Coconut Oil

Options

Replies

• Raynne413
    Raynne413 Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    I dont eat it, but I do use it as a moisturiser my skin loves it :flowerforyou:

I use it as a moisturizer, too!! And it works great as makeup remover. Comes right off!
  • Elleseyes
    Options
    I cook with it as much as I can. I don't know if it helps lose weight, but it really gives your food a nice flavor! I do hear it helps with weight loss, and I have noticed I am losing but I'm sure it's due to the exercise! LOL....good luck with that. If anyone needs healthy and YUMMY recipes just let me know!
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Hi my name is Anne and id. just like to ask anyones advice on Coconut Oil. I heard it was pretty good stuff so started to use it but i don't feel like it has done anything for me. Should i keep going on it or is it just a waste. If anyone has any views i would be very interested to hear from u and what u think, Thx heaps
    It's a great moisturizer and hair conditioner.
  • Cheeseatarian
    Cheeseatarian Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I make "fat bombs" they are chocolate treats you put in the freezer. If you google keto fat bombs you will find loads of recipes
  • jasmang
    jasmang Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I just use it as a butter or shortening substitute.
  • katrinadulce
    katrinadulce Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I asked Cardiologists I Worked for about coconut oil and their response was."If you wind up in the ER And we find out you were using coconut oil we will NOT do your angiogram." There was my answer. Not doing it.

The consumption of coconut oil is not on any list of contraindications for angiography. Not anywhere.
    And if a patient who came into the ER during a heart attack, they would be in need of angioPLASTY. There is no doctor anywhere who would just let cardiac tissue (or the entire person) die because the person eats coconut oil.
  • DavidMartinez2
    DavidMartinez2 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    If by "high temperature resistance" you mean it melts at a low temperature, then you're right. The melting point of virgin coconut oil is 76F/24C. If you mean it breaks down in high heat, you're wrong. It has a 350F/177C smoke point, which is comparable to butter and higher than EVOO.

Absolutely. When I want to fry things at a higher temperature than EVOO supports I use a dollop of coconut oil. Some things will take on a slight coconutty flavor but usually I can't really taste it. My wife uses it to for making popcorn and it does impart a nice flavor to the popcorn.
  • fifty6ford
    fifty6ford Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I read an article about using it for oil pulling and since I have had some gum problems, thought maybe I would give it a try. Purchased it, but haven't used it, I'm usually in too much of a hurry in the mornings. I'm going ot have to check into some of the uses others have posted. If you don't know what oil pulling is, just do a search or here's a link http://coconut-oil-pulling.com/
    A friend shared that her son had been doing it with positive results.
  • rebeccaplatt21
    Options
    i like coconut oil in my coffee
    i use it as a face moisturizer (w/ tea tree oil - i have bad acne)
    i use it as a deodorant (with arrow root, and baking soda and lavender oil- there's recipes on the web)
    i use it to fry sometimes, although olive oil is a habit
  • kmgrandstaff
    Options
    I cook with it... put it in baked goods when I occasionally make those... add a teaspoon to some popcorn kernels and it makes the fluffiest popcorn - only needs a very light sprinkle of salt. I use it to moisturize, as "chapstick", you name it. I also use it in oil pulling...swishing 2 teaspoons worth in my mouth for 20 min each day. It has made my teeth dramatically whiter, and my enamel stronger, according to my dentist :) ( I also had the beginnings of a cavity that has "healed" itself...go figure)
  • donnat238
    donnat238 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I have a tbsp in my coffee each morning and use it as a skin moisturizer.
  • hig17
    hig17 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I make "fat bombs" they are chocolate treats you put in the freezer. If you google keto fat bombs you will find loads of recipes

OMG Fat Bombs look amazing, googled it and saw recipe for Chocolate Peanut Butter "Fat Bombs." YUMMMM

OP, I bought some Extra Virgin Coconut Oil just recently and have used it in place of butter or olive oil in cooking. Salmon was very good baked in the oven using the coconut oil (melted) mixed with herbs/spices as a marinade.

I have also read about 'Oil Pulling' being very beneficial as well, but have not tried it.
  • juliedozier
    juliedozier Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I started taking as a supplement about a month ago ... I notice a difference in my skin and nails.
  • lunalee84
    lunalee84 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    I use coconut oil for cooking and for beauty treatment. I agree that it is an amazing make-up remover,
  • grneyez81
    grneyez81 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    So while perusing the internet this is what I found....http://authoritynutrition.com/coconut-oil-and-weight-loss/
    "A calorie is not a calorie.

Different foods and macronutrients go through different metabolic pathways.

The different types of foods we eat can have a huge effect on our hormones and metabolic health.

Some metabolic pathways are more efficient than others and some foods require more energy to digest and metabolize.

One important property of coconut oil is that it is “thermogenic” – eating it tends to increase energy expenditure (fat burning) compared to the same amount of calories from other fats (4).

In one study, 15-30 grams (1 to 2 tablespoons) of medium chain fats per day increased energy expenditure by 5%, totaling about 120 calories per day (5).

Several other studies confirm these findings. When humans replace the fats they are eating with MCT fats, they burn more calories (6).

Therefore, a calorie from coconut oil is NOT the same as a calorie from olive oil or butter (although these fats are perfectly healthy too).

Bottom Line: Many studies show that medium chain triglycerides can boost metabolism, in one study increasing energy expenditure by 120 calories per day."

There is some really good reading out there on this subject...
  • tr3kkie9rl
    tr3kkie9rl Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I use it instead of shaving cream. It's awesome!

I can't figure this out - how do you keep it from gunking up the razor?? Every time I try to use it for shaving, I feel like the razor is totally clogged after 2 swipes and it's a pain to get the oil out of it.
  • tr3kkie9rl
    tr3kkie9rl Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    i like coconut oil in my coffee
    i use it as a face moisturizer (w/ tea tree oil - i have bad acne)
    i use it as a deodorant (with arrow root, and baking soda and lavender oil- there's recipes on the web)
    i use it to fry sometimes, although olive oil is a habit

If you are acne prone, you may want to reconsider using coconut oil. Take a look at the link below. It is actually pretty high on comedogenic list. I used it for a bit, but it only made mine worse so I switched to olive and sunflower oil for the most part. I struggled with cystic acne for over 10 years, then I discovered that I am intolerant of something in dairy. Not sure yet if it is lactose or some other factor, but within 2 weeks of quitting all dairy, my skin started to improve. Not saying that is your exact problem, but could be something to look into at the very least.

I do also love is as deodorant, with almost your exact recipe (plus a little cornstarch, I find that all baking soda makes it feel a bit too gritty for me, and irritates my skin), and I soak my entire head of hair in it once or twice a week, leave it overnight, then wash it out the next morning. I have mid-back length hair and no split ends :)

https://www.beneficialbotanicals.com/facts-figures/comedogenic-rating.html
  • nonacgp
    nonacgp Posts: 132
    Options
    I asked Cardiologists I Worked for about coconut oil and their response was."If you wind up in the ER And we find out you were using coconut oil we will NOT do your angiogram." There was my answer. Not doing it.

Did they say why they wouldn't do it??? Just curious. I don't use it.
  • TheSatinPumpkin
    TheSatinPumpkin Posts: 948 Member
    Options
    I fry my protein in it. Use to use it for my coffee but could not get past the oily texture so i stopped adding it. That was before i got a blender though.
  • julesg100
    julesg100 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I just made a protein shake using vanilla protein powder, banana, almond milk and coconut oil. It adds a nice flavor and I would think it would taste good with chocolate. I will have to try cooking with it.