Breast feeding and losing weight

Options
Any other mama's on here breast feeding and losing? The first time I tried my supply took a hit but he's 8, almost 9 months old now so I'm not fighting as hard to keep my supply, and I've decided I need to be happy even if that means a little supplementing from the freezer stash again.

Replies

• StephanieL14
    StephanieL14 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I am! My little guy is just over two months. I have my calories set for lightly active and to lose half a pound per week. I eat back most of my exercise calories. I've been walking every day since I was able and doing the 30 Day Shred for the past three weeks and am steadily losing. Milk supply seems fine but we'll see how much he's gaining at our appointment next week.
  • Bhubacher77
    Options
    I am but I just started! I really hope my supply doesn't go down. My daughter is 3 months old and honestly, right now I have an oversupple. My goal is not to restrict and lose weight really fast, but to start eating healthier foods and not 5000 calories a day.
    Good luck to you!
  • Brianne1013
    Options
    I am still nursing my 18 month old and I have lost about 80 pounds since he was born (40 of that was gained during pregnancy).
  • fitlifemom
    fitlifemom Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm still nursing my 13 month old. I gained 60lbs during pregnancy and another 35 after being on DEPO so I am just now getting my head int he game to loose this weight. Feel free to add me.
  • jbrownnolan
    jbrownnolan Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    WAY back when (almost 9 years ago to be exact) when my daughter was 3 months old I decided it was time to lose the weight, within 7 months I lost 70 lbs and didn't lose a drop of milk (I nursed exclusively the whole time), but maybe that was just me, I've always said I could be that momma that had enough supply for triplets :D. Good Luck to you and congrats on your new babe.
  • defatify
    defatify Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I'm breast feeding my 8 month old and am just now (today!) starting an earnest effort at weight loss. I'm nervous about my supply so I set a goal of .5 pound loss a week. As long as calorie intake isn't too low and I keep my water intake up I think I should be ok. I also am making some lower calorie lactation cookies to help. It's a little under 300 cal a day for them, but I think it's worth it.
  • kcurtis05
    kcurtis05 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    I am and I hope to lose! I am not one of those lucky ones where the weight just falls off while BFing. My LO is almost 2 months and we have a 2yo. I have to start making an effort to get moving! Hopefully I will have more energy... hopefully...
  • radario
    radario Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I'm breastfeeding my 19 month old and haven't noticed any change in my supply even though I'm eating at a big deficit. I've always had a huge supply though, even had issues keeping up with oversupply.
    I gained almost 70lns during my first pregnancy. Didn't gain anything during my second but they were very close tiogether and I hadn't lost the weight from the first yet. I constantly heard how weight kist falls off when breastfeeding but no such luck here, I've had to fight hard for every pound.
  • zhou8759
    zhou8759 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I just started on MFP, and could use some friends. I have a 9 month old and had been worried about supply so I hadnt worked hard at loosing. Now Im ready! I hope to continue BF for quite a while as he is my last baby, and loves it so much.
  • Hotpinkshoelaces
    Hotpinkshoelaces Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I'm breastfeeding my 6 month old and initially my supply seemed to take a hit. I played around with my calories and it came back full force. Feel free to add me!
  • kathym617
    kathym617 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Me too! I have a five month old nursling, plus an almost 6 year old and a 4 year old (the latter nursed until she was 2.5, the former until 13 months). I'm also one of those women who gains rather than loses weight while nursing - I weigh as much now as I did when I delivered, which is 13 pounds more than I weighed a week after she was born (ugh). I am now 37 pounds heavier than I was 11 months ago, at 3 months pregnant (double ugh).

Because I am back to work and pumping during the day, I'm super concerned about supply (I had longer at home with the older 2 and waited forever to get around to losing the weight). I overrode the MFP settings on calories and set mine to 1700 and eat back some but not all exercise calories. I decided to actually get serious about losing the weight very recently (but have been tracking food here for a couple months - just eating too much and/or not logging everything), and seem to be losing without hurting my supply, but I'm going to keep an eye on it (which, I suppose, is the upside of having to pump during the week - easy to gauge).

Any other nursing moms, feel free to add me!
  • Advaya
    Advaya Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I am nursing my 6 month old. I just started to really focus on losing weight, and so far it doesn't seem to effect my supply. I've never been able to pump worth crap... like an ounce here or there.. but she gains weight so she's getting milk when she nurses. I do wish I could pump more though, a little jealous of those with oversupply (though I remember how annoying it was in those early days as it regulated!).

I am starting to lift weights (StrongLifts 5x5) and do the Couch 25K program. I plan to do them on the same days so that I get weekends off, with optional cardio tue/thur.

I would love more breastfeeding friends to support me. I plan to nurse as long as she can, though I will have to figure out the pumping situation once school starts up again for me. Suggestions? :(
  • ericalynn82279
    ericalynn82279 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I'm exclusively pumping for my 7 month old. I haven't noticed a dip in my supply since I started counting calories but I try to eat 1700-1800 cal a day. I'm pumping about 4-5 times a day and am getting around 27 oz a day. So far it's enough for my DD.
  • kmk1988
    Options
    I'm exclusively breastfeeding my 5 month old and on 1200 calories. Seems to be working for me, I am just getting started though. 2 weeks on my health kick, 5 days into this app. Would love to have some friends to motivate each other :)
  • bigmission2015
    bigmission2015 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I'm also breastfeeding my 9 month old and on 1200 calories. I just started towards my weight loss. Would love to have some friends to motivate each other.. Any one can add me..
  • jentroconis77
    jentroconis77 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I have a 8.5 month old little man, he's eating 3 meals a day, but BF in the day and before bed as well. I just changed my weight loss goals to .5 lb a week and it adjusted my daily calories from 1420 to 1600, I only want to lose another 5 lb so slow and steady she goes.
    Feel free to add me :)
    I love to see what everyone else is eating to get to their goal weight, my food diary is open for viewing as well.