70-80g protein okay?

Options
I'm wanting to gain more muscle but still lose fat at the same time
I've done a few online protein calculators that consider my needs and 70-80g seems to be the average that I got
I'm 18 years old, 69kg and 162 cm high does 70-80g of protein sound right?

Replies

• Annienichole2003
    Annienichole2003 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    1 gram per 1lb of lean body mass is the most common equation. If you know your body fat percentage then you can figure out your lean mass to figure out how much protein you need.
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    I'm wanting to gain more muscle but still lose fat at the same time
    I've done a few online protein calculators that consider my needs and 70-80g seems to be the average that I got
    I'm 18 years old, 69kg and 162 cm high does 70-80g of protein sound right?

You should be consuming a minimum of 123g of protein per day.
  • EddieV2
    EddieV2 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I weigh just a bit more than you and have consumed around 2g/bodyweight (sometimes more) everyday. I also keep carbs around 150 (less or more depending on how hard I worked out) including fiber. Keep fats around 30%. You can go higher than this in exchange for carbs (if you eat more fats or protein, eat less carbs).
  • YahBuddy1
    YahBuddy1 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    My question is, do you think that number is too high or too low?

Eating more protein will not directly affect your fat loss in a positive or negative way. Eating less protein will affect your ability to build muscle mass. Fats and carbs have benefits as well but there are discussions on eating less carbs, within reason, will assist in weight loss as well. Please note, nutritional fat does not equal body fat.

Here are some general guidelines on the topic .If you eat and exercise to be below your calorie maintenance, you will gain muscle at a degraded rate and lose fat . If you eat and exercise at your calorie maintenance, you will gain muscle but not lose body fat. If you eat more than your calorie maintenance and exercise, you will gain both fat and muscle at a faster rate than below maintenance.

One gram of protein per pound of body weight (1 g/lb) or 2.2 grams per kilogram (2.2 g/kg) is the traditional recommendation for protein intake. However, this can be considered the upper bound of target intake, with the suggested range being 0.68-1g/lb (1.5-2.2g/kg) of total body weight.
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options

Eating more protein will not directly affect your fat loss in a positive or negative way. Eating less protein will affect your ability to build muscle mass. Fats and carbs have benefits as well but there are discussions on eating less carbs, within reason, will assist in weight loss as well. Please note, nutritional fat does not equal body fat.

Here are some general guidelines on the topic .If you eat and exercise to be below your calorie maintenance, you will gain muscle at a degraded rate and lose fat . If you eat and exercise at your calorie maintenance, you will gain muscle but not lose body fat. If you eat more than your calorie maintenance and exercise, you will gain both fat and muscle at a faster rate than below maintenance.

One gram of protein per pound of body weight (1 g/lb) or 2.2 grams per kilogram (2.2 g/kg) is the traditional recommendation for protein intake. However, this can be considered the upper bound of target intake, with the suggested range being 0.68-1g/lb (1.5-2.2g/kg) of total body weight.

No...The definition of "Maintenance" is that you're eating a calorie intake that causes you to maintain your weight. If you are gaining muscle and your body fat is remaining constant then you are not in maintenance. Also, if you're at a calorie deficit, you'd be extremely lucky to maintain your muscle mass, and most likely you'll be losing muscle mass, even with heavy lifting and adequate protein intake.
  • EddieV2
    EddieV2 Posts: 19 Member
    Options

No...The definition of "Maintenance" is that you're eating a calorie intake that causes you to maintain your weight. If you are gaining muscle and your body fat is remaining constant then you are not in maintenance. Also, if you're at a calorie deficit, you'd be extremely lucky to maintain your muscle mass, and most likely you'll be losing muscle mass, even with heavy lifting and adequate protein intake.

What AJ said. Truth.
  • YahBuddy1
    YahBuddy1 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    My mistake on the calorie maintenance information, I worded that incorrectly. You would be correct stating that gaining muscle while not losing fat would not be at maintenance and would be closer to some sort of a bulk. May you provide a definition on calorie maintenance and how it would affect your muscle mass and body fat while exercising?

I pulled this information from Reddit's /fitness FAQ, it has sources for the studies there. It indicates, especially for an overly-fat and under-trained person, that muscle mass can be gained while being at a calorie deficit but as you as you continue to lose fat and gain muscle, the harder it will be to gain muscle mass and suggests better results would be achieved from a bulk/cut cycle.

----
    Can I lose fat and build muscle at the same time?
    The ability to gain muscle while losing fat is dependent on the relationship between your fatness and muscularity. An overly-fat and under-trained person will be able to achieve simultaneous fat loss and muscle gain. A very lean person near his/her limit for muscle growth will not. As one moves away from the overly-fat, under-trained status towards a leaner, more muscular body this ability is diminished. At some point, the vast majority of people will see better/quicker results by choosing to do one or the other (gain muscle, lose fat - often referred to as 'bulking' and 'cutting', respectively) at a time. For a highly general rule of thumb: if you have been training effectively for a year or more, you're better off with a bulk/cut cycle. See Lyle McDonald's Adding Muscle While Losing Fat - Q&A for more discussion.

A 2011 paper suggests a weekly rate of body-weight loss of 0.7% can permit muscle gain in both men and women while losing fat mass. Women were also able to increase muscle while losing fat at a weekly rate of body-weight loss of 1.0-1.4%. Men, however, lost muscle mass at this increased rate.

How fast can I lose fat without losing muscle?
    There is a theoretical maximum amount of fat loss your body can endure, before it starts losing muscle. That amount is 31 calories/day/lb of fat (Note that the author revised this number from 31 to 22 cal an email exchange with Redditor, Chr0me). Be aware, though, that this data comes from the Minnesota Starvation Experiment, and uses subjects under severe dietary restriction that did not strength train. So the information should be taken with a grain of salt. See Lyle McDonald's take on this study for more.