5KM Training

Options
I signed up for the Run or Dye on August 30 and I'm freaked out. I can't run 5km yet without stopping. Is it realistic to think I can do this run in 25 days. How often would I have to run a week to get to that point?

I've been training all summer, but truth be told, I haven't been that strict about it. We are a busy family and it's sometimes hard to get out there. Any advice from runners?

Replies

• thavoice
    thavoice Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    I signed up for the Run or Dye on August 30 and I'm freaked out. I can't run 5km yet without stopping. Is it realistic to think I can do this run in 25 days. How often would I have to run a week to get to that point?

I've been training all summer, but truth be told, I haven't been that strict about it. We are a busy family and it's sometimes hard to get out there. Any advice from runners?
    Look at the c25k plan and pick up in the middle dependent on your current ability or use the backwards planning and do the last 3 weeks of the program. It is doable if you have some endurane built up. If you have not been that strict then maybe run every other day.

Another option is this tha MAY work for you.

The c25k program runs 3 days a week. If you run every other day you can get two weeks of that prorgram completed in 1 week,
  • AprylMunro
    AprylMunro Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Ok, I'll give it a shot. Thanks!
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    Run or Dye, the Color Run, Glow Run, etc are designed to stop and play in the color areas. Run what you can, walk what you have to, enjoy the event ... worry about being able to run the entire distance when you sign up for a race vs an event.
  • succubus77
    Options
    I agree with Brian.

That's the good part about the event 5ks. I've done two in the last few months, a color run and a mud run/obstacle course. I didn't run either one all the way through and I saw many people walking the whole time. Its more about the event than the running.