Almost 50 - Over 150 pounds to lose - support desired

Options
Hi everyone, I am Jen from Indiana and will be 50 next month. FIFTY!!! Lord have mercy where did the time go. I have three children ages 25, 24, and 17. Fall of 2015, I will officially be an empty nester! I want to be a healthier me and enjoy my "golden" years and not have to worry about my weight and health. I officially started 25 days ago and logged faithfully on MFP until last weekend which was our family reunion. I didn't even bother to log the food. So now MFP shows 3 days logging. Since I have started I have lost 8 pounds which is just fine with me, it is not a gain!

Last week I started at the gym, doing things slowly but yet pushing myself for an extra minute or lift each time I go. I am determined to do this and will do this one pound at a time. I am so grateful that MFP has an app for my phone so I can keep track of all calories consumed which makes it much easier than doing it on paper and adding up the points myself.

Would love to make new friends who have been there and who are there now and understands what this is all about.

PS......if anyone knows how to help me place my sideways picture the right way that would be great. *smile*

Blessings,

Jen

Replies

• Zaefandel
    Options
    Hi there, welcome! There is great support here. You definitely came to the wright place! I'm from Missouri and sent you a request. :)
  • Cerakoala
    Cerakoala Posts: 2,547 Member
    Options
    Hello Jen! :) It's nice to meet you :) Congrats on making the decision to get healthy. It sounds like you are off to a good start. Make sure you log all food that is key in this journey. Even if it is a bad day log, it helps us realize how much we are really putting into our bodies :) Also remember that even when we fall as long as week keep getting back up we will never fail :) I started with 300lbs to lose and have about 85 or so left :) Feel free to add me if you would like support and encouragement. Best of luck on your journey! :)
  • JaimieAG
    JaimieAG Posts: 48
    Options
    Welcome Jen!
  • Jannalicious
    Jannalicious Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Welcome Jen. So nice to meet you. First I've been here nearly 2yrs. I've lost 56lbs and want to lose another 50. Plz add me if you'd like. Second lets try to fix your profile picture. I'm guessing you took it with you phone straight up. Happens to me all the time. This is what works for me. Open the picture and hit edit. Turn it one way or the other til it looks like it does now and save it. Then go back to that sideways pic, hit edit and turn it until it's facing completely upright. Hit save and then upload to MFP! It should work. Always does for me! :smile:
  • Kalley1959
    Kalley1959 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Welcome Jen. I'm 54 and have only 1 child left at home. I've been working on my weight loss for about 19 months and have lost 100 lbs with about 120 left to lose.

Baby steps and it will happen. Log everything, measure & weigh all your food and move. Find something you enjoy and do it.

you can do it. Feel free to add me. I log in every day.

Sandy
  • thegreatcanook
    thegreatcanook Posts: 2,419 Member
    Options
    You can add me and I'll help as much as I can!
  • maryoracle
    maryoracle Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    OK to add me too - I am almost 60! Sent a friend request - Mary
  • flowrgal23
    flowrgal23 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Hello Jen! I'm 56 and was an empty nester, but one came back to roost temporarily, lol. Feel free to add me as a friend!
  • LTGPSA
    LTGPSA Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    Hi Jen. I will also be 50 on my next birthday. I'm happy to share support, if you'd like to add me. Otherwise, I wish you the best on your journey toward better health! :flowerforyou:
  • lmseil24
    lmseil24 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi Jen, Awesome! I will be 50 this December. I understand where you are coming from and I am also new to MFP. 8 pounds is a great amount of weight loss! Sometimes it's dramatic-sometimes it's not. If you are lifting weights, you will gain muscle mass and the scales won't tip in your favor much. However, I weigh 215 pounds and nobody believes me. I'm only 5'7"!!! I have gained back around 30 pounds after losing 65. Not to worry. Here I am. Here you are. We are all here to change the way we look and more importantly-feel. Keep at it! My goal is to run a full Marathon by next April. I figure if Oprah can do it-so can I. Whatever your goal, keep at it. You will get there and be proud of yourself for doing so. Baby steps... Good Luck and if you want to be my friend-just send a request!:smile:
  • Jen_1964
    Jen_1964 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for the friend requests, words of encouragement and motivation. I am so looking forward to getting to know new people, have fun, and meet goals together.

What a blessing this site is!

Jen
  • 1PoisonIvy
    1PoisonIvy Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    Hey Jen

We can all use extra help, so please add me.

Wow, some of the people on this post have done an amazing job and the rest of us will get there too!!
    Please let's support each other, as for me, this is the hardest thing I have ever done!!
    Ivy
  • RedHeadHotMama
    RedHeadHotMama Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Sent you a request. We all need help. Maybe if I had come here I wouldn't be on this journey again.
  • JennInTx
    JennInTx Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Awesome start, Jen. Keep it up. Finding the right support is key to your journey. Feel free to add me.

JennInTX