Protein shakes

Options
Hello everyone! I am looking for a good protein replacement shake. I have used Xyngular in the past. I liked it but it was so expensive and there were so many extra things that came with it. I was researching Shakeology and Body By Vi. I have read mixed reviews. I was wondering if anyone used any that they really liked. Also, are these kind of shakes good or am I better buying a thing of protein from GNC? I am so confused. Thank you in advance.

Replies

• LAT1963
    LAT1963 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    Reads topic. Pictures someone having protein-withdrawal shaking fit, like alcohol withdrawal. (not a real illness, just the image popped to mind)
  • Jonalee1977
    Jonalee1977 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    I use Protein 17. It's an organic whey protein and there is only one ingredient.
  • Booda101
    Booda101 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Just get a good brand of Whey Protein and make your own. I use either skim milk or greek yogurt as my base and then add either assorted fruits or peanut butter.
  • vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    Options
    Any quality brand of whey is fine. Cellucor tastes great, MTS is good, optimum nutrition is good as well. Shakeolgy is way overpriced for what you get.
  • Loss4TheWin
    Options
    Any quality brand of whey is fine. Cellucor tastes great, MTS is good, optimum nutrition is good as well. Shakeolgy is way overpriced for what you get.

This. I'm partial to the Optimum Nutrition Double Chocolate Whey Protein. Tastes good mixed with milk, water or coffee.
  • eventerchick80
    eventerchick80 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Optimum Nutrition Extreme Milk Chocolate is the first protein that I've been able to drink mixing it only with water, it tastes like a yoohoo. I highly recommend it.

Also, buying all the complicated deals are kind of a waste. Get something that's versatile and add what you want based on what you need and are feeling for the day.
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Options
    Generally speaking Whey is Whey. If it's a super-cheap brand I might be leery (like $50 for 5lbs of ON versus $20 for 5lbs of brand X) because they could've used a poor process for making the protein. But when you're looking at apples-to-apples (ON, Vitamin Shoppe brand, MusclePharm, etc) is all about the same. Some brands like GaspariNutrition use a blend that's mostly whey, but they add casein and egg protein to it. I don't know that it's really all that better, your whole food lean meat consumption will digest slowly as well. Find one that you like, can afford, and most importantly - one that you can tolerate.
  • WombatHat42
    WombatHat42 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I use myprotein.com impact whey protein. and get plain then add fruit and milk to it. Spent maybe 20 for 2.5 lbs. It also gives an ingredient list of what is in it such as omegas and other amino acids sometimes they have some sometimes they dont it is something to look out for because they are essential to healthy eating
  • bethanimal4
    bethanimal4 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    i've tried shakeology and hated it.. i've been using designer whey french vanilla powder and make my own. just add almond milk and and ice or frozen fruit if i feel like it
  • ajnb88
    ajnb88 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Macro:meal from Myprotein. A shake keeps me going for 2-3 hours, it's a lifesaver at work where my only options for lunch are McDonalds or a Kebab.

Plus it tastes awesome.
  • WombatHat42
    WombatHat42 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Macro:meal from Myprotein. A shake keeps me going for 2-3 hours, it's a lifesaver at work where my only options for lunch are McDonalds or a Kebab.

Plus it tastes awesome.

Nothing wrong with a good kebab every now and then :wink:
  • Fit_Housewife
    Fit_Housewife Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I like cellucor bodybuilding.com has it pretty cheap
  • happyfeetrebel1
    happyfeetrebel1 Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    EAS AdvantEdge are delicious in chocolate. Available at Target/Wal-Mart and inexpensive

The Total Lean in Swiss Chocolate from GNC are good too, but pricey if not on sale.

Premier Protein available on Walgreens.com and from Costco are decent, but can be a pit on the pricey side.

I special order Syntrax Nectar on Amazon, the manufacturer has a storefront there. These are what my dietician recommended, but keep in mind that they do NOT have the added vitamins, so remember a good mutivitamin as well.

Designer whey is the only one that ever made my physically ill. I couldn't even leave the bathroom. Tried one 3 times..and NOPE. I've tried a LOT...but that one is terrible.

Good luck :)
  • boriuniq
    Options
    Have you tired Herbalife? That could be another option.
  • conniep0523
    conniep0523 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for all of your suggestions. I have heard a few of the same names more than once so I will check them out. You have all been very helpful!
  • Byrdsong1920
    Byrdsong1920 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I love the gnc lean meal replacement shakes...strawberry and banana are good! 170 cals, 2 g sugar, 6 carb, 25g protein. Powders, loving the new vanilla chai flavor by RAW!
  • Remo_Williams
    Options
    I like Optimum Nutrition Natural Whey. No artificial flavors or sweeteners, mixes well, tastes good.
  • conniep0523
    conniep0523 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    HAHA! This really gave me a chuckle.
  • stephgas
    stephgas Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    i use optimum nutrition now, my favorite flavors are mocha cappuccino, coffee, and vanilla ice cream. best prices i find are usually either vitamin shoppe or amazon.

i used to use meal replacement shakes, like gnc lean shakes or slim fast, but in reality the optimum nutrition has fewer calories, less sugar, and a lot more protein. and is much more affordable per serving. i mix mine with water because i'd rather save the calories, but my husband almost always mixes his with almond milk.
  • ajnb88
    ajnb88 Posts: 339 Member
    Options

Plus it tastes awesome.

Nothing wrong with a good kebab every now and then :wink:

Very true! However, I did go through a phase whereby It was basically a kebab or McDonalds every day for about a week. Not good.

EDIT: this is the nutrition info for the shake I use:

Per 80g:
    Energy: 290.0cal
    Protein (as-is): 26.5g
    Carbohydrates: 35.5g
    of which sugars: 0.5g
    Fat: 5.0g