Is it common not to lose weight the first month?

Options
My height is 5ft1. I'm twenty-years-old female. My starting weight is 120lbs.

I started exercising on July 4th. It's been a month since I've done my daily aerobics (medium intensity) of 20-60 minutes a day, and I eat around 1000-1500 calories a day. The aerobics I do are planks, jogging, electric chair, push ups, ab workouts, squats, and stretches. I eat pretty healthy food too. I don't eat any junk food nor do I go out to restaurants that many times. The only food I've been eating are organic vegetables, chicken, and fish.

Now, I weigh 121lbs. (Gained 1lb. Must be muscles.) My goal weight is 107lbs. I was hoping that the first month, I would lose at least 3lbs instead I gained 1lb.

I noticed small changes like my stomach is a little flatter where the only person who would notice that is me, and lost a few centimeters (like 0.1-0.5 centimeters) around some areas. That's it. That's just from one month, and I don't know if progress for me is suppose to be this slow.

I'm wondering if the reason that it's harder for me to lose weight and get tone, since my bmi is already in the normal range, and I have 25% body fat. And there's really no reason for me to lose anything since everything is physically normal.

I don't know. I'm at a lost. Anyone have tips on how I can lose some weight when I'm already at a healthy weight. Tips where it's cheap for me. I don't want to consult with a doctor, get trained by a personal trainer, and go to a gym.

Replies

• jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    Do you weigh your food? Do you "eat back" exercise calories?
  • BoatsnHose
    BoatsnHose Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    1000 - 1500 is a huge difference for a person of your height and weight.

And to answer your question, no it's not common if you are in a deficit.
  • Sunhia
    Sunhia Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    No, I don't weigh my food. I don't have a scale for that.

No, I start my exercises after resting from dinner.
  • Sunhia
    Options
    I don't really know exactly how many calories I eat.
    I do log them on the Noom app. And if I go according to Noom's app it would be 500-1000 calories per day.

I don't trust that app, since my food is homemade by my mom, so I made up that 1000-1500 calories.

Maybe I should change it to around 700-1200 calories. Well, I don't really know much about calories.

I believe that as long as I eat lots of greens and not starving. I'm fine.
  • BoatsnHose
    BoatsnHose Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Just make sure you know how many calories you're netting so you can have an accurate read and adjust as necessary.

A lot of people here will tell you not to go under 1200, but it is BS. If it works for you and you aren't starving, go for it.
  • LifeWithPie
    LifeWithPie Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    My height is 5ft1. I'm twenty-years-old female. My starting weight is 120lbs.

I started exercising on July 4th. It's been a month since I've done my daily aerobics (medium intensity) of 20-60 minutes a day, and I eat around 1000-1500 calories a day. The aerobics I do are planks, jogging, electric chair, push ups, ab workouts, squats, and stretches. I eat pretty healthy food too. I don't eat any junk food nor do I go out to restaurants that many times. The only food I've been eating are organic vegetables, chicken, and fish.

Now, I weigh 121lbs. (Gained 1lb. Must be muscles.) My goal weight is 107lbs. I was hoping that the first month, I would lose at least 3lbs instead I gained 1lb.

I noticed small changes like my stomach is a little flatter where the only person who would notice that is me, and lost a few centimeters (like 0.1-0.5 centimeters) around some areas. That's it. That's just from one month, and I don't know if progress for me is suppose to be this slow.

I'm wondering if the reason that it's harder for me to lose weight and get tone, since my bmi is already in the normal range, and I have 25% body fat. And there's really no reason for me to lose anything since everything is physically normal.

I don't know. I'm at a lost. Anyone have tips on how I can lose some weight when I'm already at a healthy weight. Tips where it's cheap for me. I don't want to consult with a doctor, get trained by a personal trainer, and go to a gym.

Then why are you?
  • Sunhia
    Options
    For that vanity pounds.
    :flowerforyou:
  • michikade
    michikade Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Perhaps you may want to look more into strength training for body composition changes if it's a vanity issue rather than an overweight issue. Muscle definition and a change in body fat percentage may get you what you want to see in the mirror rather than a number on the scale. :)
  • Sunhia
    Options
    Yeah, I don't really know what numbers I'm suppose to have if I were to look toned, and less fat.

I'll try strength training. Thanks.
  • xoxsahara
    xoxsahara Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Totally normal! PLEASE DON'T LET IT FREAK YOU OUT. I was super scale obsessed, didn't lose weight for the first 3 weeks and I was working out EVERY SINGLE DAY. Realized I needed a day or two of rest, so then I had my rest day and after that I've been losing weight consecutively :)