Help! Need recommendations for beating the salt craving!

Options
I'm a former chronic chip eater. I like to consider myself a chip expert. However, I have been walking the straight and narrow and staying away from them. The afternoons/evening are killing me now with the cravings for salty food. I will munch on white cheddar rice cakes as an alternative. I don't want too much salt. Any suggestions?

Replies

• rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Roasted asparagus!

Coat the stalks in a little olive oil, add salt and pepper and broil for about 5-10 minutes (depending on size) until they're crispy, but not burnt.
  • opus649
    opus649 Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    I don't want too much salt.

Just curious, but what is "too much?" And how did you arrive at that figure?

I believe the negative impacts of sodium are grossly overstated by some health "experts."
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    MSG
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options
    Sooooo, you're saying my salt lick isn't healthy?
  • ChristineCain
    ChristineCain Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to cut back from my salt lick :) I'm not a person that generally coats everything in excess salt. For example, even when cooking, I rarely add it to a meal. But chips are my vice. I don't know if my craving for salt could be a sign of something I'm lacking? Or just me detoxing from chips.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,692 Member
    Options
    Salt doesn't need to be that much of concern unless one has high BP, hypertension or some adverse reaction to it. The biggest issue with people and salt on a weight loss program is excess salt causes water retention in the body. But water retention weight doesn't equal fat weight.
    Personally myself, I'm sure I exceed the the 2500 mg per day guide. I'm betting I'm in the 4000 range on a daily basis. Cause soy sauce you know.

A.C.E. Certified Group Fitness and Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to cut back from my salt lick :) I'm not a person that generally coats everything in excess salt. For example, even when cooking, I rarely add it to a meal. But chips are my vice. I don't know if my craving for salt could be a sign of something I'm lacking? Or just me detoxing from chips.
    I drink a fruit smoothie every night. Most of the time when I don't have it, I crave it. This is because it's part of a routine and something I'm used to and so my brain misses it. I assume that's what's happening. You're used to those nightly chips.

Do the asparagus (or another vegetable). It's OK to have sodium/salt. But this way you'll have less of it and a healthy snack, to boot.
  • ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    Options
    Sooooo, you're saying my salt lick isn't healthy?

Why does "salt lick" make me feel all funny inside?
  • dnmoehring
    dnmoehring Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Oh my, I ADORE chips. I crave salt over anything sweet, all times of the week.
    What I've used to kind of kick that habit is eating lightly salted pistachios. I've grown now to craving those instead.
    Good luck!
  • AdrianBry
    AdrianBry Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    milk, fish and sea salt (chloride)
  • xenu01
    xenu01 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    It may or may not be what you want, but I have always been a salty snacks person, and these are things I eat when I want chips or whatever:
    1) 1 string cheese
    2) kimchi
    3) a measured out portion of flavored popcorn
    4) pickles
  • ChefSteveUrso
    ChefSteveUrso Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Your body could be craving minerals, which real mined salt contains, for instance Himalayan sea salt contains all 82 minerals found on Earth. Modern table salt is chemically made sodium chloride with iodide added. If you hold excess water weight from your salt tooth try balancing your sodium intake by taking the other "mineral salts" calcium, magnesium, potassium in supplement form(capsules) This will regulate your water and you will pee out the excess. It will also improve overall health and body function. Hope this helps.
  • ChristineCain
    ChristineCain Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Great suggestions!! I grabbed a box of Kettlecooked poopcorn last night at the store. Been years since I've had it and I nice alternative to my beloved chippies :tongue: :tongue: :tongue:
  • ChefSteveUrso
    ChefSteveUrso Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    MSG
    I hope you're joking. Right?
  • SeptemberLondon
    SeptemberLondon Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Salt doesn't need to be that much of concern unless one has high BP, hypertension or some adverse reaction to it. The biggest issue with people and salt on a weight loss program is excess salt causes water retention in the body. But water retention weight doesn't equal fat weight.
    Personally myself, I'm sure I exceed the the 2500 mg per day guide. I'm betting I'm in the 4000 range on a daily basis. Cause soy sauce you know.

A.C.E. Certified Group Fitness and Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

I'm so glad you said this! I couldn't agree more - especially for beginners just getting back to healthy eating habits. Too much can just be overwhelming.

Sometimes we need to narrow our focus & just consider the bigger priorities: exercise, calories, protein, sugar (unless, as you've said there's some high BP issue). The finer points will come in time.
  • SeptemberLondon
    SeptemberLondon Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Your body could be craving minerals, which real mined salt contains, for instance Himalayan sea salt contains all 82 minerals found on Earth. Modern table salt is chemically made sodium chloride with iodide added. If you hold excess water weight from your salt tooth try balancing your sodium intake by taking the other "mineral salts" calcium, magnesium, potassium in supplement form(capsules) This will regulate your water and you will pee out the excess. It will also improve overall health and body function. Hope this helps.
    Great suggestion and thanks for the reminder! I need to order some more Himalayan sea salt!
  • TheRealNoodlette
    TheRealNoodlette Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    my salt craving is satisfied with these foods:

pickles
    fermented food (kimchi, sauerkraut)
    broth (veggie, beef, chicken, whatever)
    jerky

I'm not really HUNGRY, but I want the salt and find these lower calorie foods do the trick and then I don't have to eat chips or crackers to satisfy.
  • dawnmcneil10
    dawnmcneil10 Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    Apples with peanut butter are a good snack option too especially if you use the whipped PB, it's much easier to dip and you don't need as much.
    I also snack on almonds or cashews when I want salt BUT be careful because while the nuts are a great source of healthy fats they can catch up to you real quick on the calorie count.
  • lmann72
    lmann72 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Air popped popcorn - no butter - just add a little salt - it goes a long way!