HELP!! About to cave

Options
So I started a diet yesterday and want to lose a stone by October for my birthday. Just generally want to feel good about myself again. I also started 30 day shred. So I done really well yesterday and this morning. Then my work ordered in a chinese for lunch I didnt order but there was a spare so I ate it. Now I feel like giving up and just going to get chocolate and juice. Is it really bad I ate this for lunch? My thoughts are just to skip dinner and have the salad I prepared for my lunch instead of a meal. Do you think that is ok? This always happens people in my work are such bad influences :(

Replies

• angieroo2
    angieroo2 Posts: 973 Member
    Options
    One unhealthy meal shouldn't be the reason you quit.
  • mameo
    mameo Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Don't DO IT! Ok, so you ate the Chinese food. Do NOT go eat chocolate and juice you will feel worse about what you did. You have the right idea, get back on track. Do eat your salad, eat some fruit, drink lots of water - to offset the sodium of Chinese food. Do not starve yourself, that would be counter productive. Go for a walk on your break or after work. Put on some dancing music and move !!! Find a hula hoop... hop , skip, jump rope, play like kid.. get those feel good feelings like kids do when then blood is flowing! Then you will feel better ... and try again tomorrow!
  • Crazy1nsane
    Crazy1nsane Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    It's okay to have an off day. But there's no need to dig a deeper hole. Don't eat chocolate just because you had an unhealthy meal and feel there's no point. You'll be fine.
  • Supertact
    Supertact Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    1 day looool
  • W31RD0
    W31RD0 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    So I started a diet yesterday and want to lose a stone by October for my birthday. Just generally want to feel good about myself again. I also started 30 day shred. So I done really well yesterday and this morning. Then my work ordered in a chinese for lunch I didnt order but there was a spare so I ate it. Now I feel like giving up and just going to get chocolate and juice. Is it really bad I ate this for lunch? My thoughts are just to skip dinner and have the salad I prepared for my lunch instead of a meal. Do you think that is ok? This always happens people in my work are such bad influences :(

First, dump the time limit goal. It's only gonna encourage you to yo-yo diet and you'll just be back to start eventually. Losing fat is a slow, iterative process. There are no quick shortcuts.

Second, losing weight isn't about this meal or that meal. It's about habits. It's about identifying which ones are bad and correcting them to achieve what you want for yourself. So you had some chinese, big whoop. You don't have to starve yourself the next day. Just eat better in general, lower your calorie intake in the long term, move more throughout the weeks.

If you are not already, start charting your calories.

Go get a gym membership and consult a personal trainer to get you on some general fitness routine.

Remember that you can have a treat here and there and all it's lost.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    If you don't learn how to eat the foods you love, while losing weight, you will never sustain your weight loss. I would suggest figuring out how to log the calories and incorporating foods you enjoy into your diary. Exercise also helps since you can eat more, the more active you are.
  • vismundcygnus27
    vismundcygnus27 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Like others have said, there's no need to freak out over one less-than-ideal meal. Just factor it into what you eat this week. I ate a bucket of thai food earlier this week, so I'm just making sure to be quite mindful of what I eat this week so that it all evens out.

And you shouldn't force yourself to skip meals, it's just going to make you miserable. You can't be this hard on yourself! You're just gonna drive yourself nuts and you may end up just giving up on your goals altogether.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    it's not what you eat it's how much of it you eat.

There is no reason to give up over one day.
  • americangirlok
    americangirlok Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Don't let one day or one "bad" meal throw you off. There's going to be good days and less good days. And for what it's worth, I wouldn't characterize food as "good" or "bad" it either meets your goals or it doesn't. You have to be able to work in what you like once in a while or you'll likely give up entirely (at least that's been my MO). I've started looking at my logs over the week- in a 7 day period am I hitting pretty close to my goal number? And if the answer is yes, I'm good w/ that.

Like this weekend I'm going to a show w/ my sister and we're going to eat at a nice restaurant and then get some chocolate truffles (I can't begin to tell you how psyched I am about that!) So I know it's coming, I'm kinda sand bagging a credit this week so that I can enjoy myself on Saturday and not stress out about the chocolate I'm going to eat or the cheesy appetizers or whatever you know? I'm going to try to make her take the stairs to the mezzanine and not the elevator though!

Anyway my point is that, you want to see a trend over time of meeting your intake and exercise goals or a combo of them- depending on what your aim is. Like do hardcore athletes quit when they have one trial run slower than usual or don't stick the landing in a practice or even have a bad performance? No, b/c over time- they're improving and getting better.

So for me, everyday I'm trying to do "more better" than yesterday- but if there's a few days in there where I don't- well I can be more better tomorrow!
  • lizarddev
    lizarddev Posts: 100 Member
    Options

First, dump the time limit goal. It's only gonna encourage you to yo-yo diet and you'll just be back to start eventually. Losing fat is a slow, iterative process. There are no quick shortcuts.

Second, losing weight isn't about this meal or that meal. It's about habits. It's about identifying which ones are bad and correcting them to achieve what you want for yourself. So you had some chinese, big whoop. You don't have to starve yourself the next day. Just eat better in general, lower your calorie intake in the long term, move more throughout the weeks.

If you are not already, start charting your calories.

Go get a gym membership and consult a personal trainer to get you on some general fitness routine.

Remember that you can have a treat here and there and all it's lost.
    First this is not a diet at all it is about changing the way you eat. Even if you feel bad for breaking what you call a diet. Even the foods that you know or think are bad for you just remember that everything can not be weighed or measured. The way to look at this is if you see food then get a fist size portion. This will help in the amount of food that you intake. If you can see it outside you fist then that is too much. To start get the mindset of you can do it no matter what and portion control based on a fist size is always best. I have a diary that is open to my friends and I eat between 1400 to 1900 with carbs and protein and vitamins. Mine is for transformation and I have been on it for three weeks now. Also try this which some are successful and use the fist method and that is a cheat day. Choose one day out of the week that you will eat what you want under your fist and this should help you curb cravings and move past the guilt that you are having now. Let me know if I can help you out further.
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,262 Member
    Options

nothing wrong with eating chinese for lunch just make it fit in your daily intake. the mistake you will make is saying oh well had the chinese let me just blow off the rest of the day. If you do that you will never reach your goal. I really dont buy into all this good food bad food stuff and this is why i have continued. Eat your dinner and make sure you do not starve yourself. First week all i did was log all my foods to wake myself up, then the second week i started to make adjustments. Too early to give up. You can do it.