Big breakfast myth?

Options
MONDAY, Jan. 17 (HealthDay News) -- Conventional wisdom says that eating a big breakfast might keep you full throughout the day and help prevent overeating at other meals, but a new German study debunks the idea.

Dr. Volker Schusdziarra, a researcher with the Else-Kroner-Fresenius Center of Nutritional Medicine in Munich, surveyed 380 people about their daily diets. Participants included 280 people who were obese and 100 who were of normal weight. Everyone kept track of what they ate over a period of 10 to 14 days.

The investigators found that breakfast habits varied. People sometimes skipping breakfast altogether and other times consuming either a big or small meal, according to the study, published online Jan. 17 in the Nutrition Journal.

However, those who ate a "big" breakfast -- defined as being an average of 400 calories greater than a small breakfast -- ended up with a net gain of 400 calories over the day.

"The results of the study showed that people ate the same at lunch and dinner, regardless of what they had for breakfast," Schusdziarra said in a news release from BioMed Central, the journal's publisher.

Some people skipped a mid-morning snack when they ate a big breakfast, but that didn't offset the extra calories they took in earlier, the study noted.

Replies

• LilSweetie785
    Options
    That is one of the first things I noticed the first week and a half on here. If I had a smaller breakfast in the morning it was ALOT easier to stick to my calorie goal for the day vs. eating a very high calorie breakfast. I definitely recommend eating a low cal breakfast! It's been a breeze since I started having a light breakfast every morning.
  • danaaaaa
    Options
    That is one of the first things I noticed the first week and a half on here. If I had a smaller breakfast in the morning it was ALOT easier to stick to my calorie goal for the day vs. eating a very high calorie breakfast. I definitely recommend eating a low cal breakfast! It's been a breeze since I started having a light breakfast every morning.

i agree
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    I have a problem with the conclusion that this study proves that it's a myth that eating a big breakfast can be helpful in weight loss. This doesn't prove that big breakfasts *can't* help - it just means that you need to be conscious of what you're eating ALL DAY - not just breakfast.

I find that eating a full, protein and fat - filled breakfast with fewer carbs really does keep me fuller through the morning - I don't feel as snacky. (I generally aim for 300-400 calories, which doesn't meet the study's definition of a big breakfast, but that is more than many people eat!) That said, I log ALL my meals and I do compensate for my breakfasts by eating reasonable lunch/dinners. On days I eat an extra large breakfast, I eat a smaller lunch or dinner... but I do try to keep all my meals 300-500 calories, with a snack or two in there.
  • denitraross
    denitraross Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    i too don't eat a high calorie breakfast..but I do eat something because if I don't, i am more apt to snack at work between lunch and breakfast..
  • ctheslayer
    Options

I have to second this post. I have an easier time allocating the rest of the calories if I have breakfast of 300 calories or less. The most common combination for me is a tall NF latte (100 cal), banana (100-120 cals depending on size) or a NF plain yogurt or NF plain cottage cheese. On rare events that I have a bagel or croissant in the morning, I STILL ate the same amount of calories for lunch and dinner. This now poses a problem since I just ate an extra 200 calories that I could have alloted for a snack in between lunch/dinner or after the workout.

My recommendation as well: Eat breakfast. But opt for a high calcium, high protein, low calorie breakfast.
  • Fat_Chopper
    Fat_Chopper Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I have a problem with the conclusion that this study proves that it's a myth that eating a big breakfast can be helpful in weight loss. This doesn't prove that big breakfasts *can't* help - it just means that you need to be conscious of what you're eating ALL DAY - not just breakfast.

I find that eating a full, protein and fat - filled breakfast with fewer carbs really does keep me fuller through the morning - I don't feel as snacky. (I generally aim for 300-400 calories, which doesn't meet the study's definition of a big breakfast, but that is more than many people eat!) That said, I log ALL my meals and I do compensate for my breakfasts by eating reasonable lunch/dinners. On days I eat an extra large breakfast, I eat a smaller lunch or dinner... but I do try to keep all my meals 300-500 calories, with a snack or two in there.
    I could not have said it better, you need the fuel to get moving, especially if you are doing exercise, breakfast is breaking the fast. It presses the gas pedal for the day.
  • HealthyishWithMaggieG
    Options
    For me, I'm not a morning person to begin with. Secondly, my body needs a couple hours to wake up. If I try to eat ANYTHING (big or small) before it's ready, I feel sick. So, more often than not, I'll skip breakfast or just have some low-sodium V8 juice. Oh, and on days that I do eat breakfast (any size), I typically want to eat more and sooner, later in the day. I don't understand it, but it's always been this way. And, until the last several years, I've always been very slim. Now that I'm tracking calories/watching my weight, it's coming off pretty easily by following my usual eating schedule. For me... I'm going with the "if it ain't broke" method and skipping breakfast.
  • elzettel
    elzettel Posts: 256
    Options
    However, those who ate a "big" breakfast -- defined as being an average of 400 calories greater than a small breakfast -- ended up with a net gain of 400 calories over the day.

400 calories OVER a small breakfast...so say a small breakfast is roughly 200 calories you would then be eating 600 calories in one meal. I don't know...maybe I'm missing the point but I kind of say duh! One could easily eat 600 cals or more when grabbing breakfast at a restaurant (fast food or otherwise). When I think of what I used to eat (mocha, fruit explosion muffin and a yogurt parfait) I would top about 800 cals...no part of that EVER made me think hmmm...I won't be hungry for lunch or maybe I'll have just a little something as I'm not very hungry. More times than not I was hungry just a few hours later. While how much you eat is very important it is also about WHAT you eat. I can have an egg mcmuffin (if I'm running behind) for about 230 cals and am not very satisfied. If I eat my usual (roughly the same cals)...oatmeal, a bit of walnuts and half a banana...I'm a happy girl all morning long. I too shoot for around 300 cals in the am.
  • scagneti
    scagneti Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    I don't like the way the study was conducted. The test subjects could be people who aren't the slightest bit interested in weight loss/maintenance so 400 calories for them means nothing towards their daily allotment (and the purpose of the big breakfast wasn't to encourage less eating later -- they just eat a lot no matter what time of the day it is!).
  • MisdemeanorM
    MisdemeanorM Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    I wonder if or how the study would vary if they took those who generally ate a big breakfast and switched them to a small breakfast or vice versa. If changing your breakfast habits affects your overall overage (or underage) vs just tracking what they are eating now. Also, I wonder what the average breakfast size was - it says large was considered 400 over average, but is average 200 calories or 500 calories? Some might call 500 a rather large breakfast. Then of course, add 400 to that - and 900 is a really large breakfast. Interesting study, but needs more facts - at least in their overview.

Edit - It also does account for where those calories are coming from. One McGriddle is more calories than oatmeal with nuts and with milk and fruit, which I would consider the "bigger" breakfast, though not by this study's strictly calorie-count standards.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options

Good point.

I try to plan all my meals either the night before or early in the morning. If I'm going to exercise I know to make my meals a little bigger and to add a protein shake plus a snack or two. If I'm not going to exercise I also plan accordingly. This, more than anything, has helped me to stay within my calories
  • runningneo122
    runningneo122 Posts: 6,962 Member
    Options

I agree that the study was vague in its results. Another thing not considered w/ W/L is the fact that the study group was only eating 3 meals/day. W/L plans strongly suggest eating 5 or 6 meals/day. I eat 5 meals and my b/fast is 600 + cals incl. a protein shake. All day I don't feel hungry and I eat 400-500 cals/meal b/c I eat as close to all my exercise cals as possible.
  • darrenw74
    darrenw74 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    For me, I'm not a morning person to begin with. Secondly, my body needs a couple hours to wake up. If I try to eat ANYTHING (big or small) before it's ready, I feel sick. So, more often than not, I'll skip breakfast or just have some low-sodium V8 juice. Oh, and on days that I do eat breakfast (any size), I typically want to eat more and sooner, later in the day. I don't understand it, but it's always been this way. And, until the last several years, I've always been very slim. Now that I'm tracking calories/watching my weight, it's coming off pretty easily by following my usual eating schedule. For me... I'm going with the "if it ain't broke" method and skipping breakfast.

I find that fascinating. Most mornings I wake up and feel like I'm absolutely starving.
  • ohiolady
    Options
    I am pretty consistent about getting some kind of breakfast in the am - protein, calcium,etc. As per others, think it is a good idea for fuel before starting the day
  • CobraBubbles
    Options
    I am a big fan of Intermittent Fasting; 99.9% of the time, I do not eat breakfast. I workout fasted also. I feel great doing so; I'm just never hungry in the morning.
  • HealthyishWithMaggieG
    Options

I find that fascinating. Most mornings I wake up and feel like I'm absolutely starving.

To make it a little stranger... If I eat late (right before bed), I wake up hungry. (I still feel sick if I try to eat on these mornings.) But if I eat the last thing of the night a few hours before I go to sleep, I'm not hungry when I wake up.

It's okay to say it... My body's weird. I know it. :smile:
  • run_way
    run_way Posts: 220
    Options
    I think it really varies from person to person. I'd definitely be on of those people in the study - I have tried to eat big breakfasts before, but if I don't make lunch and dinner my larger meals I end up starving at the end of the day and don't make good decisions. I like to space it out, I'll just eat some toast or yogurt first thing in the morning, then a little bit after my workout I'll have a pear or an apple with some peanut butter. Basically I try to make sure I get some sort of fruit (the kind of carbs that last!) and a little protein and I'm good til lunch.
  • dave4d
    dave4d Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    I think it really varies from person to person. I'd definitely be on of those people in the study - I have tried to eat big breakfasts before, but if I don't make lunch and dinner my larger meals I end up starving at the end of the day and don't make good decisions. I like to space it out, I'll just eat some toast or yogurt first thing in the morning, then a little bit after my workout I'll have a pear or an apple with some peanut butter. Basically I try to make sure I get some sort of fruit (the kind of carbs that last!) and a little protein and I'm good til lunch.

I agree, it does vary from person to person. I know for me if I eat too much, I get sluggish, and don't feel like working out. In diet and exercise, there is no "one size fits all". Everybody is different, and has different needs.