Seriously?!

Options
At the gym today, the trainers were doing body fat analysis with their little hand-held electronic gadget. I took the test and was told I was overweight. OK - there's only one category above that on the paper, which is obese.

Yes, I do have weight to lose - but I'm only trying for 4-5 more lbs. I'm pretty happy with my weight and size, but am trying to get better toned. My BMI is 20, my waist circumference is 24.5 (these measurements were also taken during my encounter with the trainers). Most of my clothes are size women's S, I have trouble finding a bra cup that isn't too big, and I just figured I'd at least get an "average".

Just how accurate are these monitors? I have decided that the batteries must be defective in this particular device.

Sigh - - I think this is one example of why so many of us are not happy with our bodies.

Replies

• dave4d
    dave4d Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    What did it say your body fat % was?
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    well if you are analyzed to have a healthy body fat level then you won't need their personal training....

hmmm......

but if you are overweight...then they can sell you their services...their EXPENSIVE services.
  • mariasheehan
    Options
    Wow that's really harsh, sorry that happened, it would probably really make me down. my waist is 29 inches and my BMI is 23.6, I have a scale that measures body fat and mine is 26% which is ok for my weight and height (148lbs 5' 71/2). Did they say what your actual % was??
  • DianaPowerUp
    DianaPowerUp Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    A BMI of 20 is GREAT, but it is only one tool in the complete picture of healthy weight/body size. Here's some info about it:

BMI is between 18.5 and 24.9 (Normal Weight)
    People whose BMI is within 18.5 to 24.9 possess the ideal amount of body weight, associated with living longest, the lowest incidence of serious ilness, as well as being perceived as more physically attractive than people with BMI in higher or lower ranges. However, it may be a good idea to check your Waist Circumference and keep it within the recommended limits.

Note: Since Body Fat Percentage calculations use total body weight and not estimates of lean muscle mass and fat, BMI can not determine between the overweight and the more muscular. Use our Body Fat Calculator and Waist to Hip Ratio Calculator in combination with our BMI Calculator for a more accurate view of your body fat.

But I really can't believe that a trainer had the audacity to tell you that you are overweight! It could be that you need to tone up a bit, or lose a few, prob. both, but that is really a crude way to try to sell their services, I think.
  • DeAsh
    DeAsh Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Oh - I forgot the body fat. 28%. I weigh 117 and I'm 5'3".
  • mccorml
    mccorml Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    its wrong then those machines are most accurate in the morning they test more of the water in you than really anything else hope that helps
  • cassidystreasures
    Options
    im 5'3" and the wii tells me 124 pounds is where i should be. For me i'll be happy when i hit 150! since its been so long since i have seen that. If you feel good about yourself then i'd say ignore them, as someone else said they are trying to sell you their services
  • DeAsh
    Options
    its wrong then those machines are most accurate in the morning they test more of the water in you than really anything else hope that helps

That's an idea... considering I drank about 20 oz. of water during the hour before I got to the gym. :)
  • townell11
    Options
    Ha! That's ridiculous! I hoped you laughed at them when they told you that! Over weight, indeed. (Shakes head)
    117 at 5'3 with BMI of 20... I'd call that pretty damn ideal, if not on the skinny side of things. That's what my goal is! I'm 123 now, same height.
  • sarahTV
    sarahTV Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I think you kind of answered your own question, your goal is not to drop 20 lbs, your goal is to tone up...I would not pay attention to the trainers unless they have a specific way to help you tone a problem area. You sound like you're perfectly healthy and doing great!
  • sarahsmom1
    sarahsmom1 Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    Sometimes looks are deceiving. My daughter weighs 245 pds and her body fat is way lower than a old room mate that she had. She was about 100 pounds lighter than my daughter and her body fat was way higher. I'm am in no way saying you are this in any way. My daughter said there are skinny fat people. They are thin but have high body fat. I had never heard of this. I guess body fat is body fat no matter what
  • DeAsh
    Options
    Thanks - all of you! No matter what the numbers say, I know I am more fit now than I was 20 years ago, and that makes me feel pretty darn good.

Tomorrow is another day, and another fun workout! :)
  • smurfcore
    Options
    Those things are not super accurate-- they should never be done after a workout, either. They are pretty solid for tracking upwards or downwards trends if used under exactly the same conditions (hydration level, time of day, before a workout, empty bladder/etc) over a several-week/month period. At the end of the day, though, if you are happy with yourself, that is #1. (Well, that and being sure that your waist/hip ratio doesn't show that you are carrying around an unhealthy amount of intra-abdominal fat.)
  • HerbieSue
    HerbieSue Posts: 288
    Options
    Oh - I forgot the body fat. 28%. I weigh 117 and I'm 5'3".

As you said in the beginning.............................."Seriously"?
  • BethanyMasters
    BethanyMasters Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    Your BMI is on the lower end of Normal.

I'm pretty sure they were just using a ploy to get people to sign up.

Like somebody else said. You wouldn't need to pay for their services if you are a healthy weight.
  • CarolHudson11
    Options
    Sometimes you just need to roll your eyes and keep on walking! :noway:
  • dave4d
    dave4d Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    Your BMI is on the lower end of Normal.

I'm pretty sure they were just using a ploy to get people to sign up.

Like somebody else said. You wouldn't need to pay for their services if you are a healthy weight.

Actually, the only time I was ever tempted to try a personal trainer was when I was at my thinnest, and wanting to add muscle. Mass. If he didn't know the limitations of his machine, he probably wasn't worth hiring.