Low Calorie Chai Latte – 10 Calories

Options
WadeLam
WadeLam Posts: 224 Member
Okay, okay…I know that it’s August. I totally get that most people are drinking iced coffee beverages this time of year. I. Am. Not. Most. People.

I could drink piping hot chai latte in the middle of the Gobi Desert, for crying out loud. Don’t judge. Plus…and don’t hate me…but I have to point out that fall is coming. There, I said it. Whew, that felt good. Imma say it again…

FALL. IS. COMING. :)

Break out the spiced beverage and apple-pumpkin recipes people! What a glorious time of year. I love life. And I love this recipe.

Low Calorie Chai Latte – 10 Calories
(originally from AngelVDevil)

95ucmc.jpg

Ingredients (makes 4 cups):

• 1 Cinnamon Stick
• 1 tsp Ground Cardamom
• 8 Cloves
• Peeled and Grated Ginger (0.5″ for a mild cup/1″ for some spice/1.5″ for a fiery cup)
• 3 Cups Water
• 1 Cup Almond Milk (you can also use soy/coconut milk)
• 2 Black/English Tea Bags
• 4 Squirts of Liquid Stevia (Vanilla Blend)

Directions:

Peel and grate the ginger (using the larger hole side of the grater) into a dish or small bowl. Put 3 cups of water in a saucepan with all of the spices and ginger and bring to a boil, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes. Remove from heat and steep for 15 minutes. Return to the heat and bring to a boil, add the 2 tea bags, stir and remove from the heat. Brew for 3-6 minutes, depending on how strong you want the tea flavor to be. Strain the tea through a sieve and then pour the strained tea back into the saucepan. Discard the teabags and spice residue. Mix in the Stevia and almond milk, and then return to the heat just long enough to heat through. Serve and relax! Allow any remaining tea to cool before decanting into an airtight container. Keep refrigerated. A one cup serving with Stevia contains 10 calories, 1g fat and 0.25 g protein.

Benefits:

Ginger:
• Improves digestion - helps with nausea, motion sickness, gas, constipation, stomach upsets, and loss of appetite.
• Antacid
• Detoxifying - has a thermogenic effect.
• Antioxidant
• Anti-inflammatory - can ease muscle pain and works well whether heated or raw.
• Helps ease migraines and can lower blood pressure (WebMD)

Cardamom:
• Helps with digestion problems similar those that Ginger helps with.
• Can be used to treat minor infections such as colds, coughs and sore mouth/throat (WebMD)

Cloves:
• Antibacterial
• Anti-inflammatory
• Aids digestion (nausea, gas, motion sickness)
• Expectorant
• Eases bad breath

Cinnamon:
• Decreases pain and muscle spasms
• Assists indigestion; relieves stomach upsets
• Boosts immune system (Medical News Today)
• Regulates blood sugar
• Lowers LDL cholesterol levels
• Lowers blood pressure

Replies

• MyssPhytt
    MyssPhytt Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Thank you, thank you, thank you!!! I too love hot beverages all year long. I don't care if its 110 degree outside. And I absolutely LOVE fall! This recipe sounds amazing but also sounds like a lot of work (but I'm kinda lazy like that). You should sell this in liquid form, and then I can just buy it, heat it up, and drink! :drinker:
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Looks yummy! I love ginger....it's great in iced tea too.

I'm lazy and just use chai tea bags....Twinings makes a spiced apple chai and a pumpkin spice chai that are pretty good.
  • WadeLam
    Options

I'm lazy and just use chai tea bags....Twinings makes a spiced apple chai and a pumpkin spice chai that are pretty good.
    *GASP* Apple Chai? I just died...
  • WadeLam
    Options
    Thank you, thank you, thank you!!! I too love hot beverages all year long. I don't care if its 110 degree outside. And I absolutely LOVE fall! This recipe sounds amazing but also sounds like a lot of work (but I'm kinda lazy like that). You should sell this in liquid form, and then I can just buy it, heat it up, and drink! :drinker:
    As per TeaBea, you could use Twinings Chai tea bags (Apple Chai or Pumpkin Spice Chai), add a spash of almond milk and a squirt of vanilla Stevia. That would save time. Shoot...I might just do this from now on...LOL...
  • TeaBea
    Options

*GASP* Apple Chai? I just died...

Sorry......not liking the whole black pepper thing in chai either. I know it's traditional....just not my cup of tea (pun intended).
  • TeaBea
    Options
    As per TeaBea, you could use Twinings Chai tea bags (Apple Chai or Pumpkin Spice Chai), add a spash of almond milk and a squirt of vanilla Stevia. That would save time. Shoot...I might just do this from now on...LOL...

Yes - but a recipe is great too. You can tweak it however you like. Because I like ginger so much, I will be trying this recipe with added ginger.

I've tried brands of chai that I dislike (Celestial Seasonings does the black pepper thing) .....I threw away most of the box. Stash chai is heavy on the clove. But I'm good with clove.
  • WarriorReady
    WarriorReady Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    Thanks! :flowerforyou:
  • Tiernan1212
    Tiernan1212 Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    *don't shoot me*

I actually prefer my chai tea iced :laugh:

I got seriously hooked on it when I was working as a barista in Seattle, and we sold the Oregon Chai. I love to load up a cup with ice, fill it almost to the top with the chai mix, and add a splash of half & half.

This recipe does sound fabulous though :flowerforyou:
  • MyssPhytt
    Options

That sounds like a plan....but I wonder if it will be just as low cal? Most of the chai latte's that I like are not too calorie friendly it seems, but I've not tried very many.
  • MyssPhytt
    Options
    Ahh!!! Good news!

Twinings spiced apple chai tea is 0 cals! So if you're using almond milk and stevia, it should end up about the same. Now I HAVE to try it

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/calories/twinings-spiced-apple-chai-tea-20271606
  • RinnyLush
    RinnyLush Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    In to try once fall rolls around. :wink:
  • pronetocrash91
    pronetocrash91 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Bump!