Low Testosterone

Options
Hey All,

I had my T levels checked and found out that they are low. My Doctor basically told me that fat people have low testosterone and for me to lose weight and will not put me on hormones. I've done a little research and have found that having normal T levels could assist in weight loss. I'm thinking about going somewhere else to get treatment. Has anyone on here been on testosterone therapy and lost weight ?

Replies

• Tim_CNY
    Tim_CNY Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I would hold off on the Testosterone therapy and work on losing weight first. Mine was at 350 (low normal) and after losing 100 pounds it was up to 600 (haven't checked again for the last 30 lbs). Excess body fat converts testosterone into estrogen. You don't need high T-levels in order to lose weight.
  • bethvandenberg
    bethvandenberg Posts: 1,496 Member
    Options
    My husband was on T replacement and had a massive heart attack :( Check out the whole picture. I am now a widow btw.
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    Once you hop on T replacement you really can't get off of it... hold off.
  • FP4HSharon
    FP4HSharon Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    Part of the danger w/hormone therapy, estrogen or testosterone, is that if you have any undiagnosed cancer in your body, even small tumors, then it accelerates their growth. Kind of like putting fertilizer on a lawn. I'd try to do it the healthy way. If you want to try a natural way to raise it, w/not quite as much risk (still some risk even w/natural stuff), then I'd get sarsaparilla from a vitamin store.
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    I would hold off on the Testosterone therapy and work on losing weight first. Mine was at 350 (low normal) and after losing 100 pounds it was up to 600 (haven't checked again for the last 30 lbs). Excess body fat converts testosterone into estrogen. You don't need high T-levels in order to lose weight.
    All of this^. Lose the bodyfat first then get retested.
  • jpads1234
    jpads1234 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    great advice everyone I will talk to my Dr again tomorrow.