WILL SQUATS HELP?!

Options
2»

Replies

• katrn05
    katrn05 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I'm not really a fan of those challenges. I think squats are most beneficial and give better results when done with weights. I agree with a previous poster who said to look for Stronglifts. It's simple routine and requires only 25 reps and is done with weight. Don't be afraid to weight-lift. It does awesome things to your body and it won't make you bulky. I still hate that that myth is still perpetuated.
  • kawookie
    kawookie Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    Squats have helped me:

1) Find my butt (which was once seeming an extension of my hip)
    2) Use a porta potty with ease (gross seat? No issue with my new squatting ability)
    3) Conquer razorbacks on a trail (much easier to stay low when you regularly squat)

There have been others, but these are my three favorite.
  • fatcity66
    fatcity66 Posts: 1,544 Member
    Options
    I had my ACL replaced about a year ago. I am scared to do squats with heavy weight. :(
  • W31RD0
    W31RD0 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I am a bit confused...will doing the 30 day squat challenge, a vigorous squat routine, daily improve the appearance of my behind even though fat is covering it? ( I'm classified overweight/obese btw).

Why do you need to do squats daily? Just increase weight as you get stronger.
    Is it like abs, where if you have layers of fat covering them, you won't be able to see the tone and work you've put in? Otherwise I'll focus on getting the weight off and then working on the butt. Thank you!

It depends on how much junk you got in your trunk. If you have some fat back there, squats can give some shape to that fat and make it look bigger and firmer. If you have a lot then you may have to lose some of that before you see results. Ether way squats are great to do.
  • accelerashawn
    accelerashawn Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    Don't forget about walking lunges...walking lunges (in addition to squats and DL) gave me a little bump too. I went from buttless to small butt in a couple months.
  • sexytati89
    Options
    It will eotk. Tighen things up and lift the butt. Do it while you atr trying to lose weifht so your whole body tightens up at the same time.
  • Ges220
    Ges220 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I just started doing a tiffany rothe mountain climber routine on you tube - that gives weights with squats, and the almighty mountain climber. works everything. whew!
  • margannmks
    margannmks Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    If your obese start with body weight squats and get your form down and get comfortable going low. When you can do 3 sets of 10 easily change to holding dumbells or kettleballs 10 lb each arm, i liked holding them up on my shoulders, keep that routine untill it dosent challenge you, then do goblet squats, the most i could go was 35 lb THEN when i mastered that i went to barbell which is 45 lb, then went on to add weights. Dont try to start with a heavy weight youll hurt yourself and your form will be terrible. With all the buildup i had done the first time with the bar was really ackward and im not obese and am in pretty good shape. The cardio benefit youd get from doing the mutiple squats as in the challenge could be done with a combination of the body weight squats, walking lunges,step ups etc. And add weight to those as you progress.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    WILL SQUATS HELP?

If done properly, I can't think of any situation where the answer would be no.

Yup. The answer to this is yes regardless of the context of the question.

I have an acl injury, will squats help?

One leg is longer than the other, will squats help?

I have degenerative bone disease, will squats help?

Sigh...

Apparently humorous generalizations need to be clarified in detail.

No, squats won't cure your type 1 diabetes or clear up the endometriosis issue... but in GENERAL, squats are awesome and unless you have a medical condition that makes them extremely painful or dangerous, anyone who is in GENERAL good health and looking to improve the appearance and strength of their body should do squats.

Happy?

squats solved world hunger and brought peace to the middle east.

so there.
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    What happens after 30 days? Muscles don't hang around for very long after you stop doing an exercise.

Squat with weight. Deadlift with weight. Continue to lose weight. Admire dat booty. Repeat.