Make this better...

Options
A co-worker told me to try a super simple recipe that she loves, I did and I like it but it could use something else. It is a low fat Devils food cake mix and a large can of pumpkin, mixed, put into a Pam sprayed muffin tin and baked for 20 min at 400. That is it.
It is good, but a bit bland, if it is going to be a treat for the kids and I, what could I do to make it a bit more exciting? and keep it heathier? Or do you have a recipe to suggest that is that simple??
I don't enjoy to cook or bake so simple is best!!

Replies

• xXAlana21Xx
    xXAlana21Xx Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    weird idea- you can top it with fruit and vanilla yogurt... sounds good in theory
  • melissa1977
    melissa1977 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Put some cinnamon and vanilla extract in the mix. I do that with all my cake mixes anyway, just because if you're using a store bought cake mix, sometimes it needs that added oomph. Or you could even use pumpkin pie spice.
  • Leannek74
    Leannek74 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    maybe a little cinnamon (burns calories!) or nutmeg.....
  • ncorkett
    ncorkett Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    You could add walnuts or pecans.
  • LaurenRose2011
    Options
    Add some cinnamon to the mix before baking, and then try topping individual pieces with natural applesauce when serving. ;)
  • Leannek74
    Leannek74 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    Add some cinnamon to the mix before baking, and then try topping individual pieces with natural applesauce when serving. ;)
    Smart, that would be good!
  • aprilgicker
    aprilgicker Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    try a grated lemon and splenda drizzle frosting
  • HeatherCanDoIt
    HeatherCanDoIt Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the suggestions!!
  • hopefullmelinda
    hopefullmelinda Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hey just wanted you to know that that recipe works for the spice cake box and any of the other mixes in that line. I really like the spice cake with the pumpkin, as it has the spices in it. :)
  • jessieinblue
    jessieinblue Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I was going to suggest walnuts and cinnamon, but people beat me to it :P