Dinner in a swampy kitchen?

Options
The apartment that we rent is toasty warm in the winter, which is nice. We can open a window if it gets too warm, and life is good.

We're learning that even with the AC on, whenever we cook anything in the kitchen, it goes from comfortable to swampy in here. Like 84 degrees with humidity and then it takes a really long time to cool back down.

That being said, apart from "reservations" what suggestions do you have for we could make for dinner? Something that doesn't require a lot of cooking or eating nothing but salad...

Thanks!

Replies

• glc1990
    glc1990 Posts: 22
    Options
    That doesn't sound good, I'd probably consult your landlord/housing association if you belong to one, or invest in a high quality extractor or some stronger AC?!

Not really got any suggestions for food though...
  • wannakimmy
    wannakimmy Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    There are tons of crock pot recipes out there. Easy to cook and does not heat up the house. Also, do you have a grill? Can always grill up a bunch of stuff and then just nuke the leftovers...
  • Pirate_chick
    Pirate_chick Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    I pre-prep my meal components once a week, cook all the chicken beef, pasta, rice, etc. it makes life so much easier during the week. all you have to do is warm it up in the microwave or a quick stir fry.
  • TanzaMarie
    TanzaMarie Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Check out a raw cookbook/recipe. You can always at a bit of marinated grilled chicken or hard-boiled eggs if you need it.
  • AmyG1982
    AmyG1982 Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    There are tons of crock pot recipes out there. Easy to cook and does not heat up the house. Also, do you have a grill? Can always grill up a bunch of stuff and then just nuke the leftovers...

Thats what I was going to say!

I use the crockpot on really hot days. My fav is a whole chicken, roast it up and then just have it on or with a salad so I don't need to use the oven or stove at all. (plus it makes a really nice homemade chicken broth that I freeze for cooking with later)
  • thistimewillbedifferent
    Options
    gazpacho!
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,626 Member
    Options
    Pasta with a no cook sauce with some grated cheese and a salad. Pesto, roast pepper sauce (roast peppers come from a jar) and hazelnut sauce come to mind

http://www.food.com/recipe/pesto-marcella-hazan-448339
    http://www.finecooking.com/recipes/roasted-red-pepper-paprika-sauce.aspx
    http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/4663/pasta-with-parsley-and-hazelnut-pesto
  • JHarr454
    JHarr454 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Steak tartare
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    pick up a store bought roasted chicken and you can make chicken tacos or wraps or spicy Thia-style no cook stir fry
  • aNewYear123
    aNewYear123 Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Another vote for crockpot and grill. Also a good fan may help (especially if you can get a window fan and put it on exhaust).
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    Is it only the stovetop that's heating your house, or the oven?
    I like getting my food processor out and making raw nut/veggie spreads. These make fun hors d'oeuvres.....which is another good idea...make hors d'eoevres!