muscle loss, because i'm stupid.

Options
2»

Replies

• mariaeli93
    mariaeli93 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    The more cardio you do the harder the work outs etc the more calories you must consume. I don't know the ratios but it is the fuel to get through the sessions. They say to alternate with cardio and strength training 3 days on two days off. Some good toning can be achieved with yoga. Walking. Pilates. Or you can do pushups. Side planks. Situps. I did the slim in 6 videos and thats a mix of strenth and cardio. Body bands are good and cheap start with the smallest tube and gradually challenge yourself to harder bands. There are lots of exercises u can do at home just look up strength training on youtube. You can use cans you can use bottles of water as weights then gallons of water. Then 5 gallon buckets. You can use chairs for differnt depths or step ups. Stairs at home. Counters walls for a sitting squat or whatever its called. Fill socks with sand and tie or velcro around legs or wrists for weights. So many ideas out there just google it.

sooo creative, thanks! I'm surely gonna alternate now. i will do my research :D
  • Jennilyn79
    Jennilyn79 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    so then, how much cardio (how long of a session) do you do? and the lifting, how long is okay? I'm planning to get some small things here and there to help me with the work out, but of course ultimately it would be best to go to a gym, too bad there isn't any near by :/

I do 30-60 minutes of cardio that I enjoy 3 days a week. My workouts are different now than they used to be bc I find I don't enjoy working out 6 days a week, I like to work out a total of 4-5 days a week. I do Heavy lifting twice a week (used to do it three days a week) because I find my strength workouts are more effective on my days off in the morning. I'll lift sunday, off monday, bike outside or spinning Tuesday, trail run Wednesday, lift Thursday, off Friday, kickboxing Saturday. I mix up the biking and running sometimes with dance or power yoga or bootcamp or hiking. Basically I like variety and all of the cardio activities I do I really enjoy. I like to take active vacations so I need to keep my endurance and training up in those activities. Sometimes I do HIIT in place of cardio, its easy to youtube those videos if you want to stay at home. I do believe in more interval training for fat loss rather than steady state full out cardio the whole time.

As far as strength goes, I read a lot about heavy lifting here and on bodybuilding.com and books/articles. It needs to be challenging, people often challenge themselves with cardio so that they're out of breath and profusely sweating. You need to challenge yourself every week just like that with strength. It should be hard and it should increase every week. Just pumping out the same number of reps at the same weight every week won't change anything. I used to do this weight class before heavy lifting and would use basically the same weights every week, my muscles were tired by the end of the 30 reps of course because they were fatigued but it didn't change my muscle mass or shape. And you won't bulk up. Everyone is so afraid of that lol, like they think overnight they'll go from no muscle to body builder.