Bloating from wheat?

Options
Hi,

I'm wondering if any one else out there has experienced bloating from wheat. I don't cut carbs, but I had cut wheat out of my diet for quite a while. The reason I did this was to see if it helped with a slew of other problems I was experiencing. I re-introduced it last week, and I am extremely uncomfortable with this bloating.

Nothing else has changed in my diet at all.

Replies

• alison067
    alison067 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I havn't had bloating for a while, then last night made a turkey bolognaise with brown pasta and bloated within ten mins. The weird thing is I had slice high fibre brown bread earlier and it didn't happen. Not sure what is going on. Maybe its the volume with me?
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,949 Member
    Options
    I get super gassy when I eat a lot of pasta, bread, etc. It hurts so bad. Definitely helped to cut them down a lot (I still eat plenty of carbs though, just mostly through veggies and the occasional whole grain).
  • nogreenthumb
    Options
    I do eat carbs as well, grains and vegetables. I never get bloated from those, and I consume quite a bit.

I will definitely cut it out for a few days, and see if that helps. My guess is it will.
  • ANNAvsANNA
    ANNAvsANNA Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    the problem sounds like gluten intolerance, honestly. i'm not a doctor (yet) but that's the first thing that came to mind when I read your post.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    Try a gluten free diet. That's what I did.
  • jbrownnolan
    jbrownnolan Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Anything dense and yeasty, I can eat foods with flour but not with yeast. There is such a things as an allergy to yeast, I've never been tested cause I just stay away from it, but all it takes is one bite of my daughters left over bagel and within 5 minutes I'm in "curl up on the floor" intense stomach pain that lasts 24 - 48 hrs. I don't need a test to tell me not to eat certain things.
  • theostlerscat
    theostlerscat Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I have had a very similar experience. I didn't realize that I was bloated at first. I normally eat very healthy, but my carbs included wheat and some sugar (contained in food products not added). I was having some problems with swelling, increasingly extreme swelling, in my hands, feet and lower legs and I had been gaining weight in spite of sticking to the recommended calories and exercising 5 days per week (lots of weight gain, like 10 lbs in a month!). I thought it was from sitting too much at work. I saw some shows on PBS, and they all seemed to concur that wheat and sugar were probably not good things to eat, so like you, I cut out wheat and sugar (I did not cut other carbs).

Much to my surprise, I went through terrible withdrawl symptoms for about a week! Who would have guessed? I was hungry even when I just ate, I was foggy-headed, head-achy, and waking up in the night with intense cravings. This lasted a week. Since then, I have lost about 10 lbs (probably bloating/water), I have no swelling and no cravings. I am now gluten free and I feel better than I have in a long time. I have not been diagnosed with any kind of gluten intolerance, but it sure looks like my body does not like something there. I wonder if I will be able to loose weight now. It seems like that was what was holding me back.