night Workout- how does it affects my weight loss..

Options
Hello,

So currently my caloric intake goal is set at 1500. On days that I work out i let it go to 1700 to eat back at least a portion of my exercise calories. Every time i work out I burn on average 900 calories. I always work out at night, usually an hour or so before bed. My situation on a workout day is this; I eat throughout the day and let it go above 1500, then after dinner i do my workout so i burn about 900 which gives me a net of about 200 calories. Now my question is how is this affecting my weight loss? I know that while working out, the body will reach for the most recent energy that hasnt been stored as extra in your body first and then when that runs out will go for the stored energy (fat). Since i have already eaten all my calories for the day does my workout only burn what i ate during the day instead of going for the stored fat? if so, how does it affect how my body burns calories while i sleep and during the next day up until my workout? Will i be burning fat then? Im just curious to see the different effect this would have on my body because if i was working out in the morning it would be the opposite. I would burn all the stored energy because i would not have any new calories eaten yet.. Does this make any sense? Anyway if anyone can maybe shed some light on the differences and how it influences the weight loss that would be great?

Thanks

Replies

• Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Options
    You're overthinking this. All that's needed to lose fat is a long-term calorie deficit. The timing of your calorie deposits & withdrawals has no long term effect on fat loss.. just like how the timing of your deposits & withdrawals at the bank doesn't affect your average daily balance over weeks & months. Makes sense? Fat loss is simple - eat right, exercise, repeat. :wink:
  • Walter__
    Walter__ Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    ^ Moose is right. Don't overthink it.

I eat whenever I want, work out whenever I want, and I've lost plenty of weight.

Seriously. Some days I'll work out at 7am; other days at 10pm. Some days I'll eat all throughout the day; other days I only eat at night. As long as you're consistently eating in a deficit and working out then you will lose weight.
  • xxval21xx
    xxval21xx Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    You're overthinking this. All that's needed to lose fat is a long-term calorie deficit. The timing of your calorie deposits & withdrawals has no long term effect on fat loss.. just like how the timing of your deposits & withdrawals at the bank doesn't affect your average daily balance over weeks & months. Makes sense? Fat loss is simple - eat right, exercise, repeat. :wink:

Love the comparison! Really helped me out thanks to both of you! ill keep doing what i do and let the results speak for themselves :)
  • Smirnoff65
    Smirnoff65 Posts: 1,060 Member
    Options

This.....
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    The time of day or night in which you work out will not affect your weight loss.

....but you believing that you're burning 900 calories in an hour most certainly will
  • xxval21xx
    Options
    The time of day or night in which you work out will not affect your weight loss.

....but you believing that you're burning 900 calories in an hour most certainly will

I never said my workout was limited to 1 hour..
  • jfcarlson713
    jfcarlson713 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    "work out - usually an hour or so before bed" - would lead one to believe you work out for an hour. I was going to reply that a 900 calorie burn in an hour was unrealistic too. :flowerforyou:
  • xxval21xx
    Options
    "work out - usually an hour or so before bed" - would lead one to believe you work out for an hour. I was going to reply that a 900 calorie burn in an hour was unrealistic too. :flowerforyou:

Ok sorry for being unclear. My english is not the best. What i meant to say was after my workout i wait 1 hour before going to bed.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

I never said my workout was limited to 1 hour..
    Every time i work out I burn on average 900 calories. I always work out at night, usually an hour or so before bed.

well, this is awkward. i misread and thought the workouts were an hour but what you actually wrote was that you worked out an hour before bed. which would still seem to indicate.....well, i guess you could mean that you finished your 90-120 minurte workout an hour before you went to bed. that would be an odd turn of phrase, but it would still make my assumption incorrect.
  • martinel2099
    martinel2099 Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    Doesn't matter. Weight is about calories in vs calories out. If you burn 500 calories on the tredmil at 6am vs 6pm it doesn't make a difference for weight loss. Same goes with nutrient timing, you could eat all of your calories right before bed and if you eat at a calorie deficit you'll still lose weight (g'luck sleeping with that full of a tummy though)