Not Losing... I don't understand

Options
2»

Replies

• sadiebea25
    Options
    I found an inexpensive food scale on ebay for $10 that works great. Weighs in ounces and grams. It's really eye opening!
  • AglaeaC
    AglaeaC Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    Make sure the scale comes with a tare function. You'll soon discover why that is useful.
  • j4nash
    j4nash Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    Are you eating back your exercise calories?

If so, calories burned can be highly inaccurate. Try a calculator like below and keep your calories constant on a daily basis and log exercise cals burned as 1.

http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/
  • DaddyGoofball
    DaddyGoofball Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    On cheat days I end up eating back all of the calories. On normal days I try to net 500 Cal remaining
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    1 or 2 lbs a week means you ARE losing… That's normal weight loss.

no, what the OP indicated is that weight goes up or down about a pound... meaning losing and gaining the same pound or two over and over again.

The initial loss of six pounds was almost certainly not all fat. Weight fluctuates daily due to water retention. So by now, he's probably actually lost six pounds as things even out. With the loss he's sustained and seeing as it's only about three weeks in, it's far too early to start panicking and messing with things. For the first several weeks since I started, my weight did what the OP's has. I'd lose a big chunk, vacillate a pound or two for a couple of weeks, then lose another big chunk.
  • Squirrel698
    Squirrel698 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Wow your definition of "insanity" exercise, surely isn't mine. It sounds like it's a type of exercise program perhaps from the responses?

I run 10K at least 5 days a week and walk 20 miles on the other two days. I do strength training with a sledgehammer and a tire, plus pulls up and sit ups 3 or 4 days a week. Now that's insanity and I love it.

I looked at your diary from yesterday, and you ate way over 2,000 calories. Were those buffalo flavored pretzel rolls really essential to you? How can you question why you are not losing weight. Eat about 1,500 good calories a day and amp up your exercise and you will lose weight.
  • AglaeaC
    AglaeaC Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    On cheat days I end up eating back all of the calories. On normal days I try to net 500 Cal remaining
    How many "cheat days" do you have??? I have none and I manage to eat nutritious and exciting food.
  • DaddyGoofball
    Options
    http://www.beachbody.com/product/fitness_programs/insanity.do

The Pretzels were a weak point. :sad:

If you look at previous days you will see my normal pattern
  • slomo22
    slomo22 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you're loosing weight. You didn't loose 6 pounds of fat in your first week and that's what is throwing your results. If you're still sitting at 6+ pounds lost after a month then you're doing great!
  • j4nash
    j4nash Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819055-setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets

the above is worth a read. try constant cals for two weeks. less complicated than eating back exercise cals and you can adjust the amount per day depending on results.
  • jessacurtis
    jessacurtis Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel. I've dropped to a 1200 calorie diet with 30-45 minutes of high intensity workouts a day, and I've GAINED weight. No soda, basically no carbs (a little here and there), drinking nothing but water and maybe one tiny cup of coffee once or twice a week. And no positive change.
  • Timmmy40
    Timmmy40 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    It depends on your weight. When I weighed between 350 lbs and 250 lbs I could eat 2200 calories a day and lose weight. Now, at 210 lbs, I have to eat around 1800 to lose weight. Any more than that and I maintain or gain weight. Cut out all of the garbage foods. Yes, one can lose weight eating garbage calories and be under your calorie goal, but you will fuel your body more efficiently by eating whole foods. I also stayed away from bread, and pasta during my main weight loss. No because of a diet plan I was on, but they are high in calories. A food scale is essential. Weigh everything. I used to throw my veggies in a pot and cook them, and I counted them as generic, one green bell pepper, one tomato, and the like. I was grossly under estimating calories. Now, I weigh all veggies. Makes a big difference. Also, you need to wait longer than 3 weeks to see more results. You may need to adjust your calorie intake to lose fat. My body would lose fat more than lose scale weight. I never saw both loses at the same time. You did not put all the weight on in 3 weeks, so you shouldn't expect to lose it all in 3 weeks.
  • MagicalGiraffe
    MagicalGiraffe Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    You're eating more than you think, weighing using a scale is much more accurate than eye-balling your food.
  • mrsvander2010
    mrsvander2010 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Try taking pictures and measurements. Often times, we are so used to seeing ourselves for what we think we look like...it takes some time to see our progress. Take pictures once a month and then put them next to each other.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    I log all my food/exercise data into this app. I am open to suggestions. Please help

The numbers you are logging for exercise burn are WAY over estimated. Cut those by at least half.
  • aethre
    aethre Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    If you're not measuring, then buy a tape measure and start recording your measurements. In the past 4 weeks I've lost nine inches and one whole pound, so it can be a big difference. Take note of your waist-hip ratio too. If I was just weighing I'd have been totally discouraged by now.
  • mmorse6241983
    mmorse6241983 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    You might be gaining muscle mass. I have lost 27 lbs, but have gained 7.5 lbs in muscle mass also. I use a scale that tell me how much fat and muscle is in each segment of my body. Measuring your inches is a great way to determine your changes since muscle is leaner.
  • DaddyGoofball
    Options
    To calculate Calorie burn with Exersice I know there is no exact measurement but I have been using the following to ballpark it.....

To track Insanity workouts I use...
    http://www.fitclick.com/calories_burned#.U-NlzvldVUU
    Then I use Cardiovascular X minutes to get clise to what the site above uses

For walking I have been using MapMyFitness on Android and the last few days it has been looking calorie burn for walks.

I ordered a HRM that I should be getting today. My hope that I can use it instead of the fitclick site for Insanity or Bicycle Rides.
  • DaddyGoofball
    Options
    UPDATE: based upon the responses I received I changed my activity level from Sedentary to Light Active. I also increased my calorie intake from around 1,700 to 1,900-2000 and started eating more vegetables and protein and less fruits.

Since I made the above changes my weight has started dropping again. I learned to be more realistic about my activity level and that its not simply getting rid of bad calories, portion control, and switching to good calories. Its more of getting the right good calories.

The weight I started a Month ago was 247-248.
    Today I am down to 234

I thank everyone who responded and their continued support.