Too lazy to exercise

Options
I will be the first to admit that I am not active enough. And that I am lazy.
But I have some (good) excuses.
I have a 6 year old and a 3 month old, and I am a single mother who works full time. So finding the time is problem number 1. I have been thinking about getting up a half hour earlier in the mornings (sigh) and working out but problem number 2 is that I'm not sure what exercises to start with. I have a mini trampoline....and I could buy some hand weights. I also have a yoga video...
Any suggestions? Something easy to start with. I had a c-section 3 months ago and I haven't exercised in years so I need to start out slow.
Thanks for any advice!

Replies

• karenj_m
    karenj_m Posts: 215
    Options
    There is some good workout programs on youtube. Look up fitness blender its free and they have great info and videos for you to follow
  • krzykt75
    krzykt75 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I haven't done any of these workouts myself, but my sister in law (who recently had a baby as well) has been and seems to enjoy them. If you google 'Bikini Body Mommy Challenge' the workouts are all free on YouTube.
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,715 Member
    Options
    Start with walking as much as possible! Put the baby in the stroller (they generally love the outdoors, or will possibly nap) and let your 6 year old ride a bike next to you or pull them both in a wagon. Just start by moving more and being more active. A rigid program isn't really necessary right now. Good luck!
  • 365andstillalive
    365andstillalive Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    I'd recommend starting with something like Zumba for cardio, this used to be one of my favourite playlists: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0ZPgWSh2Yg&list=FLJhO4nyfKMCYzDt0fgOyx-Q&index=1 Since it's broken up into songs, you can decide how long to make the workout, I used to do the first 9 videos a lot, which is just under a half hour.

I do the majority of my workouts at home, so I find a lot of links online for stuff, now that I'v'e done a lot of zumba, I'm moving into what I'd call quasi-zumba, which is stuff like Shaun T's Hip Hop Abs (here's one of the workouts: http://vdownload.eu/watch/1165278-hip-hop-abs-disc-2-fat-burning-cardio.html) because they're slightly more intense and I needed something new.

Buying some light weights is a great idea though, it'll really open you up to a lot more workout videos to try, I also really like Xhit for short strength workouts for specific areas. They'll work the same section of your body for about 12min, and they tend to only require 3-5lbs weights to start with (here's the arm one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hAGfBjvIRFI -- the title is silly, but the workout itself seems to be helping my arms).

Edit: Forgot to mention, your older daughter might love doing some zumba with you! It'd be great to get her involved and make it something you do together :)
  • paulandrachelk
    paulandrachelk Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Try "grokker.com". They focus on videos for fitness (Weights), yoga and food. You can select your level and what type of activity you want. FREE!
  • jmtris
    jmtris Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Many gyms offer baby sitting for a small fee or it can be part of your membership dues.
    Use your lunch break to exercise.
    I have heard of "Mommy and Me" programs where you can exercise with your kids.
    Just move.... take the stairs, park further away in the parking lot, use your "smoke breaks" in unique ways.
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    Play with your 6 year old. Carry your 3 month old around. Call it bonding. Call it exercise. :D
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,958 Member
    Options
    I'm a mom of 4 kids that I homeschool. Somebody is in my face 24/7. I make 30 min during the day. I tell them to buzz off. Get your wee ones occupied with something. If they interrupt your workout, pause it and then get back.

I don't want to sound mean, but lazy isn't a legitimate excuse. I'm as lazy as they come, but I make myself move everyday. LORD I don't want to sometimes!!! You have to want it bad enough. Walk with the baby in the stroller. Exercise during the baby's nap. Make it happen. Even if it's just three 10-min sessions. Or 6 five minute ones. You are a mother! That makes you inherently strong. Grab the strength and make it happen. A healthy mommy is a better mommy. :smile:
  • Heatherbelle_87
    Heatherbelle_87 Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    Ok so I am no longer a single mom (just a couple of months ago) but was so I do feel your pain. You feel guilty leaving the kids just to work out. The bright side is you can get active with your 6 year old and wear your 3 month old, or use a stroller if you aren't in to wearing.

Go for walks and hikes!
    Kick a ball around with the 6 year old.
    Teach the older one who to skate or ride a bike and get a bike seat for the three month old (not safe to wear during that)
    Go swimming!
  • nicailyzee
    nicailyzee Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I am also a mom and I lost my weight from my second child by just eating better and walking everyday on my lunch break. I would just eat for the first 10 to 15 mins and then walk the rest of the time. You will be surprised that you may find a walking buddy who is like minded if you want to share your journey with co-workers. I also include my kids with Tae-bo( they do their own moves), or we just turn on the music and dance for 1 hour to 30 mins. I have three children and my two year old loves it. You can do it to suit the kids you do not have to do it for long. You also have some great suggestions here which I will use!
  • lynnmariedwyer
    lynnmariedwyer Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I can relate and actually just wrote on my hand "goodbye Laziness" before I read this. I need motivation also. I don't have kids, but I am stuck inside with an elderly person I care for, and exercise is up to me. I bought fun things - like ankle weights to add that added weight work when I'm doing normal things or even just sitting, I bought a ball that I love and is wicked gentle but can give you a workout. I remember using this ball, and a wall and having a great belly a few years ago. I bought a weighted hula hoop, and I am trying that. I of course have a bike, but I have to fight myself to get on it. That has to change. Good Luck!
  • cdahl383
    cdahl383 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    It's hard to find time to exercise when you have kids. I've had a hard time adjusting my workout routine over the last few years since having kids. It's not easy. Here's a few suggestions:

1.) Join a gym close to your work and workout there on lunch a few times a week. Works great for me (my gym has personal showers you can use afterwards which helps)
    2.) Exercise at home once the kids are asleep. I have some free weights and a bench in the basement, I just go down there after the kids are asleep and lift weights a few times a week for 30-45 minutes.
    3.) See if your parents or other responsible type adults can stop by your house for an hour once or twice a week so you can go to the gym or go jogging in the neighborhood.
    4.) Take long walks in the evening with your kids. Push your 3 month old in the stroller and have the 6 yr old walk along with you, or maybe ride a bike or big wheel, etc.
    5.) Get up early in the morning before the kids get up and exercise at home. I'm not a morning person so I just do the opposite and workout at night when they're asleep.

It can be done, it's not easy, but it's doable. Your situation is even more difficult in that you're a single mom where having another parent there would make it a lot easier on you. But there are a lot of other single moms on here and around the world that still find time to exercise and take care of themselves, so you can do it too! Good luck!
  • caranais
    caranais Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Hi first of all - congratulations. It is difficult to get going again when you feel that you are pulled in all directions already, and I know how tired you can feel with a young baby, another child and a full time job. (I doubt very much that you're lazy if you're doing all this!!) I have found that when I haven't exercised for a long time and just need to get back into the habit of "doing something", the Leslie Sansone walking dvd's are great (you can get them off You Tube). If you think that isn't enough, I suggest you try them - they are really quite good and you can put some of your own music on to listen to as I know it can be a bit boring, but you can do it in your own living room, and it's a great start - I found the 3 mile one a good starting point, but there are several to choose from. It's no good starting with something that's too much for you as you will probably give up, at least you will be able to do these, and you can adapt them to your own needs. I often found myself doing them 2 or 3 times a day, and afterwards always felt that I wanted to do something else. Good luck with your venture and don't be too hard on yourself xxx
  • BUTIgirl212516
    BUTIgirl212516 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I used to be like this. About two months ago I discovered BUTI (mixture of yoga, plyometrics, and dance) and not to sound cheesy, but it has changed my life! It's cardio, toning, and flexibility all in one, so it's all you need! And the best part is...it's FUN and makes you feel great! I've never stuck with a workout till I tried this. There's BUTI videos you can buy (and I've heard they are AMAZING) but I use these three free ones. Three days on, one rest day. It's tricky at first, but after a few days you'll be rocking it. Just give 'em a try. They burn about 500 calories per workout. Which is always a plus. =) The amount of strength I have gained in two months is crazy. Not to mention I lost ten pounds, which have previously been a VERY tricky ten pounds to lose.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2nYXzcdiTg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKsyeiUorzY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jFRTaUOG5Z8

Here's the actual BUTI site so you can learn more...

http://butiyoga.com/

Best of luck to you ♥

Also, BUTI has a facebook group. It's the most supportive group I have ever been a part of...it's a tribe really.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/579226618774942/

I've heard stories and seen many pictures of women on that page doing BUTI directly following their pregnancies. They've said it speeds their recovery up!
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    I think the biggest thing is you seem to be thinking of exercising as a chore. After the first three or four weeks of getting a little conditioned, it should actually be enjoyable and something that releases feel-good chemicals into your body. You should be seeing the benefits of more energy, less stress, and improved endurance.

Can you pick things you like to do? Walking, hiking, swimming, and yoga are some non-gym activities I love and I feel very centered after I do them. If you think of exercising as doing 30 Day Shred (not a bad program; I've done it) and the elliptical, then yeah, you're probably going to dread it. Take classes. Find things where you will progress so you can see how your body is changing.

The first 3 or 4 weeks suck for everyone.

Your body adapts to what you do consistently, not every once in a while. One's body loves to adapt to being fat and lazy. I know. I've quit exercising and have been 235, size 20 a couple of times.

I find that working out is my most favorite part of the day. When I first started, it felt like a chore, too.

If you watch TV, you have time to exercise.
  • new2canada
    new2canada Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I think walking is the best way to start, it is low impact and it doesn't require much effort. I found that watching my favourite TV show while walking on the treadmill helps a lot!
  • Footyandpuck
    Options
    Okay skip the walking. I can tell you, honestly, skipping is the best and is a form of High intensity interval training which will melt fat away. In the morning before work and before your kids wake up, get that rope and skip for at least 20 minutes at 30 seconds as fast as you can and then 60 seconds easier. This will raise your BMR and you will burn more throughout the day. (assuming toning and losinn weight is the goal.)
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    I will be the first to admit that I am not active enough. And that I am lazy.
    But I have some (good) excuses.
    I have a 6 year old and a 3 month old, and I am a single mother who works full time. So finding the time is problem number 1. I have been thinking about getting up a half hour earlier in the mornings (sigh) and working out but problem number 2 is that I'm not sure what exercises to start with. I have a mini trampoline....and I could buy some hand weights. I also have a yoga video...
    Any suggestions? Something easy to start with. I had a c-section 3 months ago and I haven't exercised in years so I need to start out slow.
    Thanks for any advice!
    We all can find excuses we all have pressures and yours are no more than many peoples. You have to decide you wish to do it. Many people get up hours early so they can exercise others do things late at night or in their lunch hours. How much time do you spend on the internet or watching TV? Well take some of that time and exercise. There are so many things you could do. Put your 6 month old in a stroller and go for a walk the options are endless but only you can do it

Good luck
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    you need to see a doc about whether you're recovered enough from your c-section. The main thing is to check that the ab muscles have come together again, and that there are no complications and everything's healed up right. It can take a while to recover from a c-section - it's major abdominal surgery. I've had 2 c-sections, and do heavy lifting. I got advice from a friend who used to be a physio about how to get back into exercising again after the 2nd c-section - it can be done but you have to be careful of specific things, like your abs muscles going back together - and there are specific exercises you can do to help this, which a doctor should be able to advise you about. Once you are fully recovered there's no restrictions.

gentle exercise like walking is fine even before you've fully recovered, but anything more strenuous you need to just get everything checked. As it's been a while since you've done exercise, probably walking is a good place to start. Then build up your fitness - stuff like exercise videos you can do at home so that's another option. If there's a gym with a creche then that's another possibility.

Also, I wouldn't call you lazy, being a single mum and working full time. Totally understandable that it's hard to fit in exercise and that you'd feel tired etc. It's totally possible for you to fit it in but I'd hardly call you lazy!!
  • judyde
    judyde Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    I have good news for you - you don't need to exercise to lose weight. It will help, since an active person burns more calories than an inactive one, but it's not required. All you need to do is eat at a deficit.

I've found that as I've lost weight, I have more energy. Now if I could only find the time...

Good luck to you!