Help! Pasta servings

Options
Hope someone can help me with this. I bought Whole Foods brand organic whole wheat fusilli and it is 200 calories for one cup dry. Does that mean it is 2 cups/serving cooked?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Replies

• MobiusMan
    MobiusMan Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    roughly 1.5c
  • MobiusMan
    MobiusMan Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    I've been making my own pasta. it's easy and i completely control whats in it. you have never had pasta until you have had it fresh.
  • RMinVA
    RMinVA Posts: 1,085 Member
    Options
    Hope someone can help me with this. I bought Whole Foods brand organic whole wheat fusilli and it is 200 calories for one cup dry. Does that mean it is 2 cups/serving cooked?

Thanks in advance for your help.

You might want to double check your nutrition label. As a rule of thumb, one cup of cooked pasta usually has between 180-200 cals.

Most packages these days are around 14 oz and have approx 7 servings per package (2 oz dry per serving). I have a couple of different types of whole grain pasta in my cabinet and I took a look @ the nutrition labels. They all say the same thing: 2 oz dry (which would be about 1 cup cooked) as a serving size and between 180-200 cals per serving.
  • hsnider29
    hsnider29 Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    No I double checked. It said 1 cup dry equals 200 calories.
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    Fusilli is not very dense. And the size doesn't change much after cooking. That is entirely possible. Keep in mind, the pasta shapes have a higher volume than a long pasta like spaghetti.
  • RMinVA
    RMinVA Posts: 1,085 Member
    Options
    Fusilli is not very dense. And the size doesn't change much after cooking. That is entirely possible. Keep in mind, the pasta shapes have a higher volume than a long pasta like spaghetti.

I compared spaghetti to rotini, same info. As a rule of thumb, pastas double in size when cooked. Found this on line:

4 ounces of uncooked pasta (elbow macaroni, shells, rotini, cavatelli, wheels, penne, fusilli, or ziti) = 1 cup dried pasta = 2 1/2 cups cooked pasta.

4 ounces of uncooked pasta (spaghetti, angel hair, vermicelli, fettuccine or linguine) = a 1-inch diameter bunch of dry pasta = 2 cups cooked pasta.
  • hsnider29
    hsnider29 Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    Thanks everybody! I had looked online and had pretty much read the same thing about pasta doubling in size but it seemed like so much when I dished it out that I was worried. I think I'm gonna buy that from now on since it seems lke I get to eat more than when I eat spaghetti noodles.
  • chrish1981
    Options

They all say the same thing: 2 oz dry (which would be about 1 cup cooked) as a serving size and between 180-200 cals per serving.

That's reassuring, because I was trying to do the conversions the other night (TOTALLY not a math girl!) and I kept reading that 2 oz was equivalent to .25 cup. So I was like, "What's the point?" and made some beans instead.

So if I make 2 oz dry, that's a cup cooked??
  • Jalfie
    Jalfie Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    If it says 200 cals then the cals stay the same wether cooked or dry..The only thing changing is that it's absorbed water!
  • Serenifly
    Serenifly Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    I recently switched to SPAGHETTI SQUASH to replace Pasta

Cooked w/o salt

Serving Size 1 cup (155g)
    Calories 42
    Total Fat 0g 0%
    Saturated Fat 0g 0%
    Cholesterol 0mg 0%
    Sodium 28mg 1%
    Total Carbohydrates 10g 3%
    Dietary Fiber 2g
    Sugars 4g
    Protein 1g

It is WAY yummier than noodles. I am having it tonight with Ground Chicken Breast and pasta sauce :)