Calories??? Looking for knowledge....

Options
Hey all!

I've been playing the weight loss game for years and have recently been reading up on proper calorie intake for weight loss without putting yourself in starvation mode... (e.g. BMR, TDEE etc.....)

Looking to see what others people are following... (the simpler the explanation the better LOL!!)

I think I may be eating to little and this is concerning me... thanks in advance! :happy:

Replies

• OllyJ_79
    OllyJ_79 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    The simplest answer is all that is required is a sufficient calorie deficit and patience. All you really need is a digital scale, your BMR, and then an estimation of your daily total energy, TDEE, and then subtract 15-20%.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Wjats wrong with using MFP?
  • Jesse_Sue
    Jesse_Sue Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Thanks!

I think MFP's may be too low... It tells me to eat 1200 calories a day and I work out 6 days a week for an hour at a time and ride horses 5 days a week... In reading recent articles I am getting the idea that this is way to low... Just a thought... Figured I'd throw the question out there and see what other information and experiences people have had...
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    The simplest answer is all that is required is a sufficient calorie deficit and patience. All you really need is a digital scale, your BMR, and then an estimation of your daily total energy, TDEE, and then subtract 15-20%.

This^

Starvation mode (if it exists) is vastly exaggerated. Sure anorexics can screw with their metabolisms.....but regular dieting is not the same thing.

Proper intake for me is about keeping lean muscle & losing mostly fat. I want a lower body fat %. Aggressive diets and no exercise....or just cardio won't help me there.

Keep your weekly goal at a level that is appropriate for you. 2 pounds a week is if you have > 75 pounds to lose. 1/2 pound is more appropriate when you are within 10-15 pounds of goal. Not everyone should have the same weekly goal.
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    Thanks!

I think MFP's may be too low... It tells me to eat 1200 calories a day and I work out 6 days a week for an hour at a time and ride horses 5 days a week... In reading recent articles I am getting the idea that this is way to low... Just a thought... Figured I'd throw the question out there and see what other information and experiences people have had...

It tells you to eat 1200 calories, log your exercise and eat those exercise calories back. Are you doing that?
  • TeaBea
    Options
    Thanks!

MFP gave you 1200 NET....this is based upon "I want to lose XX pounds per week." If you put in an aggressive goal (or you are a tiny person, or you are older...think menopause).....MFP gives you the default minimum....1200

NET means you add exercise back. MFP gave you a deficit with zero exercise.....they just included your activity level....nothing more. So, log your workouts in & MFP and it will give you more calories**.

** Calorie burns with machines & MFP are typically generous. Start by eating back 1/2 the calories.....if you are tired or run down....eat more. If weight loss stalls.....then you are not logging something right.....food, double counting exercise/activity level....etc.
  • Happymelz
    Happymelz Posts: 536 Member
    Options

Starvation mode (if it exists) is vastly exaggerated. Sure anorexics can screw with their metabolisms.....but regular dieting is not the same thing.

It actually depends on the person. I was a recovered/over weight ex-anorexic who could NOT lose weight no matter what I did because I "dieted" for too long. I was 7 years recovered and "dieted" for several years trying to lose 20 lbs.

Last year I actually had to go on maintenance for several months before starting back on weight loss.

I know that some people say starvation mode is a myth. Maybe that is the wrong title for it...but I had "it" whatever "it" is.
  • TeaBea
    Options
    Thanks!

TDEE is a different method that INCLUDES exercise up front. You can reduce that number by a percent or 500 for 1 pound, etc. That way you don't need to log exercise.....it's included and averaged throughout the week.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Thanks!

you're just not using the correct settings. MFP and TDEE should work out the same once you eat back exercise cals.
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    Thanks!

What have you set your activity level and weekly weight loss goal to in MFP? The more weight you set to lose, the lower amount of calories you get. The initial amount of calories MFP generates does not include exercise calories. The system is set-up for you to eat back some of your exercise calories after you enter your exercises. If you want more specifics then post your stats:

Height:
    Daily Calories Intake:
    Weekly Exercise Activities:
    Weekly Weight Loss Goal:
    Desired Weight Loss Amount:
    Health Issues If Applicable:
    How are you measuring your food?
    How are you measuring your calories burned?
  • Jesse_Sue
    Options
    Gotcha!! This is all very helpful!! I get it now! Thank you everyone very much!!!

It is just really hard on the days when I don't get to work out to stick to 1200 calories.. LOL I just wanted to make sure that I was fueling myself properly :)
  • Jesse_Sue
    Options
    Thanks!

It tells you to eat 1200 calories, log your exercise and eat those exercise calories back. Are you doing that?

Yes... I just got myself all confused when I started reading other people's blog and posts and articles etc!! So many opinions! It's hard to keep it all straight :)

These are the times I wish I were rich and could have a personal trainer and a chef!!
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    Thanks!

What articles?
  • Jesse_Sue
    Options
    Oh just stuff in health magazines... or on the internet.... there is so much out there to read about...
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Gotcha!! This is all very helpful!! I get it now! Thank you everyone very much!!!

It is just really hard on the days when I don't get to work out to stick to 1200 calories.. LOL I just wanted to make sure that I was fueling myself properly :)

This would be a reason to use TDEE, as it averages the exercise calories, but you can do that yourself and look at your weekly numbers. I admit it's annoying to get the red line, though. Or, you can tell it that you have a smaller goal (if you have 2 lbs, you could try 1.5 or 1, although if you are small enough you'll get 1200 anyway) or consider if you put in sedentary whether you really should be lightly active or even active (that's what I ended up changing, when I realized that MFP's sedentary tends to mean walking very, very little, not just having a desk job). Or if you have a Fitbit that usually takes care of it.

Or you can just bump your number up a bit.

I did 1250 for some time, but ended up getting tired of it on rest days too, so am trying something where I bumped my calories up to 1400 and am trying to be active through my daily activity in addition to exercise. I end up getting fewer calories on workout days (but still more than rest days) than I otherwise would, but have a higher base goal.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    Oh just stuff in health magazines... or on the internet.... there is so much out there to read about...
    I never see it in magazines or books, just internet forums. Not that it's a health magazine, but last week's People had an article about a bunch of people who'd lost over 100 lbs., and gave a sample daily diet for each. They ALL ate egg whites for breakfast (among other things), and were at goal weight. Low cal/low fat is still really ubiquitous.
  • anapestic
    anapestic Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    If you are having trouble just on the days when you don't work out, you could switch to a weekly calorie count, or just take an average. So if you're getting an extra 400 calories 5 days a week, you could eat an extra 300 calories those days, and split the remaining 500 calories between your two off days. It should work out over time.
  • Jesse_Sue
    Options

This would be a reason to use TDEE, as it averages the exercise calories, but you can do that yourself and look at your weekly numbers. I admit it's annoying to get the red line, though. Or, you can tell it that you have a smaller goal (if you have 2 lbs, you could try 1.5 or 1, although if you are small enough you'll get 1200 anyway) or consider if you put in sedentary whether you really should be lightly active or even active (that's what I ended up changing, when I realized that MFP's sedentary tends to mean walking very, very little, not just having a desk job). Or if you have a Fitbit that usually takes care of it.

Or you can just bump your number up a bit.

I did 1250 for some time, but ended up getting tired of it on rest days too, so am trying something where I bumped my calories up to 1400 and am trying to be active through my daily activity in addition to exercise. I end up getting fewer calories on workout days (but still more than rest days) than I otherwise would, but have a higher base goal.

I am pretty sure this is something I am gonna try! Thank you!
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    I think MFP's may be too low... It tells me to eat 1200 calories a day and I work out 6 days a week for an hour at a time and ride horses 5 days a week... In reading recent articles I am getting the idea that this is way to low...

MFP assumes that you eat sufficient calories to account for those that you expend in training, it's 1200 net, not 1200 gross.

1200 is still low for a functioning human being, but I'm not wanting to start a religious war about it in this thread. Note that starvation mode isn't real, but if you're undereating you'll become lethargic, which has an impact on quality of life and base activity level.

For me, my intake is 2100 cals per day, to lose at 0.5lbs per week. If I run off 1000 cals then I have to eat 3100 to compensate.