Skimmed milk

Who else loves skimmed milk or am I the only one? I've been drinking it for at least half a year now and I'm so used to the milk I cannot stomach the full fat one and I'm not really keen on the semi-skimmed either. I've never really been that much of a milky person but I do love coffee so I thought I would try skimmed milk and I loved it and now it's the only milk I will have. Unfortunately they don't sell them in most corner shops so I usually have to go to a large supermarket to get some. I guess they don't sell as much as the other milk. But if you love tea and coffee and drink a few cups of them a day, I really recommend skimmed milk, you may not like it that much at first but you soon get used to it :smile: :drinker:

Replies

• leahraskie
    leahraskie Posts: 260 Member
    I've always drank skim milk, that's what my mom had and my grandma only had soy, I grew up on a weird semi-vegetarian lifestyle now that I look back, for my age. Even 1 or 2% on cereal makes me gag now, it's so thick and not good.
  • I've been drinking skimmed milk for 17 years now and find any other milk too creamy, although I do like the 1% milk that you can get now so you are not alone likng skimmed milk
  • FatJockSing
    FatJockSing Posts: 164 Member
    Skimmed for shakes
    Semi skimmed for cereals and coffee
    Full fat for Hot Choclcate . .. .. . .
  • Hell_Flower
    Hell_Flower Posts: 348 Member
    Skimmed for shakes
    Semi skimmed for cereals and coffee
    Full fat for Hot Choclcate . .. .. . .

QFT
  • jtm4210
    jtm4210 Posts: 108 Member
    I like skimmed milk in tea, semi skimmed milk on its own, full fat milk (unhomogenised for extra creaminess!) in coffee/hot chocolate and almond milk in protein shakes.

Horses for courses...
  • CherylMatthews66
    CherylMatthews66 Posts: 44 Member
    Yay, I'm glad I'm not the only one then. All my family think I'm weird for drinking it but I really like it. The full fat milk really turns my stomach now so I refuse to touch the stuff. I don't know what most people have against skimmed milk lol.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,243 Member
    I swapped to skimmed milk and I use it in coffee and sometimes drink it straight. I prefer it to full cream now which seems too thick and creamy to me now.
  • CherylMatthews66
    CherylMatthews66 Posts: 44 Member
    Yeah you don't realise how thick and creamy the full fat milk is until you've drank skimmed for quite a while.
  • janatarnhem
    janatarnhem Posts: 669 Member
    Skimmed here too! Drank it for years, as lower calories than semi!
  • JenniDaisy
    JenniDaisy Posts: 526 Member
    Nothing but whole milk for me, I just can't stomach skimmed at all.

Whole milk is only 4% fat anyway, So I guess it's just preference.
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    I only do skim myself.

My kids will drink it....
    But they prefer whole milk.

My sons call it "thick" milk. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • _SoundWave_
    _SoundWave_ Posts: 237 Member
    I love skimmed milk , but also finding that I'm loving Hazelnut and Almond Mind to mix my shakes with, really tasty and very low calorie.
  • LiftAndBalance
    LiftAndBalance Posts: 960 Member
    I don't know what most people have against skimmed milk lol.

It's too thin and simply doesn't taste like milk at all. To me it's just coloured water (yes, with some protein and nutrients but still not milk).
    Yeah you don't realise how thick and creamy the full fat milk is until you've drank skimmed for quite a while.

In order words, how yummy full fat milk is, and how thin and tasteless skimmed.

You see, it's all in the eyes of the beholder ;)
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    I used skim milk for years but when Hubs and I moved in together, he wasn't having it so I had to compromise and go with 1%. A few years ago, I finally acknowledge my slight dairy intolerance so these days we only keep 1/2 & 1/2 (for him) and unsweetened almond milk (for me) in the fridge for our coffee and cooking. I only buy dairy milk a few times a year if certain recipes call for it.
  • CharleePear
    CharleePear Posts: 1,948 Member
    I get reduced fat milk...I have no idea the % we don't go by that here. But it's one grade down from whole
    The more skimmed it is, the more processed it is, the less it goodness it has for the body. Better yet would be raw milk, but I don't have a tonne of milk, for my shakes I have almond milk and water.
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    I like 1%, its creamier than fat free "skim milk" but lower in fats than whole milk or 2%. Whole milk tastes like heavy cream to me now.
  • accelerashawn
    accelerashawn Posts: 470 Member
    I love all milk. When i'm hot and need something refreshing...skim milk. When i'm hungry and dont want to eat anything...whole milk...

There is a time and place for all milk and I don't discriminate...I even tried my wife's home made milk and it was sugary and delicious! :tongue:
  • cosmiqrust
    cosmiqrust Posts: 214 Member
    i can't stomach anything but skim by itself. milk fat has this weird flavor to me that's made me gag since i was three. if you gave me a latte or something and told me it was skim when it was full fat i probably wouldn't notice, but i might fling it in your face if i found out.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Yay, I'm glad I'm not the only one then. All my family think I'm weird for drinking it but I really like it. The full fat milk really turns my stomach now so I refuse to touch the stuff. I don't know what most people have against skimmed milk lol.

probably the same thing you have against full fat milk...

personally i think its each to their own.
  • willnorton
    willnorton Posts: 995 Member
    Skim milk is produced on mass farms where cattle are held in small cells and not allowed to move around freely. Basically their entire life is eating and creating milk. They develop sores and infections from their stationary life and are treated with strong antibiotics, but let's face it, the cows can not move around so their chances of fighting infection are very slim. The solution? More antibiotics, of course.

The Contents
    The actual contents of this "milk" will surprise you. Among many other things, GMOs, antibiotics, and body fluids can easily be located in skim milk. Because of the infections caused by their sedentary life style and sores caused by constant milking, the cows need antibiotics to heal and produce milk. Also, cows are meant to eat grass, and wild feed. When they are fed corn, which is used on many of these "farms" they become ill, and more antibiotics are needed.

Products from open sores are able to make their way into the milk easily. The FDA does regulate what goes into the milk, but via their rules, 750,000 puss cells are allowed to be in each quart of milk, and it is easy to amount to that when you have cows living in these conditions.

Also, the FDA guidelines restrict the type of injections that the cows get. They do not vent this on every carton of milk though. Their rules allow injections of recombinant bovine growth hormones, a known carcinogen that is banned in every country except the U.S. This is used to stimulate milk production, but at what cost?
  • cosmiqrust
    cosmiqrust Posts: 214 Member
    found the vegan.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    found the vegan.

:laugh:
  • FatJockSing
    FatJockSing Posts: 164 Member
    Skim milk is produced on mass farms where cattle are held in small cells and not allowed to move around freely. Basically their entire life is eating and creating milk. They develop sores and infections from their stationary life and are treated with strong antibiotics, but let's face it, the cows can not move around so their chances of fighting infection are very slim. The solution? More antibiotics, of course.

The Contents
    The actual contents of this "milk" will surprise you. Among many other things, GMOs, antibiotics, and body fluids can easily be located in skim milk. Because of the infections caused by their sedentary life style and sores caused by constant milking, the cows need antibiotics to heal and produce milk. Also, cows are meant to eat grass, and wild feed. When they are fed corn, which is used on many of these "farms" they become ill, and more antibiotics are needed.

Products from open sores are able to make their way into the milk easily. The FDA does regulate what goes into the milk, but via their rules, 750,000 puss cells are allowed to be in each quart of milk, and it is easy to amount to that when you have cows living in these conditions.

Also, the FDA guidelines restrict the type of injections that the cows get. They do not vent this on every carton of milk though. Their rules allow injections of recombinant bovine growth hormones, a known carcinogen that is banned in every country except the U.S. This is used to stimulate milk production, but at what cost?

^^^^
    And you reckon this is ONLY applicable to skimmed milk?? This is the first time I have ever heard that different cows are used for produsing different kinds of milk - and that the differences are related to how they ar 'Kept".

And just for info - a lot of family are/were farmers. :drinker: :bigsmile:
  • scb515
    scb515 Posts: 133 Member
    Semi-skimmed for me. Sometimes I'll have skimmed with my cereal, but then equally, there are times where I go, "Sod it - I'm only saving 20 calories and skimmed milk is not nice!" If you drink milk in your tea, it does all add up. Well done for finding a calorie saving which works for you! :)