Trouble gaining

Options
Hi, I'm new here.

I'm looking for some advice as I'm having trouble gaining weight and nothing seems to be working.
I've tried eating 6 meals a day for about 2 weeks and I managed to gain some. But, if I missed even one meal my weight would plummet right back down to where I started in the first place. I try to eat lots of eggs, peanut butter, breads, butter, junk food etc but it's not having much of an effect. I weigh myself throughout the day and it seems that I fluctuate from 97-99 pounds. (I'm 5'1)

I was a pretty good size when I was 14. Everyone was telling me to lose weight and I did but I never thought I'd have this much of a problem putting it back on. I'm 21 now and I have a 2 year old daughter and a 5 month old son who I'm currently breastfeeding. I lost all of my baby weight after both pregnancies within a month despite trying to hold on to it. So, now I'm pretty desperate to put some back on. I've even been weight lifting 3-4 days a week to gain muscle. People say the meanest, rudest things about me either directly to my face or in my presence as if I'm not even there! My own mother has asked me outright to my face if I'm anorexic and I have to endure constant comments about my 2 year being bigger than I am.

I am not trying to look this way on purpose. My biggest issue is appetite. For whatever reason, I get very, very hungry during the late hours of the night (12am-4am) but never during the day.

Any ideas or suggestions on what I should eat and what I should do to stimulate my appetite?

Thanks in advance.

Replies

• MagnumBurrito
    MagnumBurrito Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    My biggest issue is appetite. For whatever reason, I get very, very hungry during the late hours of the night (12am-4am) but never during the day.

I would be in Taco Bell / KFC heaven!

Just eat more. Your stomach will expand after 2 weeks consistent effort.
  • bciloveme2014
    bciloveme2014 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    If you still breastfeeding that could be the reason for loosing weight faster, try to eat everything, including ice cream, (junk food not so much) and continue with the workout to stimulate your appetite, and try eat even when you are not hungry. Good luck

Sorry about the comments, ( take them from who it's coming from)
  • xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    You could try drinking a mass gainer protein shake. Most of them have a 1000 calorie punch with them. (You can change the serving size to better fit your calorie needs).

Also, eat as much as you can when you are hungry.

And ice cream (if you aren't lactose intolerant).
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    You're ust not eating enough. Really.

Eat high calorie- low filling food (ice cream- fast food- chips and salsa- cook everything with oil- eat bacon and fries.

All the things you need to eat.

And milk if you can.

Oreo's IN your ice cream.

keep on eating till you start gaining!
  • lindawheeler79
    lindawheeler79 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I would say up your calorie intake to 2,500 a day whilst breastfeeding. You can have 2,000 a day to maintain your weight but you require the extra 500 cos you're feeding your baby. Also, try eating little and often. Hope this helps.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Your diary is closed, so I can't tell exactly how much you're eating.

As such, my guess is that when you say, " I try to eat lots of eggs, peanut butter, breads, butter, junk food etc but it's not having much of an effect," you're not really eating nearly as much as you think. 6 meals, in and of themselves (itself?), doesn't mean anything. If your meals are all 200-300 Calories, that's only 1200-1800 Calories per day. Most people would need more than that. However much you're eating, you need more. It's really that simple.

edit: Jo mentioned something above - milk. Drink lots of it, in addition to what you're now eating. You may not need to GOMAD (gallon of milk a day), but it's an easy source of Calories. As others have mentioned, anything that is high in Calories - not just "junk food." Try eating high-carb foods, as those tend to not be as filling/satiating.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    Open your diary. You can't get help if you don't give enough information.

I empathize with the lack of appetite, but it's a habit. Try going back to three meals a day and increase your breakfast to a third of your daily intake. Then add snacks back in. Make sure that MFP has determined the right amount of calories for your height, weight and activity level (probably don't use sedentary).

Eat back your exercise calories.

I was where you are because of a medical diagnosis when I had to discontinue eating a lot of foods I was used to. Now I'm having a much better time and enjoying my day more because I'm eating enough to sustain myself.
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    Don't weigh yourself throughout the day. Everyone fluctuates throughout the day, so you're not getting meaningful data that way. Weigh in once, first thing in the morning, record it and move on.

It takes WAY longer than two weeks to see gains. What would you say if someone said "I've been eating at a deficit for two weeks and haven't lost anything?" You'd tell that person that they've just barely started, that it will take a long time, and to be patient. The same things apply to gaining weight.

Finally, the frequency of your meals doesn't have anything to do with anything. It doesn't matter if you're eating 3x a day or 6x, if you're not creating a caloric surplus.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Simple carbs that don't fill you up are the easiest way to pack on the calories in my opinion. Especially if you drink them. Get some different fruit juices and drink them instead of water throughout the day. Replace your 8 glasses of water with juice and you are looking at an easy 1000 calories.

Weight gainer shakes are a reasonable option if you're really struggling. You can pack 600-800 calories in a shake without even adding anything to it.
  • Sora4ever
    Sora4ever Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    You could be having trouble gaining weight due to breast feeding, or even hormones being out of whack from giving birth 5 months ago. Either way, try figuring out what your TDEE is, then add maybe 15% or 20% to that, and make it your goal to eat that many calories everyday. Try eating more simple carbs, like pastas, pizza, potatoes, stuff like that, and eat larger portion sizes. I think it's a good idea to stay healthy, don't just start filling up on junk and fast food. If you start gaining weight on fast food, you'll most likely start having heart and cholesterol problems in the future...but I'm no doctor. You should probably consult with a doctor before starting any weight gain/loss diet. You can still gain weight and eat healthy so be careful.

Also, just make sure that you want to gain weight for you, not for other people. Honestly, who cares if people are giving you crap. What matters is if you feel happy with your body. Don't gain or lose weight because someone else is telling you to do so. Hope this helped.
  • BBowen92
    Options
    Hi again,

Thanks so much for your help everyone.

All of your comments really hit home. I never even considered that I might not be taking in enough calories despite how often I eat. And, now that I think about it I'm sure breastfeeding is a huge factor in this as well. I'm definitely going to eat 3 big meals a day from now on as well as incorporate some weight gainers. I think that way I don't have to dread forcing myself to eat all day.

Once again, thanks for all the helpful advice! I really appreciate it. I'm going to be patient and give myself a few weeks before I start to look for results.
  • cwoyto123
    cwoyto123 Posts: 308
    Options
    EAT MORE

I'm eating 6000+ each day to gain, what are you eating?
  • W31RD0
    W31RD0 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    If you still breastfeeding that could be the reason for loosing weight faster, try to eat everything, including ice cream, (junk food not so much)

Is ice cream not junk food anymore? Doesn't it have a load of sugar and flavoring?
  • kynsie2
    kynsie2 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I too have trouble gaining weight. And if I miss just one or two meals, for some reason I lose a pd or 2.
    Don't fill up on junk food and high fat foods. There is NO nutrition in them.
    Do you want to end up pre diabetic or have heart disease or high cholesterol?
    (Might take years but you will)
    Yea, you sit and eat a gal of ice cream or a box of twinkies you might gain weight, but you would just be poisoning yourself.
    3 meals (nutritious) with healthy snacks in between each and before bed.
    Snacks are fine occasionally, but it shouldn't be a diet to gain weight.
  • atkinsshake
    atkinsshake Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Some people post baby, tend to lose weight, metabolism speeds up and breast feeding sucks the calories right out of you. I dont think that at your height and weight that it is so bad to be thin. Dont listen to the nay sayers, if you feel comfortable at that weight dont push yourself to gain because of what others say. When you stop breast feeding it will be easier. Your baby needs you and you really have to stop listening to what others have to say. 6 meals a day and snacking is fine, you are getting the nutrition. Unless you have a malabsorption problem that would be evidenced by diarrhea or something I would not worry about it....as far as eating when your not hungry, I wouldnt. You just may regret that later on. Good luck.
  • atkinsshake
    Options
    I agree with Kynsie2!!
  • atkinsshake
    Options
    I also agree with SOra4ever