Scary Sodium

Options
ARNJMN
ARNJMN Posts: 43 Member
Hey guys,

I need to eat some more cals, but my sodium is already on the high end. Other than (home/personal) baked chicken, etc. what other low sodium snacks do you suggest? (PS: I have already eaten nuts and nut butter today).

Thanks! :)

Replies

• Laurenloveswaffles
    Laurenloveswaffles Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    Fresh fruits and veggies, yogurts, pringles
  • ARNJMN
    Options
    Gosh dang it...haha, you know how in the moment you can't think of some obvious ideas? Thanks!
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    Fresh fruits and veggies, yogurts, pringles

^these

Trader Joe's has a 3 versions of a lot of their plain nuts: roasted & salted, roasted & 50% less salt, and roasted & unsalted.
    I get the 50% less salted peanuts, I prefer those now. The regular ones in the grocery stores are too salty now.

TJ's also has really good plain greek yogurt - you can add their unsalted PB to it with some sweetener of your choice. So good. And you can dip apples into it. Or spread it on banana bread/muffins or bananas. Or eat it with a spoon. Works greek in Fage as well.

Oatmeal (per our discussion yesterday lol)

Dried fruit as well - higher in sugar tho.
  • ARNJMN
    Options
    Thanks! I eat Fage Total 0 with fruit every day, and I guess it won't hurt to eat it twice a day! ;) Thanks again for the ideas/reminders!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,704 Member
    Options
    Unless you're suffering from high BP or hypertension, sodium usually isn't something one really has to worry about as long as they are drinking enough water. And if t's about calories, then peanut butter.

A.C.E. Certified Group Fitness and Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Joannah700
    Joannah700 Posts: 2,665 Member
    Options
    My ex had to eat low sodium - less than 1500 mg a day and there are lots of ways you can be creative.

Are you just looking for a snack right now or for a diet change?

If you're craving a snack - some stores will have no sodium corn chips (easier to find in the Mexican grocery stores) and fresh pico de gallo.

Caprese. fresh mozarella, tomatoes and fresh basil with balsamic vinegar - it has very low sodium (just in the mozarella).

If you're looking to avoid sodium, using lime or citrus to flavor your food, lots of fresh veggies and anything vinegar to flavor your food will give you that same 'kick' you normally get from salt.
  • ARNJMN
    Options
    Thanks so much guys, some good basic and new ideas! And, thanks for the reminder that sodium is not an end all, but still something to be educated about and aware of :)