Best way to weigh your food

Options
2»

Replies

• christullos
    Options
    I also wondered this, and if scales are always accurate. Is there a brand of scale that's more accurate? Is it better to use grams or pounds depending on the food type?

Good question! I have two different scales and they are slightly off of each other. I would like to know also what food scale people use.

Go to Amazon and order a 50 gram weight and use it to calibrate your scale.
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    I also wondered this, and if scales are always accurate. Is there a brand of scale that's more accurate? Is it better to use grams or pounds depending on the food type?

Good question! I have two different scales and they are slightly off of each other. I would like to know also what food scale people use.

Get a digital scale and stick with it. Doesn't matter which one. Get what you can afford that can measure ounces and grams. Weigh, track, record, wash, rinse, repeat.

Everything, food scales, heart rate monitors, bathroom scales, what the cardio machines say, fitbit, whatever...they are all best guesses. Some are more accurate than others, but don't spend all your time jumping from this scale or calorie burn trackers to that one. Find something you like, use it for a while, track your progress and if the need arises, make adjustments where needed. Normally your adjustments to calories or exercise will be easiest.
  • mtruitt01
    mtruitt01 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    I bought a i5000 from Amazon and am very happy with it. it has a tare button and different modes.
  • JennaD075
    JennaD075 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I like my digital scale. It has the tare and does grams or ounces. That is good advice to just stick to the one you like. I do that with my weight scale makes sense to do that with my food scale.
  • aggieali04
    aggieali04 Posts: 6 Member
    Options

A US Nickel weighs 5 grams. Throw on a bunch of nickels to calibrate (I do 10 just to have a round 50 grams).
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    Options
    I switch between grams aND ounces. I think grams are a more precise measurement. I've always preferred metrics.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    What is the best way to weigh your food when using a food scale? I use it with the ounces but I just read on another topic that someone said this is not the way to weigh your food. I'm confused. Please explain how I should be weighing my food. Thanks!

Use a digital scale.
    You'll also want to use grams.
  • JennaD075
    Options

A US Nickel weighs 5 grams. Throw on a bunch of nickels to calibrate (I do 10 just to have a round 50 grams).

Thank you! I will try this.
  • NancyN795
    NancyN795 Posts: 1,134 Member
    Options
    I have an Oxo. It is simple and works well. Here are some features I find essential (or at least, nice to have):

1) The ability to weigh negative amounts. This is absolutely a must have. I had a scale once that reset to zero every time the weight went negative. I HATED that scale!
    2) The ability to switch between English (lbs, oz) and metric (grams, kgs) with the push of a button. My first digital scale required picking it up to flip a switch on the bottom. Inconvenient. (But at least it would weigh negative amounts.)
    3) Ability to arrange things so you can read the display even when weighing large, irregularly shaped objects. On my current scale, the display pulls out. It also has a backlight you can turn on, but I rarely use that.
    4) Ease of cleaning. A food scale should be designed for this, but it is worth considering if all the other criteria are met.
  • JennaD075
    Options
    I have an Oxo. It is simple and works well. Here are some features I find essential (or at least, nice to have):

1) The ability to weigh negative amounts. This is absolutely a must have. I had a scale once that reset to zero every time the weight went negative. I HATED that scale!
    2) The ability to switch between English (lbs, oz) and metric (grams, kgs) with the push of a button. My first digital scale required picking it up to flip a switch on the bottom. Inconvenient. (But at least it would weigh negative amounts.)
    3) Ability to arrange things so you can read the display even when weighing large, irregularly shaped objects. On my current scale, the display pulls out. It also has a backlight you can turn on, but I rarely use that.
    4) Ease of cleaning. A food scale should be designed for this, but it is worth considering if all the other criteria are met.

Thanks Nancy a couple of the items you listed are pet peeve's on my current scale. Maybe I will look at getting a new one. Thanks!