20-something with PCOS "starting over"...

Options
Hi all -

As the subject says, I am a 20-something with PCOS who is trying to start her "nutritional life" over. My weight has ballooned over the past two years, and I am now the heaviest I have ever been. The straw that broke the camel's back, as it were, and made me join was an ovarian cyst that burst yesterday morning. It was disgusting & painful, so now I am going to work hard to avoid having that happen again. Weight is a huge factor when it comes to PCOS symptoms, so here I am...

I would love to connect with others who are trying to lose weight to help combat PCOS, or just anyone who wants an encouragement buddy. Happy healthy eating to you all!

--Sellorap

Replies

• kristijohnson1
    kristijohnson1 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Back in the 90's I was diagnosed with PCOS. I can relate some there.
  • charm9
    charm9 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I have recently been diagnosed with PCOS and would welcome any friends going through the same thing. I am trying to control my weight in hope that I will have a successful pregnancy.

Feel free to add :)
  • mljenson
    Options
    I'm also in my early twenties and was diagnosed with PCOS. I "started over" at the beginning of this summer. My goal was to be on a whole foods diet in order to get ready to have a healthy pregnancy. Subsequently, I found out about the PCOS and I'm actually so relieved to know why I've had the symptoms I do. I commend you on making this commitment; good job. It's hard, but my motto is slow and steady. I started by replacing one non-whole food item with a whole food item. I also started logging my diet on paper and that turned into MFP. At this time, I'm 90% whole foods and REALLY paying attention to foods that are low on the glycemic index. I've lose 6 lbs. total and am starting to see results,but it is really hard with PCOS. It's so excruciating to lose such a small amount of weight when you change so much (I also exercise daily), but that's PCOS. Good luck! Luckily, after losing 10-15 lbs, your body will thank you for it and start to get back to a "normal."
  • Catter_05
    Catter_05 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your decision. Feel free to friend me. I am 41 with PCOS so I know the battle you are going through. Keep at it. You can get it under control.
  • Miss_1999
    Miss_1999 Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    Hi ladies! I'm, unfortunately not 20 something, but I definitely know about living with PCOS. Unfortunately, I went many years undiagnosed and untreated, which lead to me ending up at 400lbs, insulin levels that were so high that my body was *literally* poisoning itself, most of my hair had fallen out, I was sleeping close to 16 hours a day and it still wasn't enough, and I'd stopped having periods. I didn't a quality of life. After finally getting a diagnosis, and having a full blood panel done (I HIGHLY recommend this to any woman suffering with PCOS- it's crucial you know your hormone levels- and know how your insulin is as well) I was able to start a treatment plan to get me on the right track.

I realize that I am in the 1% of the 1 to 3% of us who struggle with PCOS, but it's a horrible battle to fight. When your hormones are out of balance, it's difficult if not impossible to lose weight, even with proper diet and exercise. In high school, I ate 1000 calories a day, and took step aerobics 5 times a week for a solid year. I lost NOT ONE SINGLE POUND. Nothing. Now, I know why. There are natural alternatives to balance hormones if things are off- such as estrogen being too low, testosterone being too high, or being insulin resistant. In my case, I was so far gone, that I required not one, but two prescription medications. To this day, I still take Byetta, to make my body only produce the insulin that I need, and stop my body from producing too much, and Metformin ER, to absorb the insulin that is produced. With these two medications, I'm able to metabolize the food that I eat, and actually lose weight.

With these two medications, along with watching my carbohydrates, I've gone from 400lbs to 225lbs. I still have more to go, but I have come a long way.

About a month or so ago, I did start taking Phentermine under the supervision of an FNP. This is something that is only temporary, and for those who are looking for a long term lifestyle change, I'll be honest, this isn't the route to take. This is just something to help me get the last little bit off. I've been struggling and needed that last little *push* so to speak to do it.

The majority of us suffering with PCOS typically have IR or insulin resistance, so going with a higher protein/lower carbohydrate meal plan/lifestyle does two things- not only does it help us to lose weight, but it helps to boost energy. Fatigue is one of the number one complaints of women with PCOS.

To those who were hoping to lose weight so that you will be able to get pregnant-- keep going! I was at 287lbs when I got pregnant with my daughter! I didn't use any fertility drugs or treatments, and went on to have a full term pregnancy, with no gestational diabetes. It can be done! I've got faith in you ladies!