hot oil treatment, on my skin as a moisturizer and natural sunblock, for cooking, it's helped with my pain management both internally and externally... I could go on and on about how great it is.
  • mizztanjo
    mizztanjo Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Coconut Oil is amazing. Just be sure you have the unpasturized Virgin coconut oil, you'll know the difference just by the smell! I use it for frying my eggs, as sunscreen, and moisturizer as well. It's an amazing buy, well worth your money!
  • rebeccawesterfield5
    rebeccawesterfield5 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    oh wow im trying it in my coffee, i can't wait to get up in the morning and have a coffee lol. When should i start seeing results. Ive just finished a big 1.6L container. It is very delicious though. Thx for ur advice

It is delicious, I use a tbsp and then whip it with my immersion blender so it gets incorporated into the coffee. Otherwise the oil just floats on the top. It depends on how much you use it internally and externally to see results, but I could definitely tell the difference in my skin immediately when using it as a moisturizer, I even use it exclusively on my face. Enjoy your coconut coffee!
  • janey72
    janey72 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi - I use coconut oil all the time in cooking. It comes in a small glass jar from groovy food - I get mine in Tesco. It's solid at room temp. You dont need very much of it and I find it doesn't really taint the flavour of food cooked in it, the first few times you use it you might notice . I like coconut though so its no issue. I also put a teaspoon in with my brown rice when boiling it. You can taste it there alright, it livens up an otherwise boring rice!
    I got into coconut oil when i did a gluten free detox, and just sort of stuck with it. I do use other olive oils too, it really depends what I'm making.Give it a try and see,a s others have said it has many many uses - here is a good link
    http://wellnessmama.com/5734/101-uses-for-coconut-oil/
  • blueboxgeek
    blueboxgeek Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    l like it in coffee and like to use it as a lip moisturiser and as a hair treatment.

If using it in food / coffee just remember to weight it and log it and it's pretty calorie heavy, but as a fat I find it filling if I use it in my coffee.
  • RunningCopper
    Options
    I use it instead of shaving cream. It's awesome!
  • BobOki
    BobOki Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I use it in place of a lot of oils as it is much healthier and lower in cals, unfortunately I can only use it for some stuff as IMO it makes everything sweet.
  • dpwellman
    dpwellman Posts: 3,271 Member
    Options
    I use it as what it is. . . a "full" fat (aka saturated) in baking and sauteing (my Thai and Indian experiments-- be forewarned, coconut oil does not have a high temperature resistance).

I also use it as a stand in for Bodyglide -- for long rides and runs
  • Cardio4Cupcakes
    Cardio4Cupcakes Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I'm new to the coconut oil bandwagon but I love frying my eggs in it or when I'm browning chicken cutlets!
  • wagglesworth
    wagglesworth Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I use coconut oil for cooking. I started the Paleo diet plan on July 7th and the recipes I have found use this oil. I'm losing weight like crazy following this diet. I've eliminated all grains, corn, and sugar (I use honey or 100% maple syrup) from my diet and it's helping me not only with the weight, but the intense pain in my hands from rheumatoid arthritis has lessened and my blood sugar is almost normal (I'm a type 2 diabetic and take insulin injections several times a day). So is the coconut oil working? I don't know but, I'm not going to change a thing. Just so you know, I don't weigh myself. I visit the Dr. monthly so I will get the good news on my weight loss on the 18th at which time I will post.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    It hasn't done anything for you? What were you expecting it to do? It's not a magical potion. It tastes delicious...I cook with it often...i generally substitute it when things call for butter...but ultimately, it's just an oil...it's fat...nothing more, nothing less...it's not magical.