Doing everything right but no weight loss?!

Options
I'm 5'4" and currently 134lbs, I want to shed at least 14 lbs to get to my goal weight of 120 but I just can't seem to! I seem to be doing everything right which is the most frustrating!

I create a caloric deficit

I do high intensity cardio (running at 6mph with incline for 30 mins) 4 times a week

I never eat trans fat and get most of my fat from nuts.

I eat lots of fresh fruits and vegetables

I get my protein from nonfat greek yogurt and lean proteins.

I drink plenty of water and sleep at least 7 hours.

I rarely indulge in simple carbs.

Why am I not losing any weight? I'm currently 18 so could it be because of my hormones? It's just so infuriating to see the scale never go down and sometimes even up when I work so hard! Your opinion would be appreciated! :)

Replies

• OllyJ_79
    OllyJ_79 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    How are you measuring your food and drinks to establish the calories in it?
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    Do you weigh all your solid food, log everything you eat & drink, account for cooking oils, condiments, etc.? How many calories do you consume each day?

And how long have you been at it?
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    How many calories are you eating?

^^^This, opening your diary would be helpful.

Part 2, are you 18 or 21? Your OP and profile seem to differ. :wink:
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    If you say you do everything right, you probably would have mentioned that you weighed your food first. DYEW?
  • jasonmh630
    jasonmh630 Posts: 2,850 Member
    Options
    How are you measuring your food and drinks to establish the calories in it?

+1
  • lolybear
    lolybear Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    +1 to probably not measuring your food correctly. If you're doing the workouts you say, then it's simply that you're eating too much. How are you measuring calories?
  • ZenInTexas
    ZenInTexas Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    The closer you are to a healthy body weight the harder it is to lose. You are already at a good weight so to lose any more there really isn't much room for error. You have to weigh everything to the gram and be sure you're not over estimating calories burned from exercise. If you don't have a food scale I suggest you start there.
  • DeadliftAddict
    DeadliftAddict Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'4" and currently 134lbs, I want to shed at least 14 lbs to get to my goal weight of 120 but I just can't seem to! I seem to be doing everything right which is the most frustrating

I create a caloric deficit

I do high intensity cardio (running at 6mph with incline for 30 mins) 4 times a week

I never eat trans fat and get most of my fat from nuts.

I eat lots of fresh fruits and vegetables

I get my protein from nonfat greek yogurt and lean proteins.

I drink plenty of water and sleep at least 7 hours.

I rarely indulge in simple carbs.

Why am I not losing any weight? I'm currently 18 so could it be because of my hormones? It's just so infuriating to see the scale never go down and sometimes even up when I work so hard! Your opinion would be appreciated! :)

All of the other things you do is to accomplish the first thing put down which is create a caloric deficit. If you are not losing weight you are not creating a caloric deficit. You need to weigh with a digital food scale in either grams or ounces to know accurately what you are eating. Do you even know what you need to maintain your current weight?
  • rachelrb85
    rachelrb85 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    Not sure what your calorie intake goal is set to, but make sure since you don't have much to lose it's set to something like lose .5 lbs a week for it to be a realistic goal. I'm 5'4" and was 135lbs for the longest time, eating 1200-1400 calories and losing nothing. Then I decided to calculate my TDEE and subtract 20% so increased my calories to 1500-1600. The lbs flew off like crazy and I'm down to 123 lbs. I also lift heavy to help burn the fat and maintain muscle. Make sure you are weighing, measuring and logging everything accurately. And be patient! It's not easy losing those last few pounds especially on a smaller body frame.
  • shawna48
    shawna48 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I would change up your exercise. Add weight lifting. Maybe also cycle walking (3.5ish) 30 sec, jog (6) 30 sec, sprint (8.5) 60 spec for some of your 30 minute cardio sessions. Running a consistent speed is great, but I know for me, once I added the sprint jumps in my runs, I noticed a huge difference in calorie burn and muscle exhaustion.
  • meltedsno
    meltedsno Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Also be careful about eating too many fruits. I found that was a downfall for me. I love my fruits and figured it was a healthy choice until I did the math work one day. I used to make smoothies with pineapple, strawberries, rasberries, blackberries, mandarin oranges -- sometimes bananas, apples... whatever I had... I wasn't losing and sometimes found that I was gaining and THEN realized (after joining MFP and logging) that I was really overloading on fruits caloriewise/carbwise/sugarwise.... yikes....

Since cut back to an apple a day, with an occasional rasberry or two (literally) that I pick out of the garden... has made a HUGE difference ...also used to eat a lot of carrots... love my carrots... but too much of a good thing is not so good... cut back on those also and suppliment with other vegies....

Of course, this may not work for everyone, but the truth is my body simply could not handle the amount of fruit I was consuming... still get my daily requirements in but so much better once I added a mixture of fresh vegies into the mix..
  • martinel2099
    martinel2099 Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    You can eat anything you want and it can be as "clean" or as "healthy" as you want, but if you eat at a calorie surplus you won't lose weight.

Make sure to take the guess work out of your calories and weigh everything, even peanut butter which can be drastically different measuring vs weighing in grams.

If you want to watch nutrition too then follow the flexible dieting technique IIFYM (if it fits your macros). IIFYM in addition to eating at a calorie deficit you also make sure you are getting in your recommended amounts of fats, proteins and carbs. Your body needs all 3 of these to function and yes that means fats too.