Why do my feet fall asleep when I exercise???

Options
2»

Replies

• LJ0125
    LJ0125 Posts: 89
    Options
    I have this same problem. I have bought 3 different pairs of shoes and it still happens. It always begins in my baby toe...poor little guy.
  • LotusF1ower
    LotusF1ower Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    I have a potassium deficiency and I know that's part of it, but my feet go completely numb after 30 minutes on the elliptical or stationary bike and take about an hour to get all of the sensation back once I stop exercising. They go numb when I go for long walks outside too, but not as quickly. I can swim and do water aerobics without problems. It's just exercise that keeps me upright.

I have good, comfortable shoes, drink lots of water, eat plenty of nutritious foods, try to keep my potassium levels from getting too low (my body doesn't absorb potassium properly, so I eat high potassium foods and take potassium supplements), but I'm getting tired of my feet going numb all the time, especially because it means I can't go longer than a half an hour on the machines at the gym.

Does anyone else have this issue and, if so, what have you done about it?

When I did my back in a year ago, I asked the Chiropractor what was the best way to lay down to sleep, was it on my back? was it on the hard floor? etc etc. His answer was to lay the way that was the most comfortable and the way that was the least painful.

I would give the same advice to you, do the exercise which gives you the least problems with cramp or dead feet problems, ie swimming and water aerobics. Swimming can use up 600 calories for an hour's worth of breaststroke swimming - excellent exercise.

No need to advise you on potassium rich foods and the supplements, you will know more about that than I anyway as you have had to deal with it for a while.

Just do what feels the most comfortable, God knows you have enough to deal with there, without having to struggle to merely do your exercise without cramps or dead legs and feet
  • stephaniev07
    stephaniev07 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    sorry to bring up an old subject but I was trying to see if any of you found out any new info on the foot going numb? My right foot goes numb when I walk after about 15 to 20 mins if i slow down walking the numbness subsides if I stop walking it goes away. it's only my right foot.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    Unlike running or walking, your feet keep constant contact on the pedals on the the elliptical and bike. The constant pressure with no let up is like laying down on top of your arm. You will feel your arm fall asleep and the same happens with your feet. The ball of your foot will take most of the pressure. Try lifting your feet off the pedals occasionally or pushing off your heels.
    This is NOT and uncommon problem on the elliptical or bike.
  • stephaniev07
    stephaniev07 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Unlike running or walking, your feet keep constant contact on the pedals on the the elliptical and bike. The constant pressure with no let up is like laying down on top of your arm. You will feel your arm fall asleep and the same happens with your feet. The ball of your foot will take most of the pressure. Try lifting your feet off the pedals occasionally or pushing off your heels.
    This is NOT and uncommon problem on the elliptical or bike.

Thanks for replying but my problem isn't with excersize equipment as I don't have any and I don't go to they gym. I simply fast walk/ jog slow on the road. Even road no hills just suburban housing area. Only my right foot goes numb. Thanks sorry I didn't clarify.