Frustration!!!

Options
Need to lose 60 lbs,45 year old female, started following MFP on 1,200 calorie diet 3 weeks ago, go to gym every day, mostly cardio, burn 200-300 calories per day at gym and do not add them back into my food allowance. Only lost about 5 lbs so far, and none in this week. Any ideas? I can't get discouraged this early in the game, but this is so frustrating. I needed to get off to a good start, and feel like I'm definitely doing my part, but results are not there.

Replies

• thegreatcanook
    thegreatcanook Posts: 2,419 Member
    Options
    You can do this. 1-2 per week is very healthy. Feel free to add me!
  • wlapp1107
    wlapp1107 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    1200 calories per day seems low to me and it may be causing your body to slow metabolism because of that. I am certainly a novice in this area but from what I have learned in the past four months tells me that you need more calorie intake to keep the engine running hot and burning fuel. I'm curious was other smarter people think. Otherwise it seems you are dedicated and doing the right thing with regular gym visits. Good luck.
  • Debmal77
    Debmal77 Posts: 4,770 Member
    Options
    I know its frustrating. I try not to weigh myself everyday. I expect too much that way. Make sure you fill everything in your diary. This helps to keep yourself accountable. Mix up your exercise routines too. Add me if like. Could always use new friends for motivation too....good luck...you can do it.....
  • vmlabute
    vmlabute Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    it's going to be a slow journey but you can do it!! Don't get discouraged and keep on pushing yourself!! Feel free to add me!
  • adsii1970
    adsii1970 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I am a 44 year old male and a Type II Diabetic, so I fully understand your frustration. It has taken me nearly a year to lose the 10 pounds and KEEP it off. What has helped me is to change my activity level beyond traditional exercise. I also had to learn the hard way that being as out of shape as I was, by exercising, I was building muscle mass. Yes, I was losing the fat, but when you replace a pound of fat with a pound of muscle, it will take a while for your efforts to show.

Once you begin to gain more muscle mass, the muscles will begin to burn more calories even at rest, meaning that if you are eating the recommended calorie intake, you will begin to see the weight loss. I am now to the point where I am losing about a pound and a half a week. By the end of September I should be able to have lost close to another ten pounds. Hang in there, remain dedicated.
  • delanab4
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I'm definitely not giving up, and still motivated to lose it. I guess I just expected bigger results the first few weeks, but I definitely feel 100% better, and know I'm doing the right thing. I've been eating a lot of tomatoes and salting them, so I think maybe salt is making me hold water. Not sure, but I'm not salting anything today and we'll see what happens. Thank you for the encouragement. :)
  • tuffinmypuff
    Options
    1200 calories per day seems low to me and it may be causing your body to slow metabolism because of that. I am certainly a novice in this area but from what I have learned in the past four months tells me that you need more calorie intake to keep the engine running hot and burning fuel. I'm curious was other smarter people think. Otherwise it seems you are dedicated and doing the right thing with regular gym visits. Good luck.

As your age you need less calories also females need less calories.
    Rule of thumb; 1200 is the base calorie intake for females. 1800 for males.
    OP your completely on track with 5 pounds in 3 weeks and that's awesome!!
    don't get discouraged you can do this! Good luck!!
  • jennifernoseworthy
    jennifernoseworthy Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I understand your frustration. It's so hard to lose weight and keep motivated. How did you figure your calorie count? Did you use MFP or another app? Working out at the gym is great.

I'll send you a friend request. We can do this together.