Stuck between skinny or muscular..

Options
I've been lifting for about six months now. I eat about 1600 calories a day. I am aware I should probably be eating more, but that's an entirely different problem I have. I'm 5'5'' and 110 lbs. I have pretty defined shoulders and stomach, but my legs just seem to be getting bigger. By bigger I don't mean with fat, but muscle.. and I hate it. I squat 120 and DL 115. I guess i'm just asking if anyone else is/has been in this position and what they did to change their feelings?

Replies

• Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    I squat 120 and DL 115.

The weights you're using are way too heavy. Leave 100+ lbs to the powerlifters.
  • kschhr
    kschhr Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Isn't your DL normally more weight than your squat?
  • Brooke4206
    Brooke4206 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I squat 120 and DL 115.

You're kidding, right?
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    I squat 120 and DL 115.

I lol'd at this statement and it's ridiculousness.

There are two ways you can go about this: Lift lighter weights and do 12-20 reps to fatigue, which will help develop muscle endurance, but won't do much for raw strength, or lift 2-3 reps to fatigue for developing raw strength, but won't do so much for developing bulk and larger muscles.

You're probably lifting in the 4-8 reps to fatigue range, which will develop larger muscles the fastest. If you don't want big thighs, don't lift in this range.
  • Brooke4206
    Options
    Isn't your DL normally more weight than your squat?

I'm not sure. I just have a tough time maintaining my grip while DLing
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Are you sure they are getting bigger? Have you been taking measurements? Could it be temporary swelling?

I find big muscular thighs awesome but I understand not everyone does.

But if you REALLY would rather skinnier legs than read this:

http://bretcontreras.com/how-to-attain-a-slender-look-like-jessica-alba-zoe-saldana/
  • Brooke4206
    Options
    I squat 120 and DL 115.

I lol'd at this statement and it's ridiculousness.

There are two ways you can go about this: Lift lighter weights and do 12-20 reps to fatigue, which will help develop muscle endurance, but won't do much for raw strength, or lift 2-3 reps to fatigue for developing raw strength, but won't do so much for developing bulk and larger muscles.

You're probably lifting in the 4-8 reps to fatigue range, which will develop larger muscles the fastest. If you don't want big thighs, don't lift in this range.

Thank you. That was helpful. I do 10 reps.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    I have large thighs (muscle and fat). Sometimes it sucks finding jeans that fit, but rather than focusing on their size I focus on how they look and function. I like being able to deadlift over 300 pounds and squat over 200 pounds. It makes hiking easier. With the definition that I can see they are looking better all the time. I really started loving my legs once I started seeing the muscle.

Not everyone wants muscular looking legs. There's nothing wrong with cutting back if you really aren't happy with them. That's a personal choice you have to make.
  • Jim_Barteck
    Jim_Barteck Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Squatting 120 and deadlifting 115 is by no means too heavy. Ignore that.

What it sounds like you're asking about is a body image issue. Resistance training is going to add muscle. But I don't know a reasonable person who wouldn't find that *more* attractive rather than less. Are you getting negative reactions from people around you? My guess would be no.

I think this is a common issue with women, so you're not alone by any means. Your legs may not be as "skinny" as they once were, but that's a *good* thing, not a bad thing. At 110 pounds, I would be highly surprised if your legs are actually bulky, rather than just "not skinny" any more.

It would be nice to be able to crawl into your head and flip the switch to tell you that it's not just OK, but a very positive thing, to add some muscle and tone to your leg; but the best I can do is encourage you to change your perspective. At the end of the day though, this is something only you can do for yourself.
  • Brooke4206
    Options

What it sounds like you're asking about is a body image issue. Resistance training is going to add muscle. But I don't know a reasonable person who wouldn't find that *more* attractive rather than less. Are you getting negative reactions from people around you? My guess would be no.

I think this is a common issue with women, so you're not alone by any means. Your legs may not be as "skinny" as they once were, but that's a *good* thing, not a bad thing.

It would be nice to be able to crawl into your head and flip the switch to tell you that it's not just OK, but a very positive thing, to add some muscle and tone to your leg; but the best I can do is encourage you to change your perspective. At the end of the day though, this is something only you can do for yourself.

Thank you. This was probably the most accurate statement on the thread so far. I severely struggle with body issues and this is probably exactly that.
  • WombatHat42
    WombatHat42 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Typically if you are just trying to get "toned" squat/DL about 70% of your body weight. Also, your legs have A LOT of muscles(4 quad muscles 3 hamstrings groin muscles etc) so your legs will get a lot bigger faster. Legs(upper) is one of the easiest areas to add bulk(muscle) to when lifting. I would switch over to leg curl and hamstring extensions(especially with how dangerous squat and DL can be even with prefect form)

edit meant to say 70% at high reps(though even some trainers are saying that doesnt matter as much). I would recommend reading around the subject a bit. Doesnt hurt to be more informed
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options
    Take measurements, for certain. I am thinking that the perception of "huge" is a result of fat loss and not insane growth.

As for me... I love strong defined thighs and calves... I want them, and think they're sexy as hell!

Also - take pictures and try flipping them... sometimes what you "see" in the mirror, is not really what is there. It's a trained negative self perception that requires a lot of work to re-learn.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    I squat 120 and DL 115.

Or leave it for people who want to lift weight like me. Never enough 45 plates when three decently strong people lift at my school gym.
  • Rerun201
    Rerun201 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Sets and reps really matter when it comes to gaining size. My preference when trying to gain strength without size is to keep my reps down to 5 or fewer and sets down to 2, 3 max. It doesn't take a lot of sets or reps to build strength, just takes the ability to contract your muscles harder. Heavy reps train your muscles to contract harder to move the heavier weight. Check out Power to the People for further explanation.

Going with a set/rep schema such as 5x5 will tend to add some size to your frame. Too many sets making the volume higher than it needs to be for your goal.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Typically if you are just trying to get "toned" squat/DL about 70% of your body weight. Also, your legs have A LOT of muscles(4 quad muscles 3 hamstrings groin muscles etc) so your legs will get a lot bigger faster. Legs(upper) is one of the easiest areas to add bulk(muscle) to when lifting. I would switch over to leg curl and hamstring extensions(especially with how dangerous squat and DL can be even with prefect form)

No. Please just no.

-70% of body weight is an arbitrary number. That's tough for some and not tough for others.
    -Yes the legs have lots of muscles, but they don't get big that fast. As someone who has been bodybuilding for several years it's just not that easy to add muscle, even to the legs.
    -The leg curls and hamstring extensions put higher stress on the knees than squats or deadlifts. Squats and deadlifts are compound movements that use 70% of the body and help strengthen the core. I only use the curl or extension machines when I'm trying to increase the stress on the muscles and keeping them under tension to force size growth.
  • vmlabute
    vmlabute Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'2" and 130lbs. I DL 100+ because I want to be muscular (and that's the way my man likes it). Bigger, in the sense of muscles is never a bad thing but if you want to be toned/skinny then lift lighter with more reps :)
  • MagnumBurrito
    MagnumBurrito Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    OP, can we get some pics? I'm wondering if it's in your head. Either way, the Brett Contras article BusyRae posted above probably has the answers you're looking for.
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    You're 5'5 and 110 lb eating 1600 cals and your thighs are getting too large?........okay then.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    I squat 120 and DL 115.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options

I think this is a common issue with women, so you're not alone by any means. Your legs may not be as "skinny" as they once were, but that's a *good* thing, not a bad thing.

Thank you. This was probably the most accurate statement on the thread so far. I severely struggle with body issues and this is probably exactly that.

I suspect it really is in your head

at 5'5 and 110lbs you do not have big thighs - you really don't :flowerforyou:

And lol to the leave the weights to the powerlifters :laugh: