7 months from today I'll turn 50!

Options
Hi all,

My name is Brian. For the past 10 months I've really been exercising, with cardio and various strength training 5 days a week. I'm much stronger and have lost about seven inches off my waist, but the scale stubbornly refuses to budge. (I know that some of the weight loss is being offset by muscle gain.) I'm 5' 11", 242 pounds. My trainer has told me over and over that my ultimate success begins with my diet (not as a verb, simply what I eat), so I've gotten serious about logging everything I eat. I feel good and gain motivation reading through the many success stories here on MFP. As the title of my thread says, I'll turn 50 in seven months and I plan to hit that milestone feeling great!

Replies

• zoeesgma
    Options
    Hi Brian, please add me as a friend. I am currently 51 but had a goal of losing 50 pounds by the time I turned 50. I lost 43 but someone I worked with said "don't get discouraged your gonna be 50 for a full year, you have another 364 days to lose your last 7". I did and now I have a few pounds slowly creeping up on me. It sounds like you're on the right track. Keep up the good work.
  • Winston817
    Winston817 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    Hi ...well I'll be the big 5 0 this August 17. Lost 53 pounds and 4 years later still off. Feel free to add. Good luck!
  • nosekids8840
    nosekids8840 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I'm with you on a couple counts...I ALSO will turn 50 seven months from today!!!!! I had some weight sneak back on over the last year or so, even though I was active. I'm back on track, down 15 so far. So I'm back at my old target weight. Thinking I might go another 5 for sure, possibly 10. I run now, love that I have the stamina for it, I'm a 2nd degree kenpo black belt instructor and I bellydance. Yes, I know...eclectic mix! Logging food & exercise are the keys for me to succeed
  • thegreatcanook
    thegreatcanook Posts: 2,419 Member
    Options
    Work hard. You can do it!!
  • deanrun
    deanrun Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Brian,

I'll be 55 in a little over a month and only started January of 2013. Lost 75 Lbs so far and want to loose another 25. It can be done at any age. Keep moving and eating right. Feel free to add me!
  • hearthwood
    hearthwood Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    It's great you're taking this on at your young age. I am older and have been successful by logging in everyday. There's nothing like losing weight and working out, that makes you feel decades younger. They say that working out 3 to 4 times a week takes 10 to 15 years off of your physical age. That's true, just keep going!
  • kwantlen2051
    kwantlen2051 Posts: 455 Member
    Options
    Your trainer is right, someone at my gym said once, "you gain strength in the gym and lose weight in the kitchen." indeed calories in must be less than calories out in order to lose the weight! Good luck on your journey!
  • DaughterOfTheMostHighKing
    Options
    Hiya!!! I will be 50 in January and I want to lose 20 pound by then! Like Brian I gain muscle as I lose fat and the scale goes the other way… :P