Where do I get my fiber???

Options
I bought Fiber One bars, but still only getting 10g of fiber today... Do i really need 25g of fiber???? Where can i find fiber?

Replies

• IlluminatedMayhem
    Options
    I don't meet mine most days either. Its one of the things I'm trying to work on.
  • mathmatt
    mathmatt Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Beans, Fruits and Veggies
  • MaidensAndMonsters
    Options
    I do find fiber to really help with my loss and "keep the plumbing in order". I get a lot in quest bars and also fruits and veggies :) I don't advocate quest bars in place of "real food"....but they really help.
  • Byrdsong1920
    Byrdsong1920 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Lots of greens....flax seed in your smoothies, or shake chicken in it with seasonings and bake, very good! Cook crispy, it's like fried chicken!

Also, brown rice and oatmeal! Peas, beans, broccoli! Steam your veggies when you can....preserves nutrients! Checkout this link: http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-living/nutrition-and-healthy-eating/in-depth/high-fiber-foods/art-20050948?footprints=mine

Good luck
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    Raspberries! Broccoli, other green veg. I also put benefiber in my morning coffee, lol
  • 6ftamazon
    6ftamazon Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    I usually get 40g a day easily through fruits and vegetables, oats, whole grains, etc. and as much as 60g if I have lentils.
  • whovian67
    whovian67 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    vegetab;les & oatmeal..chia seeds, cacao powder, flax seeds, legumes/beans
  • ttcbelieve
    ttcbelieve Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Green peas
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Quest Bars have about 18g of fiber along with about 20-21g of protein.

Otherwise, I use benefiber and fiber gummies to help me get to my 25g a day.
  • mathandcats
    mathandcats Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    I'm always way over on my fiber, mostly from sprouted grain breads (I like Silver Hills brand), beans, vegetables, fruits, and cereal.

Your diary isn't open, but if you are eating lots of processed foods, those tend to be much lower in fiber than whole foods, unless they are being marketed as a high fiber food. If this applies, try replacing some.
  • SmartAlec03211988
    SmartAlec03211988 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    It's pretty easy, I get 35 grams of fiber per day from ezekiel bread, beans (from chili), and green peas (about 2 1/2 cups).
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    It's pretty easy if you eat whole foods. Whole fruits, veggies, whole grains, beans....you don't need supplements or Fiber One bars (aka fart bars...I can't handle the chicory root)....but don't try to increase your fiber too much too soon. Do this gradually.

There are 2 type of fiber.....soluble & insoluble. They serve different functions. If you get "backed up"......fat, water, and exercise help keep things moving.

http://www.webmd.com/diet/fiber-health-benefits-11/insoluble-soluble-fiber
  • amandalc980
    amandalc980 Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    I do brown rice, but only 1/4 cup with my lunch a day, and veggies. I'm going to add beans to more dinner meals though. Thank you for the advice, i have a lot of good bits to pick from here!!
  • frances_bacon
    frances_bacon Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Try psyllium husks, they're quite good.
  • Hell_Flower
    Hell_Flower Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Fruits and veggies.

Dried figs move things along nicely.