Why am I not seeing results??

Options
Hey everyone,

I've been on here before but never really successfully. I've had problems losing weight since I gained it. For the past 6 months, I have been consistently working out 3-5 times a week and I worked up to this from basically not working out at all before. I do spin class 1 or 2 times a week and I am lifting the other days with 30 minutes of cardio at the end.I have a trainer so I get measurements taken monthly and I'm coming up on month number 6 and I'm beyond frustrated. I feel like I have gotten stronger from when I started but you can't see that at all. All of my measurements are the same or just slightly down and all my clothes are still fitting the same as they did before or worse. I don't want to give up but I'm really losing motivation and I don't really know what to do anymore.

I feel like I am eating well and just got back on here to start logging the food again but nothing I do seems to work. I get mixed advice from the people at the gym so the inconsistencies with what I should be eating or how I should be working out are driving me crazy. The last trainer told me to get my thyroid checked. I had it checked in February and results were normal but I am going to get it tested and my hormones tomorrow.

I'm female, 5' 1.5" and working out more than I ever have in my life and I'm at the highest weight I've ever been at 148lbs. I know weight is only a number and muscle weighs more than fat but I'm not convinced that the weight is muscle.

Any advice on anything would be great! Eating (right now I'm trying to eat 1600 calories with 160g protein, 53g fat and under 120g carbs for my macros) or working out or has anyone had a similar problem and it ended up being hormones or thyroid or something different?

Thanks!

Replies

• amanda9402
    amanda9402 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'3" and 150 ... I can work out every single day for an hour, but if I don't religiously track what I eat, I don't lose anything (or worse, I gain a little). I love to cook and I love to eat and drink delicious things, and portion sizes and snacks creep up on me.

You'll get all kinds of advice here ... you have to figure out what works for you. What has worked best for me so far is to track everything and try to stay in the 1300-1400 calorie range pre-exercise. That, along with 3-4 days a week of cardio + lifting will reliably get me a ~1lb loss each week.

I was militant last year about tracking, and lost ~25lbs. I gained about 5 back over the holidays that I would like to shake back off before my beach vacation next month, so I am trying to get back in the swing of things with tracking everything every day.
  • luckydays27
    luckydays27 Posts: 552 Member
    Options

I'm female, 5' 1.5" and working out more than I ever have in my life and I'm at the highest weight I've ever been at 148lbs. I know weight is only a number and muscle weighs more than fat but I'm not convinced that the weight is muscle.

Any advice on anything would be great! Eating (right now I'm trying to eat 1600 calories with 160g protein, 53g fat and under 120g carbs for my macros) or working out or has anyone had a similar problem and it ended up being hormones or thyroid or something different?

Thanks!

If you are not losing, you need to eat less. Its really that simple. (unless there is an undiagnosed medical condition)

Log your food and count your calories. Try it for 4-6 weeks. Be religious about it and see where you are. Its totally tedious but I have been maintaining for 7 months and counting cals is the only way I am able to do it.

And I think 1600 cals is high for you to lose weight. I am taller, heavier, and older and I eat eat 1700 to maintain (without exercise. If I exercise, I eat those cals also to maintain)

And while protein is good, 160 grams is a bit much. You should get 1 gram of protein for every pound of lean body mass. For me, that's about 115 grams.
  • kayla554
    kayla554 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Yea you're eating too much, need to eat fewer calories. Work out all you want it won't show until you lose the fat though. Track the food you eat because you're probably consuming more calories than you think. Try cutting out a lot of the sodium from your diet aswell, it makes you bloat

Edit: I just read your profile and it says "I eat well so I'm not too concerned about changing my diet" .. and that would be your problem :) Getting a nice body is 80% about what you eat 20% genetics and working out.
  • anbuckmaster
    anbuckmaster Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Ok, I was just going by what the trainer at the gym said for calories. 1600 calories is a lot. I think 1400 is more reasonable. I am going to start tracking again like I was before and see what i find out
  • xxlinds9904xx
    Options
    Today I weighed myself for the first time in 41 days. I have lost inches, i am more toned and look a thousand times better however the needle on the scale did not budge. At first I wanted to break the scale, lol, but I refrained from doing so and quickly relaized that I am building lean muscle and that is why my actual weight is not going down yet.:flowerforyou:
    Give it time and stick with a routine. If your routine is not giving you the results that you want, increse your workouts and intensity.
    Trust me, I can totally relate with what you said about having a hard time losing the weight. I opted to not take any fat burners and do it the "old fashioned" way by simply working out twice a day and using the calorie counter.
    Anyway, I am here for support and I wish you nothing but the best in your efforts to lose the weight!
    I will add you on here as well.
    Respectfully,
    Lindsey
  • FindingAmy77
    FindingAmy77 Posts: 1,266 Member
    Options
    I just looked at your diary and some days you don't log at all or on the days you do, you aren't eating enough. Start with logging everything you eat accurately and you should lose eating 1600 calories. Its all about how much you are taking in. Weigh and measure your foods, pay attention to serving sizes, keep working out and don't go under your calories. I am close to your weight and average 1600 and still lose. ITs not too much if you are working out a lot. Be patient.
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone,

I've been on here before but never really successfully. I've had problems losing weight since I gained it. For the past 6 months, I have been consistently working out 3-5 times a week and I worked up to this from basically not working out at all before. I do spin class 1 or 2 times a week and I am lifting the other days with 30 minutes of cardio at the end.I have a trainer so I get measurements taken monthly and I'm coming up on month number 6 and I'm beyond frustrated. I feel like I have gotten stronger from when I started but you can't see that at all. All of my measurements are the same or just slightly down and all my clothes are still fitting the same as they did before or worse. I don't want to give up but I'm really losing motivation and I don't really know what to do anymore.

I feel like I am eating well and just got back on here to start logging the food again but nothing I do seems to work. I get mixed advice from the people at the gym so the inconsistencies with what I should be eating or how I should be working out are driving me crazy. The last trainer told me to get my thyroid checked. I had it checked in February and results were normal but I am going to get it tested and my hormones tomorrow.

Thanks!

Yup. Hate to say it, but it happened to me. That's not to say it's what's going on with you though. I busted my @ss at the gym and ended up at an all time high of 173 at my worst, about 163 on average.

I'm a 5' tall, 45 year old small framed woman.
    It turned out that the whole time I was Insulin Resistant & on my way to becoming T2D.

I've gotten a handle on things since then & now that all things are equal, losing weight isn't an issue, (keto diet) it's not my goal anymore either :laugh: I lift heavy 3 x weekly, walk about 3 miles per day & maintain my weight of 126# at 2k calories per day.

This website helped me understand how my activity level affects my ability to lose weight or stay the same in relation to increasing calories, not dropping them. Seems counter intuitive, right? Only one way to find out though...after some blood work, some experimenting to find out your true TDEE. You may want to google metabolic homeostasis as well.

http://calorieline.com/tools/tdee

As always, your mileage may vary.