how long does it take to lose 20 pounds?

Options
I understand that the rate of weight loss is different for everybody. I am 5'9 (or 176 cm), and 120 pounds. I am 18 and would like to lose about 20 pounds. Is this realistic or will it take very long for me to lose that much weight? Anybody else with the same situation? Thanks.

Replies

• manicautumn
    manicautumn Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I don't think 100lbs is a healthy goal for a 5'9 woman. Can I ask why you're aiming for it?
  • fawndevere
    fawndevere Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I want to slim down my legs and face.
  • manicautumn
    manicautumn Posts: 224 Member
    Options

Have you considered lifting weights and exercise to shape your legs?
  • BigT555
    BigT555 Posts: 2,067 Member
    Options
    I don't think 100lbs is a healthy goal for a 5'9 woman. Can I ask why you're aiming for it?
    i agree, thats a really low weight for your height. 130 lbs is the bottom of the "healthy range" for 5'9 females with small frames
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    That really isn't a healthy target for your height - in fact you are already as low as you should be for your health

If you want to shape up your legs try weight lifting
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Putting aside the fact that it is an unhealthy weight, it will take a long time.

The more fat you have, the easier it is to lose. You're already skinny, so it's going to be very difficult. You might also die before you get there.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options

This^

You can't spot reduce (unfortunately)...I would love slimmer legs. Look into body recomposition........weights will help shape your body.
  • Laurenloveswaffles
    Laurenloveswaffles Posts: 535 Member
    Options

This^

You can't spot reduce (unfortunately)...I would love slimmer legs. Look into body recomposition........weights will help shape your body.

All this.
  • catic32
    catic32 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Don't focus on weight loss - focus on strength training. More muscle will give you more definition and probably the look you want
  • liekewheeless
    liekewheeless Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    Losing weight won't accomplish what you are looking for.

At 5' 9 you won't look any better at 100lb than you do now at 120lb. For toning and better overall body shape, lifting or other exercises that tone you muscles will get you much closer to what you're looking for. Toned muscles will tighten everything up.
  • kessler4130
    kessler4130 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    An over weight person, 10 weeks easily, at your weight ....... it would take quite a while as you must be at a fairly low BF%.
  • lsapphire
    lsapphire Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    You should talk to your doctor before you start this.
  • Philp0718
    Philp0718 Posts: 136 Member
    Options

This^

All this.
    Don't focus on weight loss - focus on strength training. More muscle will give you more definition and probably the look you want

Just added emphasis for these posts. I'm 5'4" and 120 is a low weight for me! Lift weights, do yoga and/or pilates to help shape your body, but stay healthy!
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    First of all, at 5'9 and 120 lbs you are already significantly underweight. If you lose 20 lbs, you will honestly look like a skeleton.

Sounds like there might be some psychological issues going on that need to be addressed. Please seek help from a psychiatrist specializing in body dysmorphia, EDs, etc.
  • SkinnyGirlCarrie
    SkinnyGirlCarrie Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    as a woman who is 5'10" I would suggest you try the weight training thing...at the time i thought i was fat and was still a bit heavier than you. i now know that i just wasn't toned and that's why i thought i was fat (guess i was that "skinny fat" thing). if i could only go back to then with my mindset now lol...don't focus on the scale. get a good strength training thing going and see if that gets you where you want to be :)
  • EvilFeevil
    EvilFeevil Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'1", petite and 100 lbs is *my* goal weight (that's what I weighed for years before I gained a buncha fat in my 30s so I know it's not too thin for my short self). You are 8 inches taller than me...you do *not* need to be 100 lbs. Even 120 sounds a bit low for someone of your height.

What you think is fat may just be skin, especially because you're young, your body could still be changing. I agree with those who say to talk to a doctor first; you just may have body dysmorphic disorder. Good luck to you.
  • RenewedRunner
    RenewedRunner Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    FOREVER. :grumble:

or if you are not me, maybe a little less
  • fawndevere
    fawndevere Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    thanks for all your suggestions, but whenever i look at the mirror, I just get the impression that I am fat and need to lose weight
  • LesliemarieAZ
    LesliemarieAZ Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Does anyone else smell a troll?