WILL SQUATS HELP?!

Options
I am a bit confused...will doing the 30 day squat challenge, a vigorous squat routine, daily improve the appearance of my behind even though fat is covering it? ( I'm classified overweight/obese btw). Is it like abs, where if you have layers of fat covering them, you won't be able to see the tone and work you've put in? Otherwise I'll focus on getting the weight off and then working on the butt. Thank you!

Replies

• Exercisewoman
    Exercisewoman Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Yes, I believe it will because squatting burns calories and builds up the muscles in your legs and bottom, therefore toning and reducing fat. Your legs are one of the biggest muscles in your body and any training on them will strenghen, thus building up muscle. Having more muscle overall allows the body to burn off fat quicker.

So keep it up.
    Good luck.
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    You'll have better results with a barbell on your back for squats than the 200 squats that challenge proposes.
    Look up Stronglifts, New Rules of Lifting for women, Strong Curves and see the results the women on this site have achieved with those programs.
  • leashb82
    leashb82 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Squats are amazing! Just make sure your technique is good. Also agree that adding a barbell with weights is a good idea :)
  • GillianMcK
    GillianMcK Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    It will help in the long run, in that you will be toning the underlying muscle, but will it change the appearance and lose fat off that one part of your body, then no.
    You can't spot lose fat by doing exercise, weight loss is 80% diet and 20% exercise (80/20 rule applies to everything in life apparently)
    Any extra exercise will encourgae weight loss and you will be starting to build muscle in small amounts (you can't really build muscle properly whilst eating at a deficit) so when you're where you want to be the muscles will be able to support you in doing what you want.
  • spade117
    spade117 Posts: 2,466 Member
    Options
    WILL SQUATS HELP?

If done properly, I can't think of any situation where the answer would be no.
  • asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member
    Options
    WILL SQUATS HELP?

/Thread!
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    WILL SQUATS HELP?

Yup. The answer to this is yes regardless of the context of the question.
  • phatguerilla
    phatguerilla Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    WILL SQUATS HELP?

I have an acl injury, will squats help?

One leg is longer than the other, will squats help?

I have degenerative bone disease, will squats help?
  • lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    weighted squats + calorie deficit = "better" butt
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    WILL SQUATS HELP?

I have an acl injury, will squats help?

One leg is longer than the other, will squats help?

I have degenerative bone disease, will squats help?

Sigh...

Apparently humorous generalizations need to be clarified in detail.

No, squats won't cure your type 1 diabetes or clear up the endometriosis issue... but in GENERAL, squats are awesome and unless you have a medical condition that makes them extremely painful or dangerous, anyone who is in GENERAL good health and looking to improve the appearance and strength of their body should do squats.

Happy?
  • jonlfischer
    jonlfischer Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Squats help everything
  • kjm3579
    kjm3579 Posts: 3,975 Member
    Options
    Squats work some of the biggest muscle groups in the body thus causing calories to be burned and muscles to be built. That's a great combination for your body in many areas, not just the butt.
  • HerbertNenenger
    HerbertNenenger Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    It helped me and I am still ten pounds into the obese range. When you get into the higher numbers, it turns cardio too, because I remember my heart POUNDING ! Do it !
  • dpwellman
    dpwellman Posts: 3,271 Member
    Options
    SLDLs too. Dang it.
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    You'll have better results with a barbell on your back for squats than the 200 squats that challenge proposes.
    Look up Stronglifts, New Rules of Lifting for women, Strong Curves and see the results the women on this site have achieved with those programs.

This x100! The only time I do bodyweight squats is when it's part of a cardio workout I'm doing (jump squats can kiss my *kitten*) or during my warm up on lower body days. And that's a warm up to my warm up sets, if that says anything. In short, add weight, and I don't mean 5 lb dumbbells.
  • BlondeButtercup127
    BlondeButtercup127 Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    I wish I had started progress pics of my booty :grumble: ....I've seen a HUGE difference in mine since I started squats!
    Squats=good stuff!

(yes, I have "cushion" on my bum and STILL see a difference! Love it!) :drinker:
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    If you want "dat *kitten*" then do deadlifts
  • DeadliftAddict
    DeadliftAddict Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    WILL SQUATS HELP?

^^^This many times over. Squats can solve a lot of the worlds problems. :laugh: :wink:
  • Laurenloveswaffles
    Laurenloveswaffles Posts: 535 Member
    Options

This x100! The only time I do bodyweight squats is when it's part of a cardio workout I'm doing (jump squats can kiss my *kitten*) or during my warm up on lower body days. And that's a warm up to my warm up sets, if that says anything. In short, add weight, and I don't mean 5 lb dumbbells.

yep lift heavy!
    <---proof

don't do a stupid 30 day challenge.
  • TheKidd2013
    TheKidd2013 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Totally agree with you!