Low Carb Diet? (lebron james been doing it this offseason)

Options
Anyone been through a low carb diet plan? How were the results for you? was it very difficult to sustain the weight loss? Lebron James is on the low carb diet this offseason in preparing for his return back home to Cleveland ...that diet seems to have worked for him

Also any idea how many net carbs you should be intaking per day on a low carb diet?

I started to eat the quest bars for my snacks so I have definitely been cutting my carbs in hopes of getting in ripped boxing shape but I dont know how many carbs I should be have per day.

Share your opinions/stories

Thanks

Replies

• Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    When I'm a kid again, turn male and I participate in professional sporting events, I will consider Lebron's diet.

Until then I'll do my thing and he can do his. :)
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    You want to cut carbs to get into boxing shape? Yea that makes sense...

wetpuml.gif
  • Boxing987
    Boxing987 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    ^^^^put it into 2 phases, first trying to get ripped then will work on building lean muscle, i know its prob better to do both at same time but it is what it is
  • Boxing987
    Options
    the lebron james part is just an aside note not meant to say because it worked for him it is the right thing to do but more to show that even top level athletes use these methods
  • AJ_G
    Options
    There's no point to low carb. If you cut carbs it will be harder to train while you lose weight. Just cut calories, eat plenty of protein and fat, but eat carbs too. Keep it balanced. Lebron shouldn't be cutting carbs, it's a terrible idea. Idk who his nutritionist is, but he should get a new one.

Set a weight loss calorie goal first.

Set protein goal to 0.82g per lb of body weight
    Set fat goal to 0.4g per lb of body weight
    Fill remaining calories with carbs

The End
  • shaumom
    shaumom Posts: 1,003 Member
    Options
    I'm on a low carb diet due to a medical issue and my experience is this:
    1. I definitely lost weight, quickly. Although I don't eat dairy or processed foods, so I'm sure that makes a difference.
    2. The couple times I was able to add carbs back in...the weight shot up. Dropped again once I had to go back on the low carb diet.

Make from that what ya will. :-)
  • Boxing987
    Options
    im definitely loading up on protein, eating more protein than usual through lean meats and protein shakes/ quest bars.

yeah lebrons recent pics in toronto people said he looks "unhealthy" by the amount of weight he lost but he has the best world-class nutritionists guiding him so who is anyone to question his training/diet regimen
  • AJ_G
    Options
    im definitely loading up on protein, eating more protein than usual through lean meats and protein shakes/ quest bars.

yeah lebrons recent pics in toronto people said he looks "unhealthy" by the amount of weight he lost but he has the best world-class nutritionists guiding him so who is anyone to question his training/diet regimen

Science...science can question his nutrition plan. A low carb diet is NEVER the optimal diet for any type of athlete EVER. A low carb diet DOES NOT generate faster FAT LOSS than an equal calorie intake balanced diet. There may be more WEIGHT LOSS initially but a great deal of that is water weight and therefore irrelevant. A low carb diet depletes glycogen stores. Glycogen is the body's preferred fuel source for high intensity exercise. An athlete needs glycogen to be effective when training. There is absolutely zero advantage to a low carb diet unless you need to be on one for medical reasons.
  • PrimalSasha
    Options
    If your into training, check out Peter Attia and do research on low carb athletes, Phinney and Volek, etc. Don't just accept everything people spew on this site.

http://eatingacademy.com/
  • AJ_G
    Options
    If your into training, check out Peter Attia and do research on low carb athletes, Phinney and Volek, etc. Don't just accept everything people spew on this site.

http://eatingacademy.com/

No one said it's IMPOSSIBLE to train on a low carb diet, but it is absolutely not OPTIMAL.

and what exactly did I "spew" that was inaccurate?
  • wolf_tickets
    wolf_tickets Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    No way Lebron could seriously compete at top level on a low carb diet. He would have very limited endurance without the carbs to produce enough glycogen. But the season doesn't start until October. As soon as he starts eating the necessary carbs again the weight will come back quickly and he'll have lose the weight (or not) the "old fashioned" way. We shall see.
  • Boxing987
    Options
    ^^^ check this out: http://www.bornfitness.com/im-coming-home-carbs/

from what I read from other articles as well he states he was doing the low carb diet not sure if he is going to maintain this or if hes going to gain it back when it comes closer to the season, I guess he is trying to lose weight so its not as big a toll on his body from the vigors of the season....they are also saying he is not going to playing much in the paint (with the soon to be acquisition of kevin love) so he doesnt need all the bulk which could affect his longevity.

As the above poster said not sure if this slimmed down version of lebron will last.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    As a top athlete, he is has a team of medical advisors. Most likely the press is doing some sloppy reporting.
  • agrasso88
    agrasso88 Posts: 33 Member
    Options

Science...science can question his nutrition plan. A low carb diet is NEVER the optimal diet for any type of athlete EVER. A low carb diet DOES NOT generate faster FAT LOSS than an equal calorie intake balanced diet. There may be more WEIGHT LOSS initially but a great deal of that is water weight and therefore irrelevant. A low carb diet depletes glycogen stores. Glycogen is the body's preferred fuel source for high intensity exercise. An athlete needs glycogen to be effective when training. There is absolutely zero advantage to a low carb diet unless you need to be on one for medical reasons.
    This is bro science.
  • Boxing987
    Options
    i think low carb diet was said by lebron himself when he explained his new pics
  • DR2501
    DR2501 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    You're probably asking this question on the wrong forum in fairness, people on here want to count calories, lose weight steadily and enjoy every type of food (including carbs) whilst doing so. There are other forums (including boxing specific ones) where you will get an answer to your question from people that have first-hand experience of how it has affected their boxing training.

Not saying one way is right and the other wrong, just saying speak to people in the same position as you that have tried the diet you mention whilst training for boxing specifically.
  • Goofyrunnergirl
    Options
    You're probably asking this question on the wrong forum in fairness, people on here want to count calories, lose weight steadily and enjoy every type of food (including carbs) whilst doing so. There are other forums (including boxing specific ones) where you will get an answer to your question from people that have first-hand experience of how it has affected their boxing training.

Not saying one way is right and the other wrong, just saying speak to people in the same position as you that have tried the diet you mention whilst training for boxing specifically.

This.

If you are interested in learning more about low carb, you could check out a couple of subreddits on Reddit. The Keto and Ketogains subreddits could provide you with more information (make sure to read the FAQ on the side of the page). Note: "Most" people on Keto keep their carbs to 20 Net grams per day (that seems to "guarantee" getting and staying in Ketosis). Not saying you have to go that low with your carbs, just trying to give you a place with good information along with like-minded people.
    http://www.reddit.com/r/keto/
    http://www.reddit.com/r/ketogains/
  • thinpip
    thinpip Posts: 33
    Options
    I am low carbing and it definitely works for me ! I aim to have no more than 35g carbs per day.
  • Boxing987
    Options
    im trying low carb diet but i eat subway a lot, im guessing it is tons of carbs in those 6 inch sandwiches?
  • cdn_beaver
    cdn_beaver Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Subway has salads. And yes, I believe a 6 inch has about 40ish carbs in just the bread.
    Someone earlier suggest you look into Reddit's ketogains subreddit. There are plenty of people who eat keto while training.