How to get more protein for a veggie?

Options
dazwan
dazwan Posts: 81 Member
Hi, does anyone have any advice on how to get more protein into my diet? I'm currently looking at about 10% of my diet being protein. The other 10% that MFP app reckons I should be getting appears to be all going on carbs (so the fat isn't an issue).

I'm vegetarian, but do eat dairy, so eggs are ok but I am lactose intolerant, so can't overdo it on the milk. I don't want to be downing 6 eggs a day just to get a decent proportion of my diet to be protein.

My typical diet is a cardboard sandwich from the supermarket and a salad for lunch and whatever is available when I get home. I do have a couple of chocolate milkshakes after my commute both ways (for recovery).

Other than that, I occasionally cook something with chickpeas or kidney beans, but most nights it seems to be chips and egg as I'm usually too tired after a 25mile round trip commute by bike to hang around whipping up something nice. I have considered buying a shed load of protein bars, but most of these seem to either resemble a bar of balsa wood or squished, chocolate coated (dried) turds, I guess its something you get used to after a while.

Replies

• leahraskie
    leahraskie Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Protein shakes mixed with water?

They kind of have a weird consistency but they are a bit better when frozen.
  • MouseFood
    MouseFood Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Hummus! Throw it in a wholemeal wrap :)

Also, put things like this in your salads: almonds, cashews, sunflower seeds, feta cheese

Quorn products or other meat substitutes
  • Meredith8684
    Meredith8684 Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    Add a scoop of chocolate protein powder to your chocolate milkshake. Mine have 24g of protein per scoop, and taste delicious!

Also, tofu is pretty protein-y. Black beans would taste delicious with your eggs.
  • dazwan
    Options
    I love hummus, we go through phases and at times a staple in our house is pitta breads with a good dollop of hummus and a bit of salad (read: sliced cucumber :smile: ). Quick and easy to make and fills you up, I always worry about the fat content in the hummus though, I guess it gets offset by the salad to a degree.

I like pakora and falafel as well, but often its what I have with them that makes them bad for me (falafel dipped in hummus!).

Must eat more feta, we rarely add it to the shopping list and I don't know why!
  • dazwan
    Options
    Must say I already have Tofu and quorn products, it just seems that I struggle to reach 20%. On a good day about 15% of my diet will be protein.

Maybe I need to start looking at powders to just give me a boost. I like the idea of adding it to shakes
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    What's wrong wth fat?
  • dazwan
    Options
    What's wrong wth fat?

I've already got waaaay too much of it.
  • coral_b
    coral_b Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    The brand "Food doctor" have seeded pitas, pretty good for protein. Try Greek yogurt. I cant have milk, but am fine with that. Also, add liquid egg whites to bulk up protein but using less eggs. Nuts, which also help good fats. Cheese snacks like baby bell. Oats with almond or soy milk. Chia seeds added to smoothies. Make banana bread with protein powder ( loads of recipes online). Lentils are good too. X
  • beckathaa
    beckathaa Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    My best veggie options for protein come from beans and rice, tempeh, quinoa, hummus, and types of sauces I make.
    Try making a batch of Yumm sauce and adding it to rice, beans and veggie bowl.
    http://thecoconutmama.com/2011/03/yumm-sauce-2/
  • callas444
    callas444 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Quest bars are an awesome protein source (20 grams). I like cookies and cream, cookie dough, and almond coconut so far. You have to get them at the vitamin stores or GNC (or online). I heard that if you contact them they will send you samples of some flavors to try.

One quick dinner you might try- get those meat free crumbles they sell in the frozen section and turn them into tacos. With the taco seasoning packets it is super quick, less than 10 minutes. You can do taco salad or put it on a wrap. Yum!
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    What's wrong wth fat?

I've already got waaaay too much of it.

Is not fat that makes you fat actually.
    Plenty people here doing very well on higher fat diets. Good fats are very satiating and can help with appetite regulation.
    I would not worry about fat, if it comes from such things as nuts, seeds, avocado, eggs, healthy oils, fish etc.

That said, seitan is a very good source of protein, as are Greek yoghurt and cottage cheese. Nuts, seeds and beans, obviously. There are also some natural bars called 9 bars and Pulsin raw protein bars that are sold at holland and barrett that have around 11-12g per bar. (For UK people, USA people have Quest bars, but I am sure they also sell some sort of seed based bar there too) Lentils are brilliant too of course, can be pre-cooked and maybe made into a salad. I do not think having egg and chips every night is a good idea. It would not take long to microwave some steam bags of veggies and throw a nut cutlet and sweet potato or somesuch in the oven for 30 mins. Heck, you can even microwave sweet potatoes. Or get a slow cooker and throw together a lentil stew at the weekend and freeze portions of it.
  • AliveAgain1960
    Options
    What's wrong wth fat?

Troll's gonna troll :yawn:
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,375 Member
    Options
    I buy cartons of egg whites and make an omelet with 3/4 cup of egg whites, one egg, veggies and low fat cheese, that's 3c/18f/34p. Sometimes I'll put seitan in it. I actually had a salad with leftover seitan last night. It was really good. I'm not vegetarian, but I eat a lot of vegetarian meals. I eat veggie burgers a lot, mostly Morningstar Farms Grillers Prime (17g of protein). Lots of cottage cheese and Greek yogurt.

Edited because spelling is hard.
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,302 Member
    Options
    A girl said she recognized me from the vegetarian club; but I never met herbivore.

Stay all week and try the veal(protein)
  • SydNyd
    SydNyd Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Chia pudding- (1:3 of chia seeds to almond or coconut milk; add maple syrup to taste, shake it up, refridgerate overnight, and eat garnished with bananas and nuts)

Raw vegan pie- (blend walnuts until they turn into crumbly powder; mix in maple syrup with your fingers, form into a crust shape, and add desired fruit, such as cinnamon apples, peaches, or mango)

Farro
    Veggie burgers
    Any nuts, especially walnuts and brazil nuts
    Coconut flesh
    Avocados
    Beans of any shape or form
    tofu
    Tempeh
    Sprouted bread
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    Options
    A girl said she recognized me from the vegetarian club; but I never met herbivore.

:laugh:
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,302 Member
    Options

*MUAH*
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    Options

*MUAH*

:smooched:
  • nesto610
    nesto610 Posts: 107
    Options
    Protein shakes mixed with water?

They kind of have a weird consistency but they are a bit better when frozen.

I mix mine with almond milk and it tastes WAY better.
  • Mangopickle
    Mangopickle Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    Quinoa cooks in 12 min. Top with onions,garlic and kale sautéed in ghee, sprinkle with sunflower seeds and Parmesan. That would be around 16-20 G protein a cup and a half serving
    Rajma masala curry
    Sambhar with ragi or rava idli about 20 G protein
    Split pea soup
    Brussels sprouts roasted
    Curried Mushrooms
    Bean sprouts marinated

Every one of these dishes can be made ahead of time, and you can make rava idli in the microwave now