Getting back into proper shape

Options
Hello

I am a male 30 years old and weigh about 225lbs. the last time i seriously worked out was about 4 years ago. since then i will admit have gotten quite lazy and to sum it up let myself go!!!.

i was recently in a accident where another vehicle struck me on the driver side, although i am ok to the point that i dont have any broken bones my body did take a number.

After many looks in the mirror i want to take the step of getting back into shape as i am sick and tired of looking like a slob. after years of fast food, and lounging as soon as i get home from work (which is a desk job) i honestly cannot take the fact that all the things i want to do i cant because of my weight (wearing nice fit suits, being able to take my shirt off and go in a pool etc.) about 2 1/2 years ago my wife bought an elliptical in where i said i would use it everyday, that last 2 weeks!.

I am at the point that i really want to make a commitment to myself that i need to get back into shape, one excuse i keep saying to myself is that i have a messed up shoulder and fear it will pop out (years ago i tore my rotator cuff and never felt it was 100% agian).

What i ask of the community is what steps should i take outside to push myself back into working out and getting healthier. i know there are the usual answers like more veggies, run, walk etc but am looking for something that will really get me out of this rut.

Sorry for jumping all over the place but i can provide as much detail as possible once feedback comes way.

Thank you.

Replies

• Drevious
    Drevious Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Set one goal a week and only one goal at a time. Like for the first week give up fast food. Then the second week, add a new goal like going for an hour long walk after dinner every day. Too much at one time is hard. My goal this week is to drink enough water every day. Good luck!
  • BRobertson23
    BRobertson23 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Congrats! You are taking the first major step - acknowledging that you want to better yourself and your health. If you can't or won't acknowledge it, you can't fix it. However, just saying or thinking we want to lose weight will not make the pounds disappear.

As someone who works a desk job, I empathize with you. It can be hard to get in the activity, but here's what I have made the CHOICE to do:
    -Every break, I take a walk - we get two ten minute breaks each day. I walk with co-workers. However, they are fair-weather walkers, so if it's raining, they will opt out....I just make sure to bring a rain jacket and I go out anyway. I also make sure to make it a BRISK walk, not a stroll. This adds 20 minutes of exercise to 5 days of my week!

-Restroom breaks means it's time for some Squats! Every time I use the restroom, I try to do 10-25 squats EVERY time. My husband and I actually started a squat competition where we'd text each other during the day to say how many squats we got it...we've done up to 200 during the work day! This big muscle group helps with fat burn.

-Get in a walk, run, or SOME activity BEFORE work. Even if it's only 10 minutes, do something that gets your body moving! I walk my dog before work...now we're adding in running...but it will take 20-30 minutes to do our route. The dog's so trained to do this in the mornings, that if I flake and stay in bed, he'll come whine and whimper until I get up.

-On top of the activity, my husband and I will walk in the evenings together. Sometimes a short walk (30 minutes), and sometimes longer (an hour and a half).

Whatever you choose to do, remember that you're creating a pattern of behavior, so there will be a number of times when you don't want to or feel up to doing the activity, but that's when you have to make the choice to do it. Eventually, it will just be part of your routine, and your new healthy lifestyle!

You can do it!!