Lean Cuisines' anyone?

Options
So I started two weeks ago, replacing my lunch meal with a lean cuisine meal. I have lost a few lbs already for doing this. I used to eat a sandwich of some kind, or buy a wendy's salad.

I find this a great alternative because I'm always getting a hot lunch, and something different everyday, and they taste good! lol

The Canaloni is my favorite! And the chicken & vegetables.

i can get one at walmart for 2$ each ... so they are really affordable lunches too! teaches me a bit about portion control

Replies

• Fgillies
    Fgillies Posts: 194
    Options
    I totally agree with you, i was just raving to the ladies at work today! The cafe steamers...maybe that is healthy choice, but both HC and Lean Cuisine have awesome options for lunch!! They are actually VERY tasty, and fill you up! Today i had sesame chicken with peas & veggies!!

:)
  • RedHotRunner
    RedHotRunner Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    I eat them, but sparingly, because I try to avoid processed foods. They also have a lot of sodium, but not nearly as much as fast foods.

Some of them aren't half bad tasting though.
  • Serenifly
    Serenifly Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    I totally agree with you, i was just raving to the ladies at work today! The cafe steamers...maybe that is healthy choice, but both HC and Lean Cuisine have awesome options for lunch!! They are actually VERY tasty, and fill you up! Today i had sesame chicken with peas & veggies!!

:)

I had the sezcuan chicken chow mein today ... super yummy ...
  • Kristierlong
    Kristierlong Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Kashi makes pretty good entrees for frozen dinners. The chicken florentine is really good with only 290 calories. They are a little bit more expensive than HC and Lean Cuisine.
  • smuehlbauer
    smuehlbauer Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    In a pinch
    Other wise I try to eat fresh food.
    Too much sodium in these types of meals for me.
  • Learning2LoveMe
    Learning2LoveMe Posts: 1,430 Member
    Options
    I do agree, some of them have a lot of sodium.. but there are quite a few that aren't too bad. I've been on a lean cuisine work lunch kick for a while now, mostly because I'm building up the points to get that lunch bag :laugh:

I absolutely love the spinach, artichoke, chicken panini. I think the sodium is a little high on it but it is soooooo good and very filling for such a little sandwich. It's nice too since most of them are 200-300 calories it leaves me quite a bit of calories for dinner (which is when I'm the most hungry anyway) and a late night snack too!
  • 388gigi
    388gigi Posts: 485 Member
    Options

i can get one at walmart for 2$ each ... so they are really affordable lunches too! teaches me a bit about portion control

JEALOUS!! They're at least $5 in Australia =(
  • sh3lby03
    sh3lby03 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    There is a new brand I tried called "Lightlife" its natural...along the lines of Kashi, but a good bit cheaper. I only found them at Wegman's, no other grocery stores in the area carry them yet:(
  • bergswoman
    Options
    I eat the weight watchers smart ones usually for lunch and a yogurt. They are cheap and some are tastey it does really heal with portion size. I haven't exercised too much but I lost 3 lbs my first week. and I finally get hungry and I feel better about my self. I'm not too worried about the sodium, I have low sodium levels anyway.
  • missindepndnt86
    missindepndnt86 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I do agree, some of them have a lot of sodium.. but there are quite a few that aren't too bad. I've been on a lean cuisine work lunch kick for a while now, mostly because I'm building up the points to get that lunch bag :laugh:

I just saw the lunch bag thing on my LC lunch box today! I wish I knew about it earlier since I've already eaten half of what we need! lol
  • HealthyishWithMaggieG
    Options
    Years ago, I was using eDiets.com because I wanted to eat healthier. I loved how they included convenience meals in their tracking options. (MFP has them too. Just demonstrating how this got started.) They had a link that talked about frozen entrees/meals and what you should eat with them to have a completely balanced meal. I posted the print out on my fridge and it's been there ever since. Now, I don't follow the suggestions all the time, plus, I've cut back on processed foods, but it's sound advice. Here goes:

If you pick a 200-calorie entree, add:
    1 fruit, 1 cup of salad, 1 Tbls dressing and 1 cup of milk

If you pick a 250-calorie entree, add:
    1 fruit, 1 cup of salad, 1 Tbls dressing and 1/2 a whole grain cereal bar

If you pick a 300-calorie entree, add:
    1 fruit, 1 cup of salad, 1 Tbls dressing

If you pick a 350-calorie entree, add:
    1 fruit

If you pick a 400-calorie entree, add:
    nothing

When I was following this, regularly, it really helped because the boxed meal was never enough for me. Rounding out the meal with the other items filled me up.
  • helenamonks
    Options
    I keep some in the house for pinch situations, I dont really like to eat a lot of them b/c of the sodium content.
  • themommie
    themommie Posts: 5,023 Member
    Options
    I agree. I eat them quite a bit for lunch because it is easy, tasty and helps me to keep within calories and learn portion control. I have lost 49lbs since july , so obviously they do help. I also eat the smart ones. I love the cannoli ones also but have trouble finding them I also love the chicken alfredo with brocoli
  • Serenifly
    Serenifly Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    haha I just singed up on the points thing too! Luckily I've been too lazy to empty my recycle bin at work, so I got 800 points from this week :) I want the lunch bag too ! haha Sodium levels dont bother me as much as cals and fat and sugar ... I put salt on everything anyways ... one day I'll cut down ... but I'm losing weight, so I'm sticking with in! haha

I always eat a cup of veggies with it. I know eating 'fresh' is always better, I have fresh for dinner, I do P90X in the mornings now and until I get my morning routine solid, I run out of time to make lunch, as least there are no preservatives :) and the variety!
  • qtwells82
    qtwells82 Posts: 352
    Options
    I love them! I love my pizza and the pepperoni pizzas are soooo good. Even come out of the microwave crispy! I also like smart ones. Yum yum
  • MassiveDelta
    MassiveDelta Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    Every week day I eat one. I know that they aren't the best option but it was an easy and super convenient way to make sure I was not over eating or going off diet. which when I started was a huge reason for me to get off track. I count on it.

I have actually gotten to the point where I want to start eliminating them and I feel im ready to make that extra effort to make something ahead of time and prepare something more suitable and healthy.
  • ♥Violette♥4Ever♥
    Options
    I hate to admit it but I live on these things because I don't know how to cook. When I have attempted to cook something, I can't eat it because it tastes so nasty.
  • jessieinblue
    jessieinblue Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I don't eat them anymore. I used to, but now they all taste like cardboard to me. Too processed. :( Every once in awhile I will have one of the Healthy Choice All Natural meals, but even those are, like, three or four times a year.

I do enjoy some of the frozen meals from Trader Joe's, and a couple from the Amy's and Michael Angelo's brands.